FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Automatic Upgrade Request Inhibitor (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1928983-automatic-upgrade-request-inhibitor.html)

DWAGENT Sep 4, 2018 5:15 pm

Automatic Upgrade Request Inhibitor

Hi fellow flyers--

I have what may seem like an unusual question, but hoping someone can help me anyway. I have managed to achieve premier status with Mileage Plus, and I enjoy most of the benefits, but there is one benefit which I do NOT want to use, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it. When I book I flight, I like to choose my own seat specifically...but with premier status, it seems like I am always automatically placed on the upgrade waiting list. I don't want that--I want the seat that I picked.

I've never actively asked for an upgrade or to be placed on an upgrade waiting list--it (the app) just tells me that I'm eligible and/so I'm automatically on the wait list. What I have done about this so far is to contact the Reservations desk and ask that I be taken OFF the upgrade wait list...and then they flip an "upgrade inhibitor" flag on my reservation.. But they said this is per reservation only, and cannot be done "permanently".

They told me that if I don't want to be placed on the upgrade waiting list, don't request it on the app during the check-in process...but I have combed the screens of the app (and the website), and there is no opt-in or -out section of the check-in process.

Is there anyone with more experience with this that can tell me what to do about this? Either tell me where in the app / site that I can opt-out, or who can I call or talk to to opt-out without calling reservations every single time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

findark Sep 4, 2018 5:22 pm

I do not believe this is possible; as you have discovered, you can remove upgrade eligibility from a reservation by requesting that, but this cannot be the default state.

Do you know how often you might be upgraded otherwise? For most Premier levels and routes, the odds of an upgrade are relatively small. Even if you do get upgraded, it's going to be an extremely rare pax in your old Economy seat who won't want to swap with you.

prometa Sep 4, 2018 6:00 pm

Just to be clear, UA will not remove your existing seat assignment just because you are on the waitlist—they will only change your seating assignment if you are upgraded. You are saying you do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, and would prefer your economy seat over first?

There’s several reasons I can think of why someone might not want to be upgraded. Just wanted to confirm that’s what you meant.

emcampbe Sep 4, 2018 6:04 pm

no way to get yourself taken off the advance upgrade list (CPU) as a default as far as im aware. Calling in each reservation to request it is the only way I’m aware of.

When the agent referred to being able to do it at check in, that’s for the upgrade standby list - applicable if elites don’t get upgraded in advance. Typically, if you’re eligible to go on that list and are on a PNR with more theman one person, you’ll be asked at check in, as doing so will split the PNR, as only single person PNRs can be put on that list. As far as I’m aware, there’s no option for this if you’re traveling on your own, as your already on a single person PNR, and almost everyone wants that shot if it’s available.

Youre provably in the minority - not wanting to get upgraded, so the system is rrally built for the majority.

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30167771)
Do you know how often you might be upgraded otherwise? For most Premier levels and routes, the odds of an upgrade are relatively small. Even if you do get upgraded, it's going to be an extremely rare pax in your old Economy seat who won't want to swap with you.

IME, this is highly dependent on various factors including route, time of day, etc. I’ve also seen seats in Y get snapped up very quickly once they are released - these days, with oversold flights, BE only getting selection at the last minute, etc, people moving into vacant seats can happen very quickly.

If you’re a 1K traveling out of SFO at key peak business travel times, yeah, even for them CPUs are going to be tough. But traveling at non-peak times, or non-peak routes, or during the holidays, etc, there are certainly times when even silvers on low fares can score a CPU. I realize the tendency is to see how hard it is, since people are much more likely to complain when they don’t get a CPU, and less likely to come back here to mention when they do. But it does happen, at all levels, but very dependent on situation.

onthesam Sep 4, 2018 6:15 pm

Can make reservation without MP #. But then again, why?

findark Sep 4, 2018 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 30167879)
I’ve also seen seats in Y get snapped up very quickly once they are released - these days, with oversold flights, BE only getting selection at the last minute, etc, people moving into vacant seats can happen very quickly.

Yes, my point was that (especially for random good E+ seats snapped up at the last minute) most pax are quite receptive to the "I really wanted this specific Y seat, would you mind taking my seat in F?" request :)

mahasamatman Sep 4, 2018 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam (Post 30167914)
Can make reservation without MP #.

