Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787-9 - is it Business First or Polaris First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-9 - is it Business First or Polaris First?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I wish that carriers would avoid cutesy names. If UA stuck to F, J, and Y, it would be a lot easier. Using terms such as "Polaris" on UA or "Club World" on BA simply makes life more difficult.

All that matters is the hard and the soft product, coupled with the fare for the class of service. I get that people think there is something special about Polaris and that they thought that somehow BusinessFirst was better than Business, but the fact is that it's the seat and the food and whatever else you care about.

It all stems from the fact that nobody wanted to make a plane sound like a train with 2nd and 3rd class !
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Technically, it's not either of those. It's "Polaris Business", but it's not the new Polaris seat (773) on the 789.

Confused? That's UA's specialty.
njxbean likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The J cabin on all UA 787s are the legacy CO product they announced a decade ago, and is marketed as Polaris or Polaris business class for longhaul flights.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Thanks all! It sounds like based on the feedback i can be confident that it will be BF on this flight and should not have an issue using a child seat or CARES system.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by njxbean
Thanks all! It sounds like based on the feedback i can be confident that it will be BF on this flight and should not have an issue using a child seat or CARES system.

Thanks!
Just to reiterate what others have said, all UA 787-8s and 787-9s are 2-2-2, forward facing in the front cabin. It is marketed as "Polaris Business," but do not have the Polaris business class seats -- they are the old-style former Continental B/E Diamond seats. The marketing brand "BusinessFirst" ("BF") has been retired and is no longer used.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
The marketing brand "BusinessFirst" ("BF") has been retired and is no longer used.
Except by the FA in one of my flights when she tried to convince a passenger that he was in the right section when he could not find on a reconfigured 772 the Polaris First seat that he had booked. She said: "This is BusinessFirst. There are no better seats than this".
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Except by the FA in one of my flights when she tried to convince a passenger that he was in the right section when he could not find on a reconfigured 772 the Polaris First seat that he had booked. She said: "This is BusinessFirst. There are no better seats than this".
I had a "proud Continental crew" last month that didn't use Polaris nomenclature at all during the flight. Everything was BusinessFirst...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I had a "proud Continental crew" last month that didn't use Polaris nomenclature at all during the flight. Everything was BusinessFirst...
Starting in October, with the single FA agreement and new scheduling system, we'll see a lot of mixed crews. "Proud Continental? Meet TED!"
goodeats21 and truncated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.