Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which SFO - LHR plane would you take?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband left on this route yesterday (773 - 10 across in Y)
And is coming back on the 5th (772 - 9 across)
No status as he usually gets 25 and occasionally 50% mileage, so never makes the threshold. Clients are all very cost conscious (state or national institutions, mostly)

Was keeping a close eye on his seats - he is wide shouldered and finds he can sleep at a window seat. He also values seat width over leg room.
Realised that yesterday’s 77W ended up with about 14 empty seats, but these were ONLY in the main economy cabin. None in the E+ Section and none in Polaris.
He was in 41A with a spare seat between him and the next chap. For him that’s luxury.

Am hoping the spare seat next to him on the return stays empty, but since it’s the 9 across configuration, I don’t need to cross my fingers quite so tightly.

Point is, that unless longer leg room is important to you, E+ might not be the best section to be in.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm getting $2528/RT on AC in J for 9/7-9/15 on Kayak - is that an option?

Edited to add: the YYC and YVR return flights are also showing the same price.
AC business connecting in YVR would be great, but that must have either been a fare error or very brief availability. Checking just now (9am PST) on Kayak and AC's site AC J is back up over $10,000 along with the rest of Star Alliance. But I'll keep my eye on that to see if it pops up again.

thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by bpratt
AC business connecting in YVR would be great, but that must have either been a fare error or very brief availability. Checking just now (9am PST) on Kayak and AC's site AC J is back up over $10,000 along with the rest of Star Alliance. But I'll keep my eye on that to see if it pops up again.

thanks!
Just got a fare alert on these - AM via MEX isn't bad, but that return time is a killer and AC has gone up, but not much more than AM...($4051 vs. $4220)

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA
PTS to EWR then find a 767 to go across the pond? 767 in E+ is pretty much premium econ on most carriers.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
For anyone interested in how this ended, my trip got modified so I needed SFO-LHR then LCY-ZRH-SFO. Since I’m only a week out Y got expensive enough for the exact flights / times I needed that I could persuade my boss to pay the delta to J. So it’s united on a 77W to LHR and then returning on the United nonstop ZRH-SFO 787-8. No connections, which is nice. As long as the 77W doesn’t go mechanical and get replaced by a 777-200 I should be good.

somewhat amusingly, the later SFO LHR flight on the 777-200 was $3000 more for J at the time I bought my ticket yesterday. I do prefer the timing on the later flight, but not enough to pay a lot more to sit in a much worse 8-across J seat.

thanks again for all the suggestions
bob
thejaredhuang likes this.

Last edited by bpratt; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reason: Added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.