That's the best option, though you also miss out on the other benefits (boarding priority, checked bags, etc).

Originally Posted by onthesam (Post 30167914)
But then again, why?

I feel like we're living in Bizarro world...

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30167961)
most pax are quite receptive to the "I really wanted this specific Y seat, would you mind taking my seat in F?" request

Which generates a whole bunch of posts like "but I was next on the upgrade list - I should get that seat".

fumje Sep 4, 2018 6:58 pm

There is no way to automatically cancel the Premier upgrade request. Indeed as you've observed, the app and website offer no way to explicitly decline unless you book with a companion, and that is only if you have not been upgraded prior to check-in.

As far as I can figure, the options, if you are committed to not being upgraded, are to (1) call every time to have the request removed or (2) take matters into your own hands and ask someone to swap in the event you are upgraded.

DWAGENT Sep 4, 2018 7:11 pm

I don't know the odds, and I assume it's low, but you know that old saying..."when you least expect it..."

And you're right--if I DID happen to get upgraded, I'm sure I could swap with someone...but I'm not sure I would be able to swap back to the same seat that I had originally.

Yes, you understood my intent perfectly--I do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, I would prefer to keep the seat that I selected during booking (in economy class--over a first class seat, business class, or even in a different economy section).

AlanInDC Sep 4, 2018 7:15 pm

I'm a MM so at least Gold each year (but never reach 1K). The only time I get a CPU is on short routes at really unfavorable times, like Sunday early morning DCA-ORD. If you're at silver level, this is not a real problem.

rmadisonwi Sep 4, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm trying to figure out what economy seat is so special that someone insists on *it* over any seat in F.

DWAGENT Sep 4, 2018 7:21 pm

You're right, and I understand I'm definitely in the minority...but I was hoping there was some manual opt-out, or some secret way to beat the system.

So let me ask another question that I probably already know the answer to: can you opt-out of your upgraded status entirely? In other words, if I travel enough to qualify for a premier level, but I don't want it...can I refuse it or retroactively downgrade my status? Or am I automatically bumped up to a new level, and that's that?

fumje Sep 4, 2018 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30168086)
You're right, and I understand I'm definitely in the minority...but I was hoping there was some manual opt-out, or some secret way to beat the system.

So let me ask another question that I probably already know the answer to: can you opt-out of your upgraded status entirely? In other words, if I travel enough to qualify for a premier level, but I don't want it...can I refuse it or retroactively downgrade my status? Or am I automatically bumped up to a new level, and that's that?

Also no, but I imagine one (perhaps long) phone call could see your status removed, in which case you'd not need to make any more calls.

That said, why not just not use a mileageplus account, if you are commited to not having status? Will you forgo that many award miles?

jsloan Sep 4, 2018 7:29 pm

Sure, MileagePlus is an optional program. Don’t join, or stop providing your frequent flyer number during the reservation process, and you’re extremely unlikely to get upgraded. :) And, if you’d prefer to have only the mileage earning and nothing else, you can ask for retroactive credit after the flight.

FYI: Seat assignments are never guaranteed. There’s an entire thread on the board about seat changes occurring for no obvious reason. You’re going to need to monitor your reservations no matter what you do.

Scifience Sep 4, 2018 7:33 pm

I'm struggling to think of a scenario where the best Y seat would be preferable to an F seat. That said, on the off chance that you would clear a CPU on any given route, I'm quite certain that whoever else stole your original much-coveted seat (presumably in E-, since you're also interested in giving up status entirely) would be happy to swap with you. The GA may well suspect insanity, but would probably help facilitate this if you asked nicely.

DWAGENT Sep 4, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone. I think the consensus is that it's not possible. Thanks to all for the sanity check / confirmation that I hadn't missed anything on the app / site.

As for making a reservation without an MP number...that's an interesting alternative, I hadn't considered that, thanks. I do like most of the benefits, like the bonus points, and the free checked bag, and priority boarding, etc...I just didn't want the "automatic" upgrade / seat change benefit.

As for what seat in economy is so special...it's not any particular seat or any general reason, it's related to a personal health issue...so don't worry, no one is missing out on any secret fun in the back of the cattle car...

