Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What benefits do you wish MP offered

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I would like to see Gold or Plats and above have the ability to create multi-city award bookings without incurring incremental charges (basically the way it used to be).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leonidas
None of this will happen until DL starts doing it first.
Delta already does rollover MQM (their version of PQM) but United doesn't seem interested in doing it too
Old May 17, 2022, 3:50 am
Original Poster

If I could add benefits to UA MP program

I’d add a southwest companion type pass at the GS level.

id add family miles pooling and family status sharing for 1k.

id add discounted Children’s tickets (50% off for 2-7, 25% off for 8-13) in whatever class of service you are buying a ticket.

id add lounge access for immediate family for GS while traveling together.

id add Polaris lounge access on premium transcons in business for GS + 1 guest
Old May 17, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I’d guess you are a GS.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by trm2
I’d guess you are a GS.
with a 9 and 3 year old
Old May 17, 2022, 6:43 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Here's one that costs UA nothing out of pocket...

Bring back seat blocking for 1Ks/GS (there was a time when UA did this--seems like it was early/mid 2000s, but that's just a guess as my brain continues to age).

Other than a little computer programming, it literally costs them nothing. I book a seat, even on a stupid CRJ, just lock up that seat next to me. Release it when needed, preferably last-minute. Can't tell you how many times I've played 'seat bingo', especially on the CRJ where there are several open seats, yet someone seems to invariably pick the seat next to me, so I hop to another empty seat pair until someone gets assigned next to me again.

I'm certainly not saying to send that seat out empty at the cost of other pax, just leave it alone until you need it!

...And since we're guessing, yeah--I'm a big guy with very broad shoulders (who has over 700 segments on the CRJ-200).
Old May 17, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jp12687

id add discounted Children’s tickets (50% off for 2-7, 25% off for 8-13) in whatever class of service you are buying a ticket.

Every one of those will cost UA money, especially the last two. Aren't there enough complaints about PL crowding during the afternoons already? It ultimately creates a motivation for passengers to pick another airline or drop UC membership... the last thing UA wants to see happen.
jpezaris and VRFast like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Seat blocking might work in a world where loads are low, but with loads as they are and have been in recent years (outside Covid) you're likely to be sitting next to someone anyway so it's really just luck of the draw on who. I like an empty seat next to me as much as anyone, especially in the days of TPAC flights in Y, but always has been merely hopeful (and often selecting seats towards the back of E+ cabin, which seem last to fill.
freeagent likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Every one of those will cost UA money, especially the last two. Aren't there enough complaints about PL crowding during the afternoons already? It ultimately creates a motivation for passengers to pick another airline or drop UC membership... the last thing UA wants to see happen.
Agreed: the Polaris lounges are already overloaded. Without higher capacity, there needs to be fewer people, not more. When they first opened, it was marvelous. The last two times I've flown Polaris via EWR, it took 10 minutes of circulating to find a seat. And, frankly, if I'm paying out-of-pocket, I want an adult experience; if I'm on OPM, I definitely want an adult experience because I'm on the clock.

One-time lounge access is usually available for a price. Perhaps the OP should factor that in to the cost of their travels? Also to consider is that kids, at least mine, often enjoy the terminal experience more than the lounge. Asking, "shall we go to the lounge?," when you can get ice cream in the terminal results in an emphatic, "No!!," from them.
nexus7556 likes this.

Last edited by jpezaris; May 17, 2022 at 10:43 am Reason: clarity
Old May 17, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Every one of those will cost UA money, especially the last two. Aren't there enough complaints about PL crowding during the afternoons already?
Not when a person is only looking out for their own best interests.
threecap likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:41 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Seat blocking might work in a world where loads are low, but with loads as they are and have been in recent years (outside Covid) you're likely to be sitting next to someone anyway so it's really just luck of the draw on who. I like an empty seat next to me as much as anyone, especially in the days of TPAC flights in Y, but always has been merely hopeful (and often selecting seats towards the back of E+ cabin, which seem last to fill.
I have more than one experience lately where there are indeed empty seats on my CRJ flights, and more than once I've had an empty seat next to me upon boarding, and in those frequent cases where there are more empties than standbys, I've still ended up with a seatmate while those near me with no apparent (I know I know) status get the empty. Those are the cases I'm talking about.

A few weeks ago, I was even proactive when the F/A cleared the standby list on a CRJ with about 10 empties. 3 pax cleared, including one next to me--I did catch it right away and politely asked if she could find me an empty seat pair (not asking specifically for the S/B to be moved from next to me)--but that's exactly what she did. ...I'm just saying all things being otherwise equal, don't make me jump through hoops to have a scrap or crumb of comfort.

I'm not saying this to humbly brag or gloat, but I pay for F. Nearly everywhere I go now, I just pay it--I'm done paying this BS upgrade game, even with useless PlusPoints, I'm done being wedged into uncomforable Y seats, whether on mainline or express, one or two cabin planes. While I pay for F, but relegated to Y on the CRJ with no other options available, sans driving 3 hours to the nearest airport with 2-class service (DTW). If anything, that too should count for something when there are empty seats. And I'm not paying for F for the delicious food or the impeccable service, I do it for the space. UA won't even let me buy a single seat on those CRJ segments alone--it has to be the entire itinerary. Paying for Y x2 for the whole journey would be a possibility, but no extra credit towards PQDs is granted on the second ticket (unless something has changed)...So, I'm pretty much stuck. UA could do a few little things to improve some of those experiences.
SPN Lifer and coolbeans202 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd charge a 1000% premium on tickets for children.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

Well, yeah. I mean who wouldn't give themselves all kinds of free stuff if they had the power to do so? This thread is worthless & I hope the mods delete it (or at least lock it).
Old May 17, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I’d add a southwest companion type pass at the GS level. - Goodness no - please no

id add family miles pooling and family status sharing for 1k. - That is what Million miler status is for

id add discounted Children’s tickets (50% off for 2-7, 25% off for 8-13) in whatever class of service you are buying a ticket. - yeah - whatever

id add lounge access for immediate family for GS while traveling together. - Um, no - same as the first - lounges are already crowded

id add Polaris lounge access on premium transcons in business for GS + 1 guestGS - Yes - Guest - NO
Old May 17, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Ability to actually clear Plus Points at time of booking.

I have 500 and frankly United makes it impossible to redeem them at booking, even when J is more than half empty!

Also, Million Milers should get upgrade priority over non-MM within the same elite level.

1K + 2MM should get access to GS upgrade inventory buckets.
Xyzzy and jumpingenes like this.

Last edited by walkerci; May 18, 2022 at 6:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.