Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:46 pm

I sympathize with the OP's sister. It reminds me when I went to a Chevy dealership, paid $20K for a Cruze and then the stupid salesman gave me a $20K Chevy Cruze instead of the $70K Corvette I really wanted. My brother tried explaining to the "rude" salesman that even though I only paid $20K, he was sure there is a law somewhere than if I reaaaaaly want a Corvette, but only paid for a Cruze, Chevrolet still has to give me the more expensive car. I mean come on, I'm a really busy guy with kids, how the heck am I supposed to keep track of prices for different types of cars?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:55 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Holding harried parents to rigid standards of personal responsibility is really low.

The world doesn't exist to mete out punishment at everyone who doesn't meet your personal standards of contract. Raising children is 1000 times more important than anyone's right to an aisle seat on an airplane.
I'm just wondering whats left when personal responsibility goes away? What else is there? The rules are well documented and everyone is expected to play by them, no exceptions. It's common decency to respect the rules we must all live by, it's more or less the basis of all civilization. A key part of raising children is teaching them about personal responsibility, following the rules and common decency. People without personal responsibility shouldn't fly. People trying to game the system are not welcome by those of us who suffer their static and indignation. I've raised 3 wonderful daughters, I have paid my dues in full.
gene2632 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
AA doesn't seem to have this issue (which I realize could be an exception rather than the rule at UA).

Tonight my girlfriend was paged by the gate agent. The GA asked if she would be willing to give up her standard aisle seat for an aisle seat in MCE which includes complimentary cocktails and extra legroom.

She accepted.

Reason for the request: A mother wanted to sit with her two children.

It could have been a last minute booking when 3 seats together were not even a posibility for all I know. The judgment on this forum regarding parents not reserving seats with their children is deafening.
Obviously, this is not the same story. Your girlfriend got a good deal out of it. If the OP would have given his First Class seat to the gentleman who had to give up his aisle seat for a middle seat, everybody here would have congratulated the OP for being so nice to his sister in law and the kids.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by greg99
The entire point of BE-type fares is to create an incentive structure to encourage you to buy more expensive fares or add-ons. Precisely the opposite of what you're suggesting.

What you're proposing creates a moral hazard. Parents want the cheap seats, but also want to be protected from the diminished amenities that come with those cheap seats. That doesn't make any sense to me, either from an economic perspective for UA, or from a fairness perspective to other passengers.

The parents have an alternative, which is to pay more for seats that allow you to book specific seats in advance. UA warns passengers booking these fares that they're going to be stuck with whatever seats they're assigned - if they're not comfortable with that risk, for whatever reason, pay more for the ticket. Personally, I agree with the suggestion that united.com should explicitly block parents with children under 14 from booking these fares.

This isn't like preboarding - what people are suggesting is that families with children should fly at a lower effective price than other passengers. I'm fully in support of the former, but the latter is just fundamentally wrong.
They already do.

Early boarding is sold as an add on. Yet parents of small children can get it free.

This is not really any different. It isn't gaming the system because you can't fake having a child.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
They already do.

Early boarding is sold as an add on. Yet parents of small children can get it free.

This is not really any different. It isn't gaming the system because you can't fake having a child.
I've always been a proponent of early boarding for parents with very young kids. You can’t buy that type of early boarding (well, I guess you can for the $50K/yr or whatever it costs for GS) but I am firmly of the belief that it improves the boarding process for every passenger. I would object to giving families free group 2 because that efficiency argument isn’t there.

That efficiency argument doesn’t exist for free advanced seating for BE passengers with kids, either. That’s purely an economic benefit for that family, nothing more. To be clear, as I said before, I *do* believe that UA has an obligation to seat BE passengers with children together in the event of IRROPS. In those circumstances, families don’t have the opportunity to protect themselves by paying for seats.

I’m not suggesting that everybody in this situation is necessarily “gaming” the system, but suggesting that they shouldn’t have to pay *is* creating a moral hazard, because it means they’re not paying the consequences for losing the “bet” that they are taking with respect to sitting together by buying a BE fare.

