Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR to EWR- Is a 757 an appropriate aircraft for this route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Hi all

I have recently booked my first United flight since 2012 from LHR- EWR in economy next month. When I went to book my seat, I was dismayed to find that it was a 757-500 with the 3-3 one aisle layout. I didn’t realise that these planes were used on any airline to fly long haul.

I keep reading reviews that all the aisle seats have the entertainment boxes underneath them and I was curious to find if this is true? I am now dreading this flight – has anyone done this particular flight in economy recently and is it as bad as I am making out in my head?

I mean, i travel low cost all the time and they have the same layout so it cant be any worse than that right?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I haven’t flown this route but also I don’t book flights - especially international- without checking the air frame and seat map first.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I feel very stupid for not checking but i didnt think that ANY airline flew internationally long haul on this set up so i was very surprised that an 8 hour flight would end up on a plane like this. I put this down to me not knowing and because i usually fly AA/BA.. i was going to avoid united after all i had read about them in the press but it was a price difference of £300.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I've done 757s in Y dozens and dozens of times, and last year did LHR-EWR in an E+ aisle and find it perfectly adequate. It was late fall and flight time was pushing 8h, which is approaching my limit for that seat in Y, but I survived.

If you are firmly against a narrowbody across the pond, there are 3-4 other frequencies each day with 767 equipment, which are by most criteria a nicer ride.

E+ on the 757 at 37" pitch and greater recline is especially generous. 8D/F are two of my favorite Y seats in the fleet.

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I feel very stupid for not checking but i didnt think that ANY airline flew internationally long haul on this set up so i was very surprised that an 8 hour flight would end up on a plane like this. I put this down to me not knowing and because i usually fly AA/BA.. i was going to avoid united after all i had read about them in the press but it was a price difference of £300.
Many do, including AA, just not LHR-NYC.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
I'd much rather take a 757 than a 787 or a 10 across 777.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no reason to feel stupid. It happens to everybody.

FYI: There are actually quite a few airlines flying single-aisle flights across the pond. Eastern Canada and the northeastern United States are well within range of the 757, 737 MAX, and A321. You'll also find BA operating the A318 from LCY via DUB to JFK, but that's a bit of a special case.

The 757-200 is one of UA's more comfortable economy seats. The single aisle does serve as a bottleneck for traffic, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

If there is space available in your fare class, though, within 24 hours of departure, you can do a Same-Day Change to another UA-operated flight for US$75. Even if you have to do this in both directions (did you check your return flight?), you'd still come out £200 ahead.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I wouldn't really call EWR-LHR long haul. It's almost the same time as a trans-con. However, I like the 757's so maybe I'm different.
Xyzzy, jasonp622 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I've also done LHR-EWR on a 757 and thought it was a very comfortable ride. Surprisingly UA still has a 752 on this route given strong J demand to/from LHR but I guess this particular instance is about fleet utilization and frequency.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
I've done LHR-EWR in E+ in a 757 after an equipment swap. It's fine.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I've done IAD-LHR and LHR-IAD on the 122/123 flights many times now, and it's a fine ride in Y. It's not J, but it's plenty doable in economy plus. I really like 8F on this plane. No one in front of you, solid legroom, and great view of engine/wing. Only downside is no under seat storage since it's just a wall.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I've flown the 757 EWR to Paris, to Berlin, numerous times. As others have said, the single aisle can cause blockage when they're serving, but as far as comfort in a Y seat, it's the same or better than any of the wide bodies....exception is 767 with only two seats on the side when traveling with a significant other. Some of the longer hauls, such as to Copenhagen, can sometimes be problematic in the wintertime when head winds can occasionally force a refueling stop in Gander on the west bound flight. Seats 7A, B, C, have unlimited leg room but are narrower with a tray table in arm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I didn’t realise that these planes were used on any airline to fly long haul.
AA and DL both fly this exact aircraft to Europe. As others have noted, it's more comfortable in Y than many of the densified widebodies that are now being used on international routes.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
AA and DL both fly this exact aircraft to Europe. As others have noted, it's more comfortable in Y than many of the densified widebodies that are now being used on international routes.
Plus it's a 752. Enjoy a dying aircraft.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by hughw
Some of the longer hauls, such as to Copenhagen, can sometimes be problematic in the wintertime when head winds can occasionally force a refueling stop in Gander on the west bound flight. Seats 7A, B, C, have unlimited leg room but are narrower with a tray table in arm
UA no longer serves CPH. The longest 757 TATL flight is EWR-ARN but it's summer seasonal. I think the longest winter 757 flight is EWR-LIS which shouldn't require a fuel stop.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've flown LHR-EWR a few times this year and it has always been a 767. Last week while booking my next trip to LHR I noticed the return flight to EWR switched to a 757 so I booked ORD instead. The last time I flew on a UA 757 the interior beyond well worn in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.