Kacee Sep 4, 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30168112)
Sure, MileagePlus is an optional program. Don’t join, or stop providing your frequent flyer number during the reservation process, and you’re extremely unlikely to get upgraded. :) And, if you’d prefer to have only the mileage earning and nothing else, you can ask for retroactive credit after the flight.

Sounds like the solution to me.

Originally Posted by Scifience (Post 30168121)
I'm struggling to think of a scenario where the best Y seat would be preferable to an F seat.

On an airbus, 7A, C, D, or F, with open middle, was IMO preferable to 1E/F. That's no longer true since they slimined Y in these aircraft.

emcampbe Sep 4, 2018 7:41 pm

definitely sounds like a request for a really low minority, but really, who am I to judge?

if you don’t want any of your premier benefits, probably the best way is simply to leave your MP # off your booking entirely. If you do indeed want the miles to redeem for whatever later, you can always leave your MP # off, and then request retro credit for your flight afterwards. While this would also have to be done manually for each itin, you can at least do this online so t doesn’t require a phone call.

But there is is a lot of conveniences you could lose. For example, by not using your account, you’d have to manually enter your personal info. each time you book a trip (though come to think of it - you might be able to book through your account with saved info and be able to not select a mileage program at that part - presumably this can be done - I’ve just never tried). You’ll also probably lose some other perks you really do want, like higher priority for rebooking/standby in IRROPS, etc.

jsloan Sep 4, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30168135)
As for making a reservation without an MP number...that's an interesting alternative, I hadn't considered that, thanks. I do like most of the benefits, like the bonus points, and the free checked bag, and priority boarding, etc...I just didn't want the "automatic" upgrade / seat change benefit.

Consider crediting to another *A program instead, then. If you travel enough to get to *G, you’d get many of these benefits, plus United Club access for all departures. *G are not eligible for complimentary upgrades, so your chance of getting upgraded is low (it’d only happen if economy were oversold and all eligible UA passengers had already been upgraded).

Collierkr Sep 4, 2018 8:31 pm

ok this is even more bizarre than your first question. Why? You lose a number of useful benefits including better IRROPS handling.

lamphs Sep 4, 2018 8:47 pm

Avoiding CPUs has been on my mind for awhile. If I am traveling on my own, a CPU is great (as well as all of the other benefits). But I travel with a group of work folks on routes that I have a decent chance of a CPU. The other folks rarely travel by plane - not even personally. I am dreading the day that I receive a CPU while everyone else is in the back. They can make some trouble for me workwise - maybe not intentionally; but it would certainly raise questions and I'd have to provide explanations to those who have no familiarity with FF programs. (My status is more so from personal travel.)

My solution is to monitor the upgrade list and if I think I have a chance of a CPU, I'll speak with the GA.

fumje Sep 4, 2018 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168356)
Avoiding CPUs has been on my mind for awhile. If I am traveling on my own, a CPU is great (as well as all of the other benefits). But I travel with a group of work folks on routes that I have a decent chance of a CPU. The other folks rarely travel by plane - not even personally. I am dreading the day that I receive a CPU while everyone else is in the back. They can make some trouble for me workwise - maybe not intentionally; but it would certainly raise questions and I'd have to provide explanations to those who have no familiarity with FF programs. (My status is more so from personal travel.)

My solution is to monitor the upgrade list and if I think I have a chance of a CPU, I'll speak with the GA.

That one is a lot easier. If you all CPU together before check-in—great. If you don't, then when you check in, decline the upgrade waitlist.

lamphs Sep 4, 2018 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 30168365)
That one is a lot easier. If you all CPU together before check-in—great. If you don't, then when you check in, decline the upgrade waitlist.

Thanks. I was not aware that I could actually decline at check-in (probably just missed it). I'll be checking in later in the week and I'll pay more attention.

(And this is great - I got to post to a 'trending' FT thread!)

fumje Sep 4, 2018 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168386)
Thanks. I was not aware that I could actually decline at check-in (probably just missed it). I'll be checking in later in the week and I'll pay more attention.

(And this is great - I got to post to a 'trending' FT thread!)

Note that if more than one other person on the PNR is not a Premier member, you aren't eligible (for automatic upgrade) at all. The companion policy is partway down the page here:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

jsloan Sep 4, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168386)

The is only applicable if you're traveling on a single reservation with your co-workers. If you each have separate reservations, you won't have the option to decline the CPU (except by calling as the OP mentioned).