If this is actually a widespread problem (I don’t know that it is), then UA should prohibit families from booking these fares.

MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:24 pm Reason: removed deleted quote and response
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:14 am

The issue I have with the OP's presentation of the story isn't so much kids being split from their parents, it's the entitlement angle. She's such a BUSY MOM, how dare you impugn her righteousness??!??!?! It's an intellectually lazy argument which by default makes anyone who challenges the argument a kid hater or anti-family or what have you.

I have kids, I've gone through this before, kids in Row 23 me and my wife in Row 12. It sucks, but it's life, you just deal with it when boarding and 99.9% of the time, you get it worked out with other passengers. Most adults don't want to sit next to someone else's kids and they're more than happy to switch. But, I've never once demanded that a GA move people around on my behalf. I wouldn't even think of doing such a thing.

And yeah I'm busy as hell as is my wife. Everyone's busy. But nobody is busy enough to not have 10 seconds to read fare rules when booking online. This is all part of the victim society we've created, where nothing is ever anyone's fault anymore. And it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.
greg99, wrp96, Often1 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
The issue I have with the OP's presentation of the story isn't so much kids being split from their parents, it's the entitlement angle. She's such a BUSY MOM, how dare you impugn her righteousness??!??!?! It's an intellectually lazy argument which by default makes anyone who challenges the argument a kid hater or anti-family or what have you.

I have kids, I've gone through this before, kids in Row 23 me and my wife in Row 12. It sucks, but it's life, you just deal with it when boarding and 99.9% of the time, you get it worked out with other passengers. Most adults don't want to sit next to someone else's kids and they're more than happy to switch. But, I've never once demanded that a GA move people around on my behalf. I wouldn't even think of doing such a thing.

And yeah I'm busy as hell as is my wife. Everyone's busy. But nobody is busy enough to not have 10 seconds to read fare rules when booking online. This is all part of the victim society we've created, where nothing is ever anyone's fault anymore. And it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.
👏👏👏👏👏

You are absolutely right. Read the rules and if the product doesn't suit you, don't buy it.

Just one thing though - in the situation you described above, why not one adult and one child in row 12 and one adult and one child in row 23, rather than "working it out with other passengers"?
greg99, BadgerBoi, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by greg99
The entire point of BE-type fares is to create an incentive structure to encourage you to buy more expensive fares or add-ons. Precisely the opposite of what you're suggesting.

What you're proposing creates a moral hazard. Parents want the cheap seats, but also want to be protected from the diminished amenities that come with those cheap seats. That doesn't make any sense to me, either from an economic perspective for UA, or from a fairness perspective to other passengers.

The parents have an alternative, which is to pay more for seats that allow you to book specific seats in advance. UA warns passengers booking these fares that they're going to be stuck with whatever seats they're assigned - if they're not comfortable with that risk, for whatever reason, pay more for the ticket. Personally, I agree with the suggestion that united.com should explicitly block parents with children under 14 from booking these fares.

This isn't like preboarding - what people are suggesting is that families with children should fly at a lower effective price than other passengers. I'm fully in support of the former, but the latter is just fundamentally wrong.
I suppose we have a disagreement. I am not suggesting that a parent with a child gets to 'choose' seats for free, only that United assigns them some seats together. I don't think that being seated with your child is a 'perk' nor is it an amenity nor does it create a moral hazard. More so, I see it as a liability for the airline should something happen to that child in flight, I see it as an inconsideration of other passengers (who now have to essentially babysit), and furthermore I see it as totally avoidable. What is so hard about United just assigning seats at ticketing for a parent and minor children in the back of the plane? Who does that inconvenience? United can and should still charge them if they want to change seats. If two parents with two minor children buys BE fares, I am saying that United can simply ensure that each child is seated with at least 1 parent at ticketing (whether that is finding 2 sets of 2 seats together, a set of 3 seats and a single seat elsewhere, or 4 adjacent seats, its whatever United wants to do). That is still in every practical way a situation in which a BE ticket is still a BE ticket! (can't choose seats, can't bring on baggage without paying fees, can't accumulate miles etc etc). Blocking parents with children from buying a BE fare is taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

