FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Automatic Upgrade Request Inhibitor (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1928983-automatic-upgrade-request-inhibitor.html)

DWAGENT Sep 4, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone. I think the consensus is that it's not possible. Thanks to all for the sanity check / confirmation that I hadn't missed anything on the app / site.

As for making a reservation without an MP number...that's an interesting alternative, I hadn't considered that, thanks. I do like most of the benefits, like the bonus points, and the free checked bag, and priority boarding, etc...I just didn't want the "automatic" upgrade / seat change benefit.

As for what seat in economy is so special...it's not any particular seat or any general reason, it's related to a personal health issue...so don't worry, no one is missing out on any secret fun in the back of the cattle car...

Kacee Sep 4, 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30168112)
Sure, MileagePlus is an optional program. Don’t join, or stop providing your frequent flyer number during the reservation process, and you’re extremely unlikely to get upgraded. :) And, if you’d prefer to have only the mileage earning and nothing else, you can ask for retroactive credit after the flight.

Sounds like the solution to me.

Originally Posted by Scifience (Post 30168121)
I'm struggling to think of a scenario where the best Y seat would be preferable to an F seat.

On an airbus, 7A, C, D, or F, with open middle, was IMO preferable to 1E/F. That's no longer true since they slimined Y in these aircraft.

emcampbe Sep 4, 2018 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30168086)
So let me ask another question that I probably already know the answer to: can you opt-out of your upgraded status entirely? In other words, if I travel enough to qualify for a premier level, but I don't want it...can I refuse it or retroactively downgrade my status? Or am I automatically bumped up to a new level, and that's that?

definitely sounds like a request for a really low minority, but really, who am I to judge?

if you don’t want any of your premier benefits, probably the best way is simply to leave your MP # off your booking entirely. If you do indeed want the miles to redeem for whatever later, you can always leave your MP # off, and then request retro credit for your flight afterwards. While this would also have to be done manually for each itin, you can at least do this online so t doesn’t require a phone call.

But there is is a lot of conveniences you could lose. For example, by not using your account, you’d have to manually enter your personal info. each time you book a trip (though come to think of it - you might be able to book through your account with saved info and be able to not select a mileage program at that part - presumably this can be done - I’ve just never tried). You’ll also probably lose some other perks you really do want, like higher priority for rebooking/standby in IRROPS, etc.

jsloan Sep 4, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30168135)
As for making a reservation without an MP number...that's an interesting alternative, I hadn't considered that, thanks. I do like most of the benefits, like the bonus points, and the free checked bag, and priority boarding, etc...I just didn't want the "automatic" upgrade / seat change benefit.

Consider crediting to another *A program instead, then. If you travel enough to get to *G, you’d get many of these benefits, plus United Club access for all departures. *G are not eligible for complimentary upgrades, so your chance of getting upgraded is low (it’d only happen if economy were oversold and all eligible UA passengers had already been upgraded).

Collierkr Sep 4, 2018 8:31 pm

You're right, and I understand I'm definitely in the minority...but I was hoping there was some manual opt-out, or some secret way to beat the system.

So let me ask another question that I probably already know the answer to: can you opt-out of your upgraded status entirely? In other words, if I travel enough to qualify for a premier level, but I don't want it...can I refuse it or retroactively downgrade my status? Or am I automatically bumped up to a new level, and that's that?

ok this is even more bizarre than your first question. Why? You lose a number of useful benefits including better IRROPS handling.

lamphs Sep 4, 2018 8:47 pm

Avoiding CPUs has been on my mind for awhile. If I am traveling on my own, a CPU is great (as well as all of the other benefits). But I travel with a group of work folks on routes that I have a decent chance of a CPU. The other folks rarely travel by plane - not even personally. I am dreading the day that I receive a CPU while everyone else is in the back. They can make some trouble for me workwise - maybe not intentionally; but it would certainly raise questions and I'd have to provide explanations to those who have no familiarity with FF programs. (My status is more so from personal travel.)