Kannai Sep 4, 2018 10:08 pm

Alternatively, just check in a couple hours before your flight instead of 24ish hours in advance. You'll fall lower on the upgrade list. Look at the number on the list and the number of available seats. Only when there's a real chance of being upgraded at the gate—or if you get an email a day (if you're silver) or more (if you're higher) in advance that you got upgraded, or, you look at the the F cabin a couple days before the flight and it's still wide open and you might get upgraded more than 24 hrs in advance, would you need to call.

dblumenhoff Sep 4, 2018 10:57 pm

Purchase a hidden-city ticket, and when you exit your itinerary early, jump and wave your hands to the GA and tell them that you're leaving the airport. They'll strip you of your status without a problem.

COSPILOT Sep 5, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 30168356)

I was traveling to a company meeting, and as luck would have it, a colleague was on my same flight. I as a 1K scored the upgrade, she had zero status and sat in the back. Somehow she fit that into her presentation and resented me ever since. Privately she thought I should have given her my seat. I honestly didn't know what to say to her, but I was annoyed that she started her presentation with singling me out about the trip.

Phil Level Sep 5, 2018 9:17 am

Originally Posted by prometa (Post 30167868)
Just to be clear, UA will not remove your existing seat assignment just because you are on the waitlist—they will only change your seating assignment if you are upgraded. You are saying you do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, and would prefer your economy seat over first?

There’s several reasons I can think of why someone might not want to be upgraded. Just wanted to confirm that’s what you meant.

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30168061)
I don't know the odds, and I assume it's low, but you know that old saying..."when you least expect it..."

And you're right--if I DID happen to get upgraded, I'm sure I could swap with someone...but I'm not sure I would be able to swap back to the same seat that I had originally.

Yes, you understood my intent perfectly--I do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, I would prefer to keep the seat that I selected during booking (in economy class--over a first class seat, business class, or even in a different economy section).

Sadly there are countless reports here on FT of UA changing seat assignments, and if/when you fly UA enough times, it will eventually happen to you. Happened to me last month on LAX-HNL flight, but I got lucky and caught the seat change in time to set things back to how I wanted them (there were 6 of us flying that day).

sabbasolo Sep 5, 2018 10:16 am

I remember once about 40 years ago being upgraded on an international flight and them meeting the company CEO who was sitting in the back. I just mumbled something about miles and upgrades....

Nihon_Ni Sep 5, 2018 11:20 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 30170028)
I was traveling to a company meeting, and as luck would have it, a colleague was on my same flight. I as a 1K scored the upgrade, she had zero status and sat in the back. Somehow she fit that into her presentation and resented me ever since. Privately she thought I should have given her my seat. I honestly didn't know what to say to her, but I was annoyed that she started her presentation with singling me out about the trip.

I travel with coworkers on occasion, but I travel solo three times as often. Sometimes I'll get a well humored jab when I stand in BG1 and they're somewhere lower. I cheerfully reply that I'd be more than happy to trade my status if I could have all the days of their life that I've spent trapped inside of an airliner. Commercial air travel is a grind, I have no issues with accepting a few perks from the airlines for enduring the grind more often than my coworkers.

COSPILOT Sep 5, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni (Post 30170532)
I travel with coworkers on occasion, but I travel solo three times as often. Sometimes I'll get a well humored jab when I stand in BG1 and they're somewhere lower. I cheerfully reply that I'd be more than happy to trade my status if I could have all the days of their life that I've spent trapped inside of an airliner. Commercial air travel is a grind, I have no issues with accepting a few perks from the airlines for enduring the grind more often than my coworkers.

Her words: "My husband is a 1K and always gives me his seat when we travel together". My response was that I do the same for my wife, but you aren't her, I simply work with you. Nevertheless, she made my life a living hell as she had favoritism with our boss and I finally gave in and left the company.

kale73 Sep 5, 2018 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Scifience (Post 30168121)
I'm struggling to think of a scenario where the best Y seat would be preferable to an F seat.

Exit row Y might be preferable to someone who has allergies or phobias regarding being seated next to animals (incl. pets, ESA and service critters), children, people who cannot speak English, or those with disabilities.

