Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award ticket booked Economy X Light on Swiss? Bag allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi FlyerTalk,

This is my first post. I booked an award ticket on Swiss via United MP - no status. I was put in Economy X and when I check my booking on Swiss.com, I am in Economy Light. I am traveling with two small children and this means no checked baggage for us! Fortunately my husband booked via Chase Rewards and got Economy L, so he'll check one bag for all of us. Is this the new normal? I've often booked Austrian and Lufthansa in the past and never had this problem.

Flying JFK-ZRH-VIE

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nellygd
I was put in Economy X and when I check my booking on Swiss.com, I am in Economy Light.
What does it say on your United receipt?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Economy award tickets eventually become Light fares, but I’d expect (a) an announcement and (b) a big notification of that during the booking process.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I would call Swiss directly and see what they tell you. Baggage guidance on Swiss awards (even in the Swiss documentation itself) is frequently wrong. The last business class award I booked with Swiss showed no free baggage allowance at all which was not correct.
princeville likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by nellygd
Fortunately my husband booked via Chase Rewards and got Economy L, so he'll check one bag for all of us.
Unfortunately the booking class doesn't say anything anymore these days, as you can get both Economy Light and Flex Economy in the same booking class. As the others have advised, check the receipt, or call Swiss directly.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I would call Swiss directly and see what they tell you. Baggage guidance on Swiss awards (even in the Swiss documentation itself) is frequently wrong.
If that's the case United is failing to comply with the DOT's passenger protections directive of January 2012. The passenger has a U.S. origin (or destination). It's a United ticket. DOT rules apply. UA is responsible for stating the baggage allowance on the ticket receipt.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan

What does it say on your United receipt?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Economy award tickets eventually become Light fares, but I’d expect (a) an announcement and (b) a big notification of that during the booking process.
re: "A": I totally agree.

re: "B": Why? You can book plenty of revenue tickets on United.com today with zero warning or notification that it's a "light" fare on the LH group carriers. As far as I'm concerned a notification should be required but it's not and United has continued to do this since LH group introduced those fares years ago.

-RM
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
It’s a bug on the SWISS website. Awards book into Classic fares.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This has been wrong for years. Just disregard. X-class has 1 free bag
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If that's the case United is failing to comply with the DOT's passenger protections directive of January 2012. The passenger has a U.S. origin (or destination). It's a United ticket. DOT rules apply. UA is responsible for stating the baggage allowance on the ticket receipt.
DOT rules state the first marketing carrier sets the bag allowance. And as an award flight JFK-ZRH on LX, LX is the first marketing carrier and will set the allowance. Who issued the ticket is of no consequences.

But the bag allowance reporting by LX has been an issue in the past and hopefully that is what is happening here.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
DOT rules state the first marketing carrier sets the bag allowance. And as an award flight JFK-ZRH on LX, LX is the first marketing carrier and will set the allowance. Who issued the ticket is of no consequences.
This is true, but the DOT also requires accurate disclosure of baggage allowances and fees at the point of sale. ("To meet the requirements implicit in 49 U.S.C. § 41712 with respect to internet advertisements, air carriers and foreign air carriers should place a notice regarding the above-described additional baggage charges on the first screen in which the carrier offers a fare quotation of a specific itinerary selected by a consumer.") In the event that there is a discrepancy between what is shown at the point of sale and what the marketing carrier actually allows, then logic dictates that the more generous policy should probably apply.

Aside from that, baggage allowances are (usually) explicitly encoded on the eTicket at the time of ticketing. I'm pretty sure the allowance on United's eTicket display is decoding that. It would be pretty risky for a carrier to offer a less generous policy than what is encoded on the ticket given the DOT's rule. Plus, in some situations only the ticketing carrier is guaranteed to have a complete view of the itinerary in order to determine what rules might apply.

Last edited by Sykes; Jul 3, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
re: "A": I totally agree.

re: "B": Why? You can book plenty of revenue tickets on United.com today with zero warning or notification that it's a "light" fare on the LH group carriers. As far as I'm concerned a notification should be required but it's not and United has continued to do this since LH group introduced those fares years ago.

-RM
Because UA now has TATL Light fares, for which they display a message (and allow you to select a regular fare). I expect that they’ll eventually do the same for all LH-group Light fares — probably about the same time UA makes it possible to ticket BE from a non-US POS / on non-016 stock.

Even for flights that aren’t part of the JV, it seems a “I’ll scratch your back; you scratch mine” sort of situation.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Sykes
This is true, but the DOT also requires accurate disclosure of baggage allowances and fees at the point of sale. ("To meet the requirements implicit in 49 U.S.C. § 41712 with respect to internet advertisements, air carriers and foreign air carriers should place a notice regarding the above-described additional baggage charges on the first screen in which the carrier offers a fare quotation of a specific itinerary selected by a consumer.") In the event that there is a discrepancy between what is shown at the point of sale and what the marketing carrier actually allows, then logic dictates that the more generous policy should probably apply.

Aside from that, baggage allowances are (usually) explicitly encoded on the eTicket at the time of ticketing. I'm pretty sure the allowance on United's eTicket display is decoding that. It would be pretty risky for a carrier to offer a less generous policy than what is encoded on the ticket given the DOT's rule. Plus, in some situations only the ticketing carrier is guaranteed to have a complete view of the itinerary in order to determine what rules might apply.
Not sure why anyone is pointing at UA.

OP says she checked the LX website and got the "no bag" message. Not a peep about the UA e-ticket.

Indeed, the allowance for this segment is the allowance of the marketing carrier, UA, for this segment and for all remaining segments of the ticket. That allowance will show up on the e-ticket receipt and will specifically show the fee or $0 for the first two bags.

The LX check-in agent will see that information at each check-in.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Indeed, the allowance for this segment is the allowance of the marketing carrier, UA, for this segment and for all remaining segments of the ticket.
No! UA is not the marketing carrier for the first segment. UA award flights are always booked using native flight numbers. The marketing carrier is LX — marketing carrier means “whose flight number is it?”. The issuing / validating carrier is UA, but that doesn’t matter at all.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by sannmann
It’s a bug on the SWISS website. Awards book into Classic fares.
This, every UA award ticket for LH group flights books into an economy class that includes baggage. This includes 4U as well
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
This, every UA award ticket for LH group flights books into an economy class that includes baggage. This includes 4U as well
Wait, are there any airlines where UA award tickets would book into a class that doesn't include some sort of baggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.