Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus quite full but very few CPU: who are these people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

I noticed that recently on some of the Hawaiian to west coast flights, the Economy Plus seats are quite full (before check-in starts, so these seats are not taken by Premier Silver members). In contrast, the first class section is very empty. In particular, I noticed that the number of confirmed First Class seats (let's say 8/20 F seats occupied before any of the CPU windows) does not increase even the flight is well within the CPU windows (Let's say it is between T-24 and T-48). So am I right to assume that in this case the Economy Plus seats are mostly taken by people who actually pay for them?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Or CPU isn't running or isn't clearing for whatever reason.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
UA waiting for TOD takers.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Lots of reasons those in E+ might not be CPU eligible. Gone over many times in various threads. For example, those on awards (no eligible UA CC). Anyone buying up in advance (including silvers, by the way - some do that). Anyone traveling with multiple pax in the PNR (more than 2), so aren’t eligible - that would be basically any family - which I suspect is probably a big reason on this kind of flight. While many on here use the E+ seat map as a guide for CPU chances - there’s just too many factors that change on flight to flight for it to be a reliable in how many people there might be potentially eligible - at least that’s my opinion.

Dont forget at merger time, UAs CEO at the time, when deciding which features to keep in the new UA, had basically as a foregone conclusion that E+ would be gone. But when looking at the numbers - he changed his mind - potentially due to elite considerations, but almost certainly because revenue from buy ups meant it made sense to keep. I’d suspect this is also a key reason on this route - families on vacation splurging for an E+ seat.

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Revenue management may not be releasing inventory for CPUs to auto clear into (waiting for buy ups or just ticket purchases), but it's also possible that non-elites have purchased or been comped into E+ for mystical reasons.

For example, last year my dad (retired, no UA status, maybe flies UA twice a year) and stepmom flew LAX-SYD and around a month prior to departure they were contacted by UA (can't remember if it was a phone call or an email) informing them that they had been "upgraded" to E+. Not sure what the parameters were for that (guessing perhaps a high Y load / low E+ load and trying to sort out seat assignments in advance?) but in any event it was good for them as my dad is 6'7" -- I'm honestly surprised they didn't buy E+ earlier or even go for J on a flight that long.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As discussed in other threads (and already mentioned here), UA has recently cut way back on CPU sweeps. So there are plenty of CPU eligible passengers, UA's just not clearing any of them in advance. They're instead hoping to sell those empty seats at a discount price.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Thank you all for the helpful inputs. Very informative for me. I was just impressed by the number of people paying for E+ seats! But I agree that award tickets and family on a same reservation are also very likely reasons.

In fact, for the flight I am on, I suspect that it is not because UA did not run the CPU sweeps --- I am only a lowly Gold member, and I got my upgrade shortly after my T-48 window. The interesting thing is, the number of booked F seats only increases by one (1)! Moreover, between the earliest CPU window T-96 and when my CPU was cleared, the number of booked F seats did not change. This means that there are no eligible GS/1K/Platinum members on the CPU standby list at all!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Thank you all for the helpful inputs. Very informative for me. I was just impressed by the number of people paying for E+ seats! But I agree that award tickets and family on a same reservation are also very likely reasons.

In fact, for the flight I am on, I suspect that it is not because UA did not run the CPU sweeps --- I am only a lowly Gold member, and I got my upgrade shortly after my T-48 window. The interesting thing is, the number of booked F seats only increases by one (1)! Moreover, between the earliest CPU window T-96 and when my CPU was cleared, the number of booked F seats did not change. This means that there are no eligible GS/1K/Platinum members on the CPU standby list at all!
Before the visible upgrade list got buried, when it was easier to estimate CPU clearance and elite loads, I would occasionally try to also guess how many people had paid for E+ by counting seats occupied and comparing to the CPU + upgrade-waitlisted count just before the flight closed. It's not a perfect way to estimate, as, for example, some people do not waitlist for CPU on multi-person records. That said, I figured it was sometimes even between 25%-33% of the E+ seating occupied by non-status passengers.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A combination of family travel (can get all in E+ but preferring not to split for CPU) and award travel (not eligible) are main factors for HI flts.
A a results you ll have either upsell takes or a cabin full of non revs...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
BG5

David
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
BG5

David
Not in this case -- OP is asking about the seating chart between T-96 and T-24. BE passengers may get E+, but not until within T-24.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not in this case -- OP is asking about the seating chart between T-96 and T-24. BE passengers may get E+, but not until within T-24.
I was reacting to this:
Thank you all for the helpful inputs. Very informative for me. I was just impressed by the number of people paying for E+ seats!
Agree WRT pre T-24. Post T-24 and through boarding, there's an awful lot of souls on my UA domestic flights who didn't buy up to E+. And their boarding passes show BG5.

David
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
I was reacting to this:

Agree WRT pre T-24. Post T-24 and through boarding, there's an awful lot of souls on my UA domestic flights who didn't buy up to E+. And their boarding passes show BG5.

David
Or BG3 or BG4! But I suppose BG5 in E+ is the most 'inequitable' if the word could be applied to such a circumstance.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was just impressed by the number of people paying for E+ seats! But I agree that award tickets and family on a same reservation are also very likely reasons.
Especially to Hawaii, this is going to be common.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Thank you all for the helpful inputs. Very informative for me. I was just impressed by the number of people paying for E+ seats!
Hawaii is far away. You are talking 5+ hours even from the west coast. In my experience, the longer the flight the higher chance people pay for E+. I flew United last year on NRT-IAD as a no-status passenger and I paid for E+. The service was absolutely abysmal (really, really, rude FAs) but I was nonetheless happy to have the extra space.

What I don't understand is the people who pay for E+ (MCE, Comfort+, etc) on 500-mile E175 flights (and yes, they exist).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.