Then there are those survivalist types who figure the best odds of surviving an air crash are in the back (Ever hear of a plane backing into a mountain?)

pseudoswede Sep 5, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni (Post 30170532)
Sometimes I'll get a well humored jab when I stand in BG1 and they're somewhere lower.

Unless travelling with a gaggle of co-workers (like 3 or more), you can always invite them to stand and board with you in BG1. It's often won me brownie points.

StuckinITH Sep 5, 2018 12:18 pm

This year, there were some of my co-workers on a domestic flight where I got upgraded. I gave them some of my drink coupons since there's no way that I'm using the 15 we got this year (10 for me + 5 for my wife). Made them happy.

Later this year, I have an international trip where I'm already upgraded. I'm flying a few days before and returning a few days later than my colleagues. So, there will be no embarrassing moment at the gate.

Artpen100 Sep 5, 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 30170560)
Her words: "My husband is a 1K and always gives me his seat when we travel together". My response was that I do the same for my wife, but you aren't her, I simply work with you. Nevertheless, she made my life a living hell as she had favoritism with our boss and I finally gave in and left the company.

In a similar situation, I said something along the lines of "What were you doing sitting back there? Let me know and I can drop by sometime and show you how upgrades work." Thing is, I happened to know that that person, who just has an assistant book travel and pays no attention to FF programs, seating or any of that, was sitting in the last row in a $1000 ticket purchased at the last minute, whereas I had paid $400 booking earlier.

Collierkr Sep 5, 2018 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kannai (Post 30168575)
Alternatively, just check in a couple hours before your flight instead of 24ish hours in advance. You'll fall lower on the upgrade list. Look at the number on the list and the number of available seats. Only when there's a real chance of being upgraded at the gate—or if you get an email a day (if you're silver) or more (if you're higher) in advance that you got upgraded, or, you look at the the F cabin a couple days before the flight and it's still wide open and you might get upgraded more than 24 hrs in advance, would you need to call.

not rcommended on popular route with full flights as you risk not getting a seat assignment or getting bumped if overbooked.

purduephotog Sep 5, 2018 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by DWAGENT (Post 30167748)
Hi fellow flyers--

I have what may seem like an unusual question, but hoping someone can help me anyway. I have managed to achieve premier status with Mileage Plus, and I enjoy most of the benefits, but there is one benefit which I do NOT want to use, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it. When I book I flight, I like to choose my own seat specifically...but with premier status, it seems like I am always automatically placed on the upgrade waiting list. I don't want that--I want the seat that I picked.

I've never actively asked for an upgrade or to be placed on an upgrade waiting list--it (the app) just tells me that I'm eligible and/so I'm automatically on the wait list. What I have done about this so far is to contact the Reservations desk and ask that I be taken OFF the upgrade wait list...and then they flip an "upgrade inhibitor" flag on my reservation.. But they said this is per reservation only, and cannot be done "permanently".

They told me that if I don't want to be placed on the upgrade waiting list, don't request it on the app during the check-in process...but I have combed the screens of the app (and the website), and there is no opt-in or -out section of the check-in process.

Is there anyone with more experience with this that can tell me what to do about this? Either tell me where in the app / site that I can opt-out, or who can I call or talk to to opt-out without calling reservations every single time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I got upgraded once, was traveling with my 8 year old daughter. Now if I was near the front of the plane I'd stick her in first- she's done it before and been awesome.

But this would have put me too far back, and I couldn't get anyone to swap. So I just declined the seat.

Now I did this at the desk so they didn't automatically flop me someplace else. Taken care of at the airport was easy.

Coskigirl Sep 6, 2018 7:09 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 30170028)

Good lord, people need to get over themselves. I travel with my boss on occasion and for awhile he was GS so he was often upgraded. In my view, he travels enough that he deserves any break he can get to make his life easier. A couple of times he's had extra RPU/GPUs and attempted to upgrade me (a lowly Gold). It worked once and I was very grateful. Frankly, if he attempted to give me his upgrade on a flight we were on together I would decline unless there was some special circumstance. I don't blame you for being annoyed at her actions.

Nihon_Ni Sep 6, 2018 7:58 am

Yikes. That sounds like a symptom of a toxic work environment. Where I work she would have been shown the door for childish actions like that. Or more probably, we would have weeded her out in the hiring process. Hope you're happier with your new gig.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 30170560)