In-flight map not available - deliberate

Old Jul 11, 18, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
In-flight map not available - deliberate

Monday July 09 2018 Flight UA005 IAH-LHR Business Class
The in-flight path-tracker map was deliberately disabled for the whole of the flight: the Captain told me that this was for 'security reasons'.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Jul 11, 18, 4:38 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Yes, you will encounter this. I have had it a few times, but not many times.
Old Jul 11, 18, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe UA has a chemtrail contract with the government and your flight had to make a detour to make a spraying run..
Old Jul 11, 18, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
I wonder if this could be related to the RAF 100 celebrations which involved a large number of current and historic RAF aircraft flying around and over London on the day of landing (10 July).
Old Jul 11, 18, 8:29 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
You can always use the inflight wifi to pull up the route on flight tracker or flightaware (that can be disabled also, but is a more involved process and not done for single flights 98% of the time).
Old Jul 11, 18, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Blutak View Post
The in-flight path-tracker map was deliberately disabled for the whole of the flight: the Captain told me that this was for 'security reasons'.
And the flight attendants are there primarily for your safety.

Rumples, choch345, NY-FLA and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by skycrab View Post
I wonder if this could be related to the RAF 100 celebrations which involved a large number of current and historic RAF aircraft flying around and over London on the day of landing (10 July).
Probably not? (speculation). The flighttracker map isn't a "radar" map.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:07 am

WAG: Disabled to hide the detours necessary to give POTUS airspace as he travels to Europe?
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Well that's the silliest thing I've heard in a while. I'm sure that this action would thwart an actual security threat ... clearly they wouldn't be able to figure out that almost every passenger on the plane has a GPS receiver on their phone that can determine the plane's location.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Would have added to the experience of watching The Hunt for Red October yesterday on FRA-SFO.

But for real how’s that going to add for safety. Did they disable the WiFi so someone on board couldn’t text where they were?
Do they just have a dart board or wheel of ideas that they come up with randomly to make the flying people feel they’re doing something extra for “security”?
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:34 am

Given that channel 9 is sometimes disabled for 'security reasons' by captains not wanting, e.g., to be second guessed about delays, colour me sceptical that the in-flight map disable has any real security implication.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Wow. Knowing where you are on the planet is now a security threat.

Count me among the disbelievers. It is frankly ridiculous.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 18 at 9:49 am Reason: OT' OMNI content deleted
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Well that's the silliest thing I've heard in a while. I'm sure that this action would thwart an actual security threat ... clearly they wouldn't be able to figure out that almost every passenger on the plane has a GPS receiver on their phone that can determine the plane's location.
Exactly!

Anyone who has a window seat can easily identify their location by turning on GPS sensor on the smartphone.

If they looked at the flight route while on the ground, a copy of the area map should stay on the smartphone which they can use after takeoff in conjuction with the GPS sensor.

There's no need for WiFi or internet connection.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:21 am

All stars in the night sky have been extinguished for "security purposes", lest someone use celestial navigation to find out where the plane is.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Some crews are just over the top with this security nonsense and obviously don't think things through - there are countless other ways to figure out where you are, and Flightaware shows the filed flightplan so you can see where you're going. I guess these crews think Flightaware should be banned too? GPS on the phones, banned? Windows, banned? Distance/speed/time formula? Let's get rid of that one!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: