Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus quite full but very few CPU: who are these people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus quite full but very few CPU: who are these people?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Hawaii is far away. You are talking 5+ hours even from the west coast. In my experience, the longer the flight the higher chance people pay for E+. I flew United last year on NRT-IAD as a no-status passenger and I paid for E+. The service was absolutely abysmal (really, really, rude FAs) but I was nonetheless happy to have the extra space.

What I don't understand is the people who pay for E+ (MCE, Comfort+, etc) on 500-mile E175 flights (and yes, they exist).
I agree. The airlines have actually found a bit of a sweet spot in pricing that can appeal to a lot of people. There is currently an interesting(?) shake out between so-called "economy plus" and so-called "premium economy" and there is also cross over between buy-up to a better economy class seat and "economy plus" as a separate fare class, not to mention "premium economy" which has always been a separate fare class when offered.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
West Coast to Hawaii routes are close to 6 hours. I'd say that yes, customers are willing to pay for E+.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Hawaii is far away. You are talking 5+ hours even from the west coast. In my experience, the longer the flight the higher chance people pay for E+. I flew United last year on NRT-IAD as a no-status passenger and I paid for E+. The service was absolutely abysmal (really, really, rude FAs) but I was nonetheless happy to have the extra space.
im just a new silver, and been gold for the past few years, but actually astonished at the E+ pricing, which I’m sure has gone up sharply in the last few years. On ORD-SJC and SJC-IAH, I’m seeing pricing at 99+ I know I bought it for my dad on either EWR or IAD - CVG in the last year or two for I think $35. I’m pretty sure I’ve read of TATL for $200+. This to me seems like a lot of $ when all you get is extra legroom.

Now if UA can get those consistently, then good for them - it won’t be from me for sure. But given the constant reports in the BE thread of folks getting assigned into E+, I’d guess there is a better balance they could be doing to getting revenue from more folks for E+ rather than giving out too much for free. I think BE, the first product where seat assignments arent included and the uptake rate of it, is a quantum shift in how they need to be thinking about their cabins - so much so that it probably requires a complete re-think of who gets comp. E+, and when, and how to price the product for buyupa for maximum revenue.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
im just a new silver, and been gold for the past few years, but actually astonished at the E+ pricing, which I’m sure has gone up sharply in the last few years. On ORD-SJC and SJC-IAH, I’m seeing pricing at 99+ I know I bought it for my dad on either EWR or IAD - CVG in the last year or two for I think $35. I’m pretty sure I’ve read of TATL for $200+. This to me seems like a lot of $ when all you get is extra legroom.

Now if UA can get those consistently, then good for them - it won’t be from me for sure. But given the constant reports in the BE thread of folks getting assigned into E+, I’d guess there is a better balance they could be doing to getting revenue from more folks for E+ rather than giving out too much for free. I think BE, the first product where seat assignments arent included and the uptake rate of it, is a quantum shift in how they need to be thinking about their cabins - so much so that it probably requires a complete re-think of who gets comp. E+, and when, and how to price the product for buyupa for maximum revenue.

Well, as one from the pmUA side, I grew up with having no E+ unless you were either elite or had purchased it. And the FAs enforced it.

Fine, monetize E+. But don't give it away. Period.

David
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Well, as one from the pmUA side, I grew up with having no E+ unless you were either elite or had purchased it. And the FAs enforced it.

Fine, monetize E+. But don't give it away. Period.
Nonsense. The only difference between the earlier policy and the current one is that UA's (and the industry's) load factors are increasing. People got free E+ pre-merger for the same reason that they get it now -- E- filled up. That just happened less frequently 15 years ago than it does today.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Nonsense. The only difference between the earlier policy and the current one is that UA's (and the industry's) load factors are increasing. People got free E+ pre-merger for the same reason that they get it now -- E- filled up.
Premiers (now Silver) and a companion were able to reserve E+ at booking for free. That is definitely a change between PMUA and post 3/3/12 MP
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Premiers (now Silver) and a companion were able to reserve E+ at booking for free. That is definitely a change between PMUA and post 3/3/12 MP
Agreed, it's a change, but those passengers still end up in E+, just later (and likely with a less appealing choice of seat).

I was responding to a post that suggested that pmUA would never put someone into E+ unless that pax had paid for it or was a Premier, but implied that current UA was doing this willy-nilly. The fact that Silvers now have to wait to check-in for E+ doesn't weigh on my statement either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.