American Airlines for whatever reason figured this out with their BE and whenever a minor child is ticketed in BE they simply assign low-value back of the cabin seats at ticketing to ensure that any minors are seated with a parent. If anything, this can actually create a lower value than travelling alone with a BE ticket (where if you wait to check in until the last minute, there is a decent chance they will put you in main economy extra because those are where the only unassigned seats are!). United (and all us) have an example where this problem is solved, which is why I am somewhat amazed at how this thread is so long and heated. I don't think anyone paying regular discounted economy fares in AA suffers one iota from their system, nor do I think this give any incentive to parents with children to buy BE fares over the rest of the travelling public.

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
The issue I have with the OP's presentation of the story isn't so much kids being split from their parents, it's the entitlement angle. She's such a BUSY MOM, how dare you impugn her righteousness??!??!?! It's an intellectually lazy argument which by default makes anyone who challenges the argument a kid hater or anti-family or what have you........And yeah I'm busy as hell as is my wife. Everyone's busy. But nobody is busy enough to not have 10 seconds to read fare rules when booking online. This is all part of the victim society we've created, where nothing is ever anyone's fault anymore. And it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Reading the fare rules, it isn't explicit about minor children. They state that 'families' won't necessarily be able to sit together, which makes sense for any group of grown adults (couples, grandparents, sisters, etc). Sure, one could take this interpretation to the fullest extent, but this is an interpretation that in my opinion defies common sense, an interpretation that is factually at odds with how other airlines treat minor children, and an interpretation that goes against a law that Congress passed (which sure wasn't developed into actual hard rules, but the language was still passed with bipartisan sponsors). So, what we have here is a case of imperfect information.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx

The busy mom angle to me is simply the recognition that this is a person who lacked perfect knowledge. In many parts of society, there are situations in which there is a large disparity in outcomes between people who have disparities in knowledge. Oddly enough, the finer details of air travel is one of those areas (in no small part due to a lot of fine print and complicated rules that airlines purposefully develop to squeeze extra profit margins levied on those with imperfect knowledge through fees). I do extensive work in the university setting to correct knowledge-disparities that have produced large disparities in who continues to graduate education (in STEM, where is matters), and frankly, I get sick and tired of people with more perfect knowledge blaming others with imperfect knowledge for their outcomes. It isn't helpful and smacks of privilege. FT should work more at correcting knowledge, not blaming people for a lack of knowlege. And what is that knowledge? That knowledge is that United indeed has this terrible policy on minor children that is in violation of the spirit of a 2016 law passed by Congress but not made into rules. A policy that is less customer friendly than their competitors.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I suppose we have a disagreement.
I suppose we do.
I am not suggesting that a parent with a child gets to 'choose' seats for free, only that United assigns them some seats together.
It's not about "choice." The rules of the BE fares say "NO PRERESERVED SEATS" - you're asking for seats to be prereserved for families. It's fair that we have the discussion about whether BE fares are a good thing or a bad thing (personally I think they suck, and Kirby's leading a race to the bottom), but they're a thing, and this is how UA is choosing to implement the concept. People are asking for an exception to the explicitly stated (and even vividly colored) rules based solely on the fact that they're traveling with a child.
I don't think that being seated with your child is a 'perk' nor is it an amenity nor does it create a moral hazard.
It is and does when the rules of the fare say that you're not entitled to prereserved seats and the only way to do that under the fare rules is with an exception for which other travelers are not eligible.
More so, I see it as a liability for the airline should something happen to that child in flight, I see it as an inconsideration of other passengers (who now have to essentially babysit), and furthermore I see it as totally avoidable.
The potential liability and inconvenience are caused not by UA, but by the passengers' unwillingness to pay a higher fare pursuant to which they could reserve seats together.
What is so hard about United just assigning seats at ticketing for a parent and minor children in the back of the plane?
It's not hard at all - it's easily done by the passenger paying the fare that includes the ability to do so.
Who does that inconvenience?
Everyone. It inconveniences passengers traveling on higher priced fares who should have been able to choose the seats that the family is preassigned to. It unfairly penalizes BE passengers traveling in a group without children who wouldn't be eligible to do book a couple of seats together.
United can and should still charge them if they want to change seats. If two parents with two minor children buys BE fares, I am saying that United can simply ensure that each child is seated with at least 1 parent at ticketing (whether that is finding 2 sets of 2 seats together, a set of 3 seats and a single seat elsewhere, or 4 adjacent seats, its whatever United wants to do). That is still in every practical way a situation in which a BE ticket is still a BE ticket! (can't choose seats, can't bring on baggage without paying fees, can't accumulate miles etc etc).
See above about what the fare rules actually say. They say that BE passengers can't "prereserve" seats, not just that they can't "choose" their seat. As my kindergarten teacher used to tell me (I still remember, cough, 40+ years ago...): "You get what you get."

