Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

11JUN18 - UA 971 (FCO-ORD) Diverted to SNN for security reasons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11JUN18 - UA 971 (FCO-ORD) Diverted to SNN for security reasons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Would Global Entry be helpful in this situation?
Helpful for what? Whoever has GE would be able to use GE lines or kiosks, where available, at whatever the relevant airport is for whatever flight they wind up taking back to the US.

It's not going to get you out of a security investigation any faster. I'm sure passengers being rebooked are done based on airline status, destination/routing availability, etc.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what good Global Entry will do other than get them through immigration faster when they land at ORD, which it would do regardless of the incident happening or not.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Generally speaking, people with bombs who intend to detonate them, don't usually scratch warning messages about it in toilets

That message could have been there for hours, days, weeks or who knows how long. Forcing people to give handwriting samples?
I don't know how much of this to believe, but one of the local Chicago TV stations (NBC) interviewed pax as they finally deplaned at ORD. Among the things said is that the FAs said something about "notes were found in a Lav, would the person responsible please come forward". Not surprisingly, that had no result. They then said they'd later been told that a similar message had been found in a 2nd lav. I don't think I'd heard that before. The last thing said was that the handwriting sample produced "no results" (again, no big surprise) and then everyone eventually got back on the plane.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milepig
I don't know how much of this to believe, but one of the local Chicago TV stations (NBC) interviewed pax as they finally deplaned at ORD. Among the things said is that the FAs said something about "notes were found in a Lav, would the person responsible please come forward". Not surprisingly, that had no result. They then said they'd later been told that a similar message had been found in a 2nd lav. I don't think I'd heard that before. The last thing said was that the handwriting sample produced "no results" (again, no big surprise) and then everyone eventually got back on the plane.
It's always "out of an abundance of caution". