Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bottle of Wine and Note from "Oscar"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well, since I influence 7 figures of annual air spend a year, it is somewhat surprising, although they probably know in order to protect my professional reputation, very little of that spend is directed towards UA. I don't expect any wine, but my cup runneth over with cheese in the UC, so we'll call it even.

Look I get your point of view on UA vs the Asian carriers. And nothing wrong keeping UA honest. At the end of the day I will admit things are not perfect in the friendly skies. Or for that matter anyone else's. I don't sell tickets to travelers so I don't have the stress of someone calling me up when they've paid top dollar and the flight is a disaster.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
So what was the wine? Inquiring minds and all that.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
I did just book my 4th Polaris trip to Asia for the year, so maybe that helped?
I am currently sitting at about 105,000 BIS miles and 41k in spend. The next trip to Asia will put me at about 52k of spend.
- Four (or more) booked Polaris trips to Asia
- Bottle of wine

I got two out of those three things. Bet you can guess which ones.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Bottle of whine for the rest of us....oh, well.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I received....(de)nada

so, this sounds like an extra special gift for extra special GS members.
I got no wine either. I guess they figure I drink enough of their wine during flights / time @ polaris.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Just wanted to add, I was really surprised. I never got more then the coasters, lol. Didn’t get the coffee last year.
It was a nice touch. It was a smart play, my wife who usually gets the “I hate United, we are late again” texts was the one to open and said “that’s so nice.”
i apologize if it came off as bragging. It was more shock.

Heres a pic of the wine
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Not wine related , but I ate with the family at EWR in the French named restaurant a week or so back, first time.The food there seems to similar to invite restaurant which I could not get in at short notice.Anyway as I was cashing the $60 ish dollar bill,it was comped by UA in the system
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Not wine related , but I ate with the family at EWR in the French named restaurant a week or so back, first time.The food there seems to similar to invite restaurant which I could not get in at short notice.Anyway as I was cashing the $60 ish dollar bill,it was comped by UA in the system
I had the same thing my first time there.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Decent wine. I'll be checking every day for a bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade in my mailbox
qwicker and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cricketer
Decent wine. I'll be checking every day for a bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade in my mailbox
The most recent global average price we have for Kaesler Alte Reben Shiraz 2014 is $117 (June 2018). Per Wine Searcher
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2018 at 10:34 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
Just wanted to add, I was really surprised. I never got more then the coasters, lol. Didn’t get the coffee last year.
It was a nice touch. It was a smart play, my wife who usually gets the “I hate United, we are late again” texts was the one to open and said “that’s so nice.”
i apologize if it came off as bragging. It was more shock.

Didn't take it like that at all....

I think we are all surprised you got a bottle of wine as you are.....

We are just waiting for our carton of juicy juice
ajGoes and CMHBIZTraveler like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The most recent global average price we have for Kaesler Alte Reben Shiraz 2014 is $117 (June 2018). Per Wine Searcher.
I wonder if in future, such bottles will come with a Non-Disclosure Agreement?
abaheti likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2018 at 10:36 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I think it might be the marketing plan to target the gifts to the "up and coming" 1Ks trying to perhaps convert/convince them to want to earn GS status. Last year I got the coffee as a long time 1K but with a lot of first half spend. Now this year I am GS and no gift.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The most recent global average price we have for Kaesler Alte Reben Shiraz 2014 is $117 (June 2018). Per Wine Searcher
That's the first time I have ever seen a $100 bottle of wine associated in any way with United.
Phil Level and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2018 at 10:37 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I haven't received any wine or coffee from United. When I was CX Marco Polo Diamond, I used to receive a bottle of champagne at their Christmas party.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.