Blocking parents with children from buying a BE fare is taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
Maybe - like I said, I don't know how big a problem this is. It depends upon how many parents are choosing to make a fuss over not getting to prereserve seats when the booking engine basically screams "YOU CAN'T PRERESERVE SEATS!!!" If it's a small number of parents ignoring the fare rules when they book and hoping for the best, then maybe UA doesn't need to make a systematic change.

United (and all us) have an example where this problem is solved, which is why I am somewhat amazed at how this thread is so long and heated. I don't think anyone paying regular discounted economy fares in AA suffers one iota from their system, nor do I think this give any incentive to parents with children to buy BE fares over the rest of the travelling public.
It's not actually "solved," it's just that AA has chosen to ignore the issues. That may be the most commercially viable choice, UA is choosing differently at least for now. The fact that this thread *is* so long and heated, and the circumstances causing OP to start the thread in the first place, is evidence that there is an incentive to choose the BE fares.

You'll note that the mom in OP's post wasn't complaining that she couldn't "buy-up" her fare to one where she could have seats together, she was complaining that she didn't get seats together for free...
IndyHoosier and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:09 am

After much thought, I have to say, that while I don't like the way the airlines are running their business today, the ultimately responsibility for this mess is with the parent. As a parent, we always made sure that we could fly together when the kids were very small. If a flight was so full we could not get seats together, we booked another flight. Yes, at times that was inconvenient and somewhat more expensive. When the children were big enough to sit alone, we still made certain they were near enough to us that we could monitor their well-being and behavior on the aircraft. It's what parents do.
greg99, Miles Ahead, wrp96 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by MrTemporal; Sep 1, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA is very clear on the product they sell. Parents are well aware that they have the option of getting a seating assignment together, but because they want to save money (and/or a a sense of entitlement), they figure that they can get it both ways, pay a lower price and have a high likelihood of still getting the seats they want. If they ask, a GA will likely try to seat them together anyways (giving GA's more work during boarding). If that fails, ask people to switch seats on the plane (slowing down boarding). Probably, 90% of the time, they get what they want. The other 10% of the time, they can write in and complain and will probably still get a voucher or some miles.
IMHO, its the same as parents who do not buy a seat for their infant and let them sit on their lap. By letting an infant since on the parent’s lap, the parent basically forfeit the child’s life and put the lives of the people around them in danger if there is a serious accident. But they know there is a high likelihood that there will be no incident and they will get to their destination safely. Thus they opt for the cheaper option.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Raising children is 1000 times more important than anyone's right to an aisle seat on an airplane.
Parents can raise their children anyway they see fit. However, don't involve me and don't ask me for help in doing it. I'm not interested.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that anyone who ends up seated next to Ebenezer Dorset's 10-year-old son on a TCON might have a different take on the efficacy of the airline seating children with parents.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The entire premise of this endless thread is evident in the title, e.g., that UA split up a family.

UA did no such thing. The parent split up her family.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The entire premise of this endless thread is evident in the title, e.g., that UA split up a family.

UA did no such thing. The parent split up her family.
Bingo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.