Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying UA to NRT/then ANA to BKK.. will partner allow allow my carry-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I've received good guidance from this forum in the past... and have a request for you all:

I'm flying WEDNESDAY (9/26) on United from IAH to NRT... then NRT to BKK (Bangkok) on United partner, ANA (All Nippon Airways). I want to go carry-on only. My carry-on is a Tumi, US approved but a bit larger than the international allowances (it's bigger than the itty-bitty-bags I see Europeans carry on!). I'm a 1K in Polaris on the United flight. Coach from Tokyo to Bangkok.

So here's the question: will I be able - in your opinion - to carry it on the 2nd flight (ANA) as well? If they're going to end up checking up on that second segment (ANA), I might as well check it in Houston.. all the way to Bangkok.

Of course, nothing is certain - but I thought I would check in here for best guidance on how to proceed. Thank you, fellow frequent flyers!!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
I doubt United or ANA would nitpick you. I have had nothing but great experiences with United and ANA in NRT. The staff for both are pretty good!
ventelatte and SanDogEngr like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't ANA's carry-on allowance actually larger than United's?

I have never noticed carry-on policing with NH. I have also never seen overhead space scarce with NH as it is on UA.
ventelatte likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I did LAX-NRT-BKK three times last year on UA and ANA. I never saw anybody at NRT check luggage size at the gate. I think you'll be O.K. I also used a Tumi but it is regulation size 9x14x22.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Isn't ANA's carry-on allowance actually larger than United's?
UA: 9 x 14 x 22 inches https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx
NH: 10 x 16 x 22 inches https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/internat...arry-rule.html

NH also has a 10kg limit which UA doesn't have, but I suspect that is not enforced.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

This is good to know.... sometimes they can be quite picky. I'm going to take my chances and carry it on.

Really appreciate the fast feedback, from all of you! -Janet
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you... I didn't know. I'm going to attempt carry-on, all the way!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just as a general rule: each carrier has their own carry on specs, and the limit they use isn’t going to change based on who you are connecting off of or to. So the wise thing to do is bring a carry on that conforms to the specs of all the carriers the carriers you are flying that day. That way, there shouldn’t be a problem. You can always try getting away with having a bigger size bag, but is subject to be checked if they are enforcing it that day. Certain carriers are also more strict than others - given, for example, that LH is a stickler for rules, probably not a good risk to take with them, for example.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
NH also has a 10kg limit which UA doesn't have, but I suspect that is not enforced.
I have never seen that enforced. Has anyone else?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I have never seen that enforced. Has anyone else?
Not on NH, but I once had the Royal Jordanian check-in counter in AMS strictly enforce their 7kg carry-on limit. They forced me to check my tiny bag, full of handwritten documents.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I've never had an issue connecting from a United flight to an ANA flight at NRT, even when carrying a full size carry on and personal item.

As you're Star Gold, you'll also likely board early enough that overhead space isn't an issue.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, many others
Have done this connection many times, but has always been business on United and ANA. Never seen any checking of size of weight of bags by ANA in Narita. Safe travels.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I've never experienced NH weigh carry-on bags and fly them both domestically and internationally, including two trips ex NRT to Asia in the past few months. Anyway, you shouldn't be checking in with them since you'll get your boarding pass in the US anyway (that doesn't work int'l to domestic since boarding pass sizes are different—but you might be able to check in with the NH app if you have the right number (reservation numbers are also different "sizes" domestic and intl). Anyway, the only time you should have to deal with staff, when they might look at your bag and ask to weigh it is at the counter. They won't care when you pre-board with the *A gold group.

(FWI I've had TK, SQ, and TG weigh carry-ons at check-in in NRT and HND, but even then they seem pretty lax at the business counter (even tho' I'm a *A Gold flying in Y). In May a TK staff member recently stopped me as I was walking away from the counter at NRT and asked to weigh my bag, which was certainly several kg over their limit, picked it up and gave the facial expression equivalent of meh, close enough, and wished me a nice flight.)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Never had anyone at ANA blink at my B&R. I wouldn't think about it for another second. Worst case scenario is they ask you to check it once you get to the gate in NRT. Not like they're gonna deny you boarding.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I fly a lot of intra-Asia flights. I've had my carry-on bag weighed by check-in agents from ANA, EVA AIr, and China Airlines. The strictest agent I faced made me remove stuff from my bag until I was within 0.2 kg of the 7 kg allowance.

EVA does give business class and also *G a 10kg carry on allowance... ANA might do the same.

FWIW my bag is a B&R Verb Pilot. It fits well in the UA, BR, CI and yes the NH sizers, and I never over-stuff it. I mention that to highlight that I wasn't asked to weigh it because a check-in agent eyed my bag and thought it looked heavy - they were just weighing every bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.