Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Saver award (Business vs First) between Hawaii and Mainland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I booked saver award Honolulu-Las Vegas. HNL-SFO is IN (First) and SFO-LAS is XN (Economy). I was charged 40k. What is the deal with this award chart? Looks like I was charged for business (40k), not First (50k). I'm guessing the 40k "Business" applies to F on 2 cabin planes and J in 3 cabin planes???

SFO-LAS looks like sure-thing CPU (14 seats @ T-70ish), but IN exists now and I was thinking of calling in and asking for the IN space. I don't want to call in and have them say "You owe 10k more"...

Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I booked saver award Honolulu-Las Vegas. HNL-SFO is IN (First) and SFO-LAS is XN (Economy). I was charged 40k. What is the deal with this award chart? Looks like I was charged for business (40k), not First (50k). I'm guessing the 40k "Business" applies to F on 2 cabin planes and J in 3 cabin planes???

SFO-LAS looks like sure-thing CPU (14 seats @ T-70ish), but IN exists now and I was thinking of calling in and asking for the IN space. I don't want to call in and have them say "You owe 10k more"...
40K is the correct amount. First awards are only applicable on three-cabin planes.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just call and get the FC seat. One cannot trust the system to give you a FC on LAS-SFO.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
40K is the correct amount. First awards are only applicable on three-cabin planes.
Thanks. I'm gonna call in for the seat.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Thanks. I'm gonna call in for the seat.
Don't understand about calling. If there's no I/IN available on the LAS-SFO flight, how are you entitled to a seat in F? You can standby for I/IN. 40k is the correct pricing on the two class aircraft and 50k would be the correct pricing on the non-existent three-class aircraft.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
Don't understand about calling. If there's no I/IN available on the LAS-SFO flight, how are you entitled to a seat in F? You can standby for I/IN. 40k is the correct pricing on the two class aircraft and 50k would be the correct pricing on the non-existent three-class aircraft.
OP said IN is now present on SFOLAS. I'm guessing that there was no inventory when the reservation was created.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
40k is the correct pricing on the two class aircraft and 50k would be the correct pricing on the non-existent three-class aircraft.
It would not be unheard of for UA to sub in a 3-class 772 (of which UA still has more than 25) on this route.

That said, I/IN is the correct booking code, and 40k is the correct price. It would only be 50k if it booked into O.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would not be unheard of for UA to sub in a 3-class 772 (of which UA still has more than 25) on this route.
Sure--and "non existent" was probably an overstatement, but I haven't seen one in quite awhile, have you? Polaris 2 class birds occasionally will fly IAD-HNL and SFO-HNL.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sure--and "non existent" was probably an overstatement, but I haven't seen one in quite awhile, have you? Polaris 2 class birds occasionally will fly IAD-HNL and SFO-HNL.
The subs are most common over the holidays, when UA has excess wide-body capacity and can use the additional lift to the islands. I don't remember whether any were reported this last Christmas.

Not sure what you mean by "Polaris 2 class birds" - the HD configuration (77G) with the IPTE seat is regularly flown on SFO, LAX, DEN, IAH, and ORD. EWR and IAD get the 764 (and occasionally a 763 swap), as the non-ER 772A doesn't have the range.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IAD-HNL is now exclusively on 763, not 764. My friend was on a Polarised 763 on June 3. So, slippahs was correct.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
OP said IN is now present on SFOLAS. I'm guessing that there was no inventory when the reservation was created.
Correct.

No IN SFO-LAS at booking. IN now available (or was - haven't looked since I grabbed a seat).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
The subs are most common over the holidays, when UA has excess wide-body capacity and can use the additional lift to the islands. I don't remember whether any were reported this last Christmas.

Not sure what you mean by "Polaris 2 class birds" - the HD configuration (77G) with the IPTE seat is regularly flown on SFO, LAX, DEN, IAH, and ORD. EWR and IAD get the 764 (and occasionally a 763 swap), as the non-ER 772A doesn't have the range.
As noted upthread, HNL-IAD is a 763. Missed a Polaris 2 class 763 by a day earlier this month. It looks like they are coming through from time to time.

We don't see 3-class 777s anymore in HNL even over the holidays. Just Polaris-ized 773s once in a blue moon. Alas, just never when I'm flying UA my 4-6x/month out of HNL.
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.