Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner Availabilty - do reservations agents see same options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Trying to book a RT US-Eastern Europe Y award that has tons of availability on Turkish when I check other *A sites, but not coming up on UA. Do phone agents see the exact same availability we do, or can they search for specific flights?

Similarly, UA is showing XYZ-VIE-CPH-EWR availability as an alternate routing but then when I click to book, claims VIE-CPH has no space. I know this sort of phantom space is super common but the unusual thing is XYZ-VIE-CPH or even VIE-CPH-EWR are both bookable at the saver level. Any ideas? Would a phone rep be able to help? I tried with one but they were pretty useless. Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfieldston
Trying to book a RT US-Eastern Europe Y award that has tons of availability on Turkish when I check other *A sites, but not coming up on UA. Do phone agents see the exact same availability we do, or can they search for specific flights?

In general, agents will see the same inventory as displayed on United.com. United does have the ability to suppress some inventory from display on the website -- Singapore Airlines awards were suppressed for a long time, and Ethiopian had disappeared for a while. Both are back. I haven't heard of any issues with Turkish, though.

Similarly, UA is showing XYZ-VIE-CPH-EWR availability as an alternate routing but then when I click to book, claims VIE-CPH has no space. I know this sort of phantom space is super common but the unusual thing is XYZ-VIE-CPH or even VIE-CPH-EWR are both bookable at the saver level. Any ideas? Would a phone rep be able to help? I tried with one but they were pretty useless. Thanks!
If you can book VIE-CPH-EWR successfully, try doing that and then calling in within 24 hours to add the XYZ-VIE leg.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you can book VIE-CPH-EWR successfully, try doing that and then calling in within 24 hours to add the XYZ-VIE leg.
Will they let me do that? I assume they only would if I'm not otherwise using the excursionist perk, right?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will they let me do that? I assume they only would if I'm not otherwise using the excursionist perk, right?
It's hit or miss. When this new system was first rolled out, it was difficult to get agents to modify awards like this. Recent reports are more encouraging.

I did not intend to suggest that you use it as your Excursionist Perk, rather that you see if the agent can change VIE-CPH-EWR into XYZ-VIE-CPH-EWR while preserving everything else.

If you prefer, you can also just call to (try to) book it. Say "I see a flight from XYZ to VIE at 7:45 AM; do you see that one?" or whatever the case may be. If the agent mentions a telephone booking fee, ask if it can be waived because you were unable to complete the booking online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.