Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
The SFO to CMH is the best thing I have heard all year!! This changes so much for me in a good way.
Being CVG based, I’m sad to learn of the UA time changes to the CVG-SFO flight, which are similar to the CMH-SFO flight. Starting this week, the westbound CVG flight is a morning flight (~7am), with the eastbound flight a red eye. Especially the eastbound won’t work for me anymore. Up until now, CVG was always a ~7pm departure westbound and ~9pm arrival, with the eastbound going at ~10:30am and arriving back in CVG at dinner time. The old timings were perfect for our few times a year trips to the Bay Area, which we’ve been on the nonstops for those about 5 or 6 times since it started about a year and a half ago.

We might take the morning flight out sometimes, as it may still work occasionally, but we’re more likely to do a connection now, either SFO or SJC - whatever makes more sense for each trip. Also mucked up our return from TPE next week - would have done TPE-SFO-CVG, where the old timing work well to connect. Between the choices, a stateside connection from SFO or all-day layover to the red eye are not good options, so we’re doing TPE-NRT (NH), then NRT-IAD-CVG.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
What happened to the MIA-SFO direct flight? I can't find anything after March 30. Is this always a seasonal flight?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
As an update for PHL-IAD, rumors from my company's travel geeks indicate that UA will bring it back as a seasonal flight. Fingers crossed! ^

It would only make sense to bring it back. Acela does PHL-DC in ~1:40 & PHL-NYC in ~1:15 (TERRIBLE O&D). Also, in regards to AA's similar short segments in the NE airpace that they refuse to cut, the airline has always been more interested in saturating that airspace with several smaller planes -- aka slot-squatting (intentionally under-using gate slots just for the sake of taking up space and keeping competitors out of the airport). So their LGA-PHL & DCA-PHL flights essentially exist for strategy, not profit.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MrGood
As an update for PHL-IAD, rumors from my company's travel geeks indicate that UA will bring it back as a seasonal flight. Fingers crossed! ^

It would only make sense to bring it back. Acela does PHL-DC in ~1:40 & PHL-NYC in ~1:15 (TERRIBLE O&D). Also, in regards to AA's similar short segments in the NE airpace that they refuse to cut, the airline has always been more interested in saturating that airspace with several smaller planes -- aka slot-squatting (intentionally under-using gate slots just for the sake of taking up space and keeping competitors out of the airport). So their LGA-PHL & DCA-PHL flights essentially exist for strategy, not profit.
I wouldn't call American's LGA-PHL and DCA-PHL slot squatting. AA is running about 4x daily currently in the summer and not the high frequency US Airways did in the past. As PHL is AA's TATL gateway, those are the primary links to New York and DC, two large markets with international demand.

For UA, IAD and PHL aren't slotted, so there isn't slot squatting in comparison. UA must have figured (when it cut PHL-IAD) thatt PHL pax traveling anywhere west can use the ORD DEN IAH SFO flights. It also knows Philly/Del Valley/Lehigh valley originating passengers drive or ground transport up to EWR, especially for international.

I suppose UA has to make enough PHL-IAD-international work but it knows PHL pax anyways will drive up to EWR.

Florida is no point, as ULCCs have that covered as the alternative to American's flights. e.g. no need to offer a discount PHL-IAD-MCO ticket. I suppose UA wasn't pulling enough passengers profitably on PHL-IAD-CLT/RDU/ATL to make PHL-IAD worthwhile. I remember seeing a PHL-IAD-PIT flight that was under $150 one-way and 3.5 hrs which is better than driving and lot cheaper than the $400 American was asking for a nonstop. If one is wanting the best, take a nonstop, even if it's on the competitor, AA. If one settles for a connection, UA figures an extra one hour backtrack to ORD isn't that big of a deal. e.g. an PHL-ORD-CLE vs. a PHL-IAD-CLE.

I suppose if it brings it back as a seasonal, it's for the PHL-IAD-Europe itineries in the summer.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by beyondhere
I wouldn't call American's LGA-PHL and DCA-PHL slot squatting... I suppose if it brings it back as a seasonal, it's for the PHL-IAD-Europe itineries in the summer.
I would have to agree with many of your points...AA doesn't seem to care about O&D for PHL-DCA (DCA being a high-demand, slot-based airport to boot), so why should UA for PHL-IAD? I still miss connecting through IAD as pax such as myself heavily depended on connecting through there due to the hub being closer, more user-friendly, having better flight options, nicer staff, etc compared to the other hubs. For example, I just got back this weekend connecting thru ORD via Int'l, and that was a complicated nightmare compared to connecting thru IAD. Anyhow, I really think UA's depriving PHL with many connections to both East and West just by cutting the IAD route, and the remaining planes & waitlists for the remaining routes have been saturated because of that in addition to no fleet additions for existing PHL routes. Let's hope the seasonal route moves to becoming a permanent reinstatement. ^
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
UA knows where their PHL passengers are going and how much they are paying. I doubt they care to operate a PHL-IAD leg if it's to connect people to MCO for $150. That's a waste of resources so just let them fly AA, Spirit, etc.. OTOH, to get them to FRA, ZRH, MUC, NRT, etc., yes, I'm sure they are interested in providing that link. As I said, only they know how many passengers have been doing that and when.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:36 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
PHL has become one of my most frequent destinations (4-5 times a year). I only fly UA. It was a PiTA taking the train up to EWR to get to Florida when I’d do a back-to-back trip. I actually wouldn’t mind routing via IAH for the additional PQMs, but it was often cost prohibitive.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by atbPy
About time CMH gets a SFO route.
I'm surprised it took that long. IND-SFO began in 2014 and has performed well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.