Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United charging different WiFi prices depending on logged in or not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United charging different WiFi prices depending on logged in or not

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat
What email address do you write to to get a refund? Had similar issues on my flight.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The same happens with flight purchases, not just wifi purchases.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by rooivalk
What email address do you write to to get a refund? Had similar issues on my flight.
I got a refund after filling out the Contact Customer Care form.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
$40.99 for one flight or $49 for an entire month of domestic flights. I know which I wuld choose...
Unless almost none of the flights really work at all, or at a usable speed, and they refuse your refund request because you bought a subscription.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
This is definitely annoying... I hope this is a bug rather than intentional. Perhaps in the OP's case... perhaps United is picking up on his "SkyTeam" allegiance.

I personally travel enough and am also expected to be in constant communications, so the $69/month for Global Wifi is worth it for me. That said, I wish it were more consistent/better
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:16 pm

Really disappointing to learn this - as someone who frequently pays for wifi on united flights I would have expected to receive a discount (rather than a premium) when purchasing with my mileage plus account
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
This thread should be merged with the Plat benefits. Why? Because it's clear that, as a Gold, I can sent a note about poor or useless WiFi and, at best, get a refund. You Plat & 1K guys get 10,000 miles! :-(
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
I wouldn't be surprised if part of it has to do with the fact that they offer a 25% discount (statement credit? I can't remember) with your MileagePlus card. Either way, it's shady. Not that it matters to me, I've had to submit refund requests for my last 5 flights, no joke. My company pays for them, I just need the WIFI to work for once.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Personalized wifi pricing is now live

Went to purchase wifi on UAL762 KIAD-KIAH this morning:

Initial offer was $12.99 for 2h or $13.99 for full flight
Chose full flight, logged in with my MP number
Offer is now $12.99 for 1h or $17.99 for full flight

Of course I didn't screenshot it, assuming this was just a persistent rumor.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2020 at 12:35 pm Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did revert upon loging out? Is it actually personalized or variable?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd forgotten about this thread, and I didn't bother playing games with it.

On the receipt it was also confused about the flight number (different in subject line vs body), so may have been related to that.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
For me being unemployed, on my own $$$, UA have priced themselves out of my market and I can survive without it. I do buy on LH for $20 for 24 hours and used it BLR-FRA & MUC-ORD (same 24 hour period).

UA can stick it to those who have to have it.

As to the different pricing- I agree with earlier poster not much different than the TOD offerings to kettles while 1K's get crap.

I haven't tried Windows 10 hotspot as I use a HooToo but like the idea- thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you are doing more than one flight, monthly pricing can generally beat the sun of the individual flights. And is very predictable in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you are doing more than one flight, monthly pricing can generally beat the sun of the individual flights. And is very predictable in advance.
Sadly, my current employer refuses to cover subscription pricing, even the monthly subscription, because we operate on grant/contract funding and they would much prefer to charge individual projects the one-time fee than absorb it into overhead costs or trying to figure out how to pro-rate to the projects. Many people on federal funding may be in similar boats.

I've been lucky in that I haven't yet seen wifi costs above $25 or so, but maybe the markets I'm flying are less in demand.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid
Sadly, my current employer refuses to cover subscription pricing, even the monthly subscription, because we operate on grant/contract funding and they would much prefer to charge individual projects the one-time fee than absorb it into overhead costs or trying to figure out how to pro-rate to the projects. Many people on federal funding may be in similar boats.

I've been lucky in that I haven't yet seen wifi costs above $25 or so, but maybe the markets I'm flying are less in demand.
No referring to an year subscription, just the 30-day "pass". At $25, a single monthly $49 domestic 30-day wifi "pass" fee breaks even on one roundtrip, presumably on the same project -- then wifi free for the rest of the 30 day period. Just buy individual monthly "pass", and not the auto-renewing subscription or the yearly fee.

I look at what I am doing in the 30 day period, try to fit the time frame to cover 2 RTs and charge each RT on a prorated basis. So no more than $12.25 per direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.