Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver - Typhoon Mangkhut, HKG - Sep 15 to 17th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver - Typhoon Mangkhut, HKG - Sep 15 to 17th

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
The Tuesday departure EWR uses the plane flying EWR-HKG on Sunday, which is still on time. But I'm sure UA is still assessing whether or not a Monday evening arrival into HKG will be feasible.
If not, then your HKG-EWR on Tuesday will be canceled.
UA delayed the return sufficiently that I was able to cancel without any problems. Full refund to my original form of payment. Since I wasn't going to make the trip this was the ideal outcome for me.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Nothing very useful for those of you trying to figure out your logistics, but just a comment. I'm in Shenzhen for the weekend. I was planning on spending today/tonight in HK, since, in my experience the typhoons in HK are more an annoyance vs a big deal. Not so much with this one, this one is no joke.

Even though I am ~30 miles north of HK, SZ is getting hammered hard. For those of you that know the Grand Hyatt SZ, people were getting seasick in the lobby lounge due to the building's swaying, which you could visibly see when looking in relation to the neighboring buildings, and a number of windows in the apartment buildings next door have been blown out. Everything in town is shut down, and its a mess outside.

I'm assuming its much worse in HK itself and there is going to be some post storm clean up and chaos going on. I'm sure they will recover quickly, but its likely to cause some headaches for everyone.

Best of luck with your travel logistics!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Tue HKG departures are all delayed: SFO for 3 hours and ORD/EWR many more. Looks like pilots and FAs are being deadheaded to HKG right now (Sun US departures, arriving Mon evening), and the Sat HKG departures carried all the non-HK based crew as deadheaders who arrived HKG Fri night.
jonisflying likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.