Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing reservation before travel, repricing? Is "married segments" a factor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
​​​​​​Some time ago I made a reservation with routing TLV-SFO-SEA-SFO-TLV (with travel agent help). Now I need to change that to a simple TLV-SFO-TLV trip, with the last segment being on the same SFO-TLV flight as on the original reservation. The agent says that United doesn't allow simply removing the SFO-SEA-SFO segments, because of a "married segments" thing, and my only option is to book a new return segment. That would not be a problem, but the new segment is now only available in a higher booking class.

Does that sound right? Any advice?

Thanks,
d
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Married segments may be why it is pricing into the higher booking class. Or it may just be that the cheaper inventory is gone.

But making this change would definitely require repricing the trip at the current, prevailing fare for the TLV-SFO-TLV routing.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You can’t just remove a segment and expect everything else to be the same.

changing a ticket before departure requires the entire trip to be re-priced, in this case from TLV-SEA to TLV-SFO, and also you need to be within the rules of the new fare (advance purchase, etc.) at time of change. As mentioned above, married segments may be the cause if needing to upgrade into a higher fare class, but could be any number of other reasons.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As mentioned, this change just reprices the entire itinerary using fares in effect today (almost certainly). Married segments have nothing to do with it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just book a separate RT SFO to SEA.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Just book a separate RT SFO to SEA.
OP currently has tickets to SEA but doesn't want to go there. The separate RT would need to be SEA-SFO and would result in TLV-SFO-SEA-SFO and vv.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP currently has tickets to SEA but doesn't want to go there. The separate RT would need to be SEA-SFO and would result in TLV-SFO-SEA-SFO and vv.
Yes. My bad on the route. But far cheaper this way.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes. My bad on the route. But far cheaper this way.
Indubitably, but probably far less convenient. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.