Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight map not available - deliberate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Quick show of hands of all FTers who could take a sextant reading with their normal carry-on items and determine their location?

Yeah, okay, thought so.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That is too much trouble...I would rather use my phone GPS with offline map detail I downloaded before departure, or if I really want to go backwards to flight school basics and have more fun with this problem, I have my Iphone compass and stopwatch plus the trusty-rusty 'ol D/S/T formula which I am pretty sure was used as a cheating tool by some folks playing the old "Half Way to Hawaii" game back in the day.

If someone really needs to know where they are at a given moment, there are countless options available with minimal training - certainly nothing nefarious will be thwarted by denying us the in-flight map or even onboard wifi, just a foolish excuse.
I just use foreflight on my iPad (electronic flight bag app). Pull in the flightplan in from flightaware, download the charts, and follow along. Only thing is you have to make sure to mute the iPad, it's REALLY awkward when the iPad screams to everyone around you "APPROACHING RUNWAY 4/22" as you quickly fumble to mute it.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
On a 787, if they shut off the map, you'll have no clues where you are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.