My solution is to monitor the upgrade list and if I think I have a chance of a CPU, I'll speak with the GA.

fumje Sep 4, 2018 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168356)
Avoiding CPUs has been on my mind for awhile. If I am traveling on my own, a CPU is great (as well as all of the other benefits). But I travel with a group of work folks on routes that I have a decent chance of a CPU. The other folks rarely travel by plane - not even personally. I am dreading the day that I receive a CPU while everyone else is in the back. They can make some trouble for me workwise - maybe not intentionally; but it would certainly raise questions and I'd have to provide explanations to those who have no familiarity with FF programs. (My status is more so from personal travel.)

My solution is to monitor the upgrade list and if I think I have a chance of a CPU, I'll speak with the GA.

That one is a lot easier. If you all CPU together before check-in—great. If you don't, then when you check in, decline the upgrade waitlist.

lamphs Sep 4, 2018 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 30168365)
That one is a lot easier. If you all CPU together before check-in—great. If you don't, then when you check in, decline the upgrade waitlist.

Thanks. I was not aware that I could actually decline at check-in (probably just missed it). I'll be checking in later in the week and I'll pay more attention.

(And this is great - I got to post to a 'trending' FT thread!)

fumje Sep 4, 2018 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168386)
Thanks. I was not aware that I could actually decline at check-in (probably just missed it). I'll be checking in later in the week and I'll pay more attention.

(And this is great - I got to post to a 'trending' FT thread!)

Note that if more than one other person on the PNR is not a Premier member, you aren't eligible (for automatic upgrade) at all. The companion policy is partway down the page here:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

jsloan Sep 4, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168386)

The is only applicable if you're traveling on a single reservation with your co-workers. If you each have separate reservations, you won't have the option to decline the CPU (except by calling as the OP mentioned).

Kannai Sep 4, 2018 10:08 pm

Alternatively, just check in a couple hours before your flight instead of 24ish hours in advance. You'll fall lower on the upgrade list. Look at the number on the list and the number of available seats. Only when there's a real chance of being upgraded at the gate—or if you get an email a day (if you're silver) or more (if you're higher) in advance that you got upgraded, or, you look at the the F cabin a couple days before the flight and it's still wide open and you might get upgraded more than 24 hrs in advance, would you need to call.

dblumenhoff Sep 4, 2018 10:57 pm

Purchase a hidden-city ticket, and when you exit your itinerary early, jump and wave your hands to the GA and tell them that you're leaving the airport. They'll strip you of your status without a problem.

COSPILOT Sep 5, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168356)

I was traveling to a company meeting, and as luck would have it, a colleague was on my same flight. I as a 1K scored the upgrade, she had zero status and sat in the back. Somehow she fit that into her presentation and resented me ever since. Privately she thought I should have given her my seat. I honestly didn't know what to say to her, but I was annoyed that she started her presentation with singling me out about the trip.

Phil Level Sep 5, 2018 9:17 am

Originally Posted by prometa (Post 30167868)
Just to be clear, UA will not remove your existing seat assignment just because you are on the waitlist—they will only change your seating assignment if you are upgraded. You are saying you do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, and would prefer your economy seat over first?

There’s several reasons I can think of why someone might not want to be upgraded. Just wanted to confirm that’s what you meant.

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30168061)
I don't know the odds, and I assume it's low, but you know that old saying..."when you least expect it..."

And you're right--if I DID happen to get upgraded, I'm sure I could swap with someone...but I'm not sure I would be able to swap back to the same seat that I had originally.

Yes, you understood my intent perfectly--I do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, I would prefer to keep the seat that I selected during booking (in economy class--over a first class seat, business class, or even in a different economy section).

Sadly there are countless reports here on FT of UA changing seat assignments, and if/when you fly UA enough times, it will eventually happen to you. Happened to me last month on LAX-HNL flight, but I got lucky and caught the seat change in time to set things back to how I wanted them (there were 6 of us flying that day).

sabbasolo Sep 5, 2018 10:16 am

I remember once about 40 years ago being upgraded on an international flight and them meeting the company CEO who was sitting in the back. I just mumbled something about miles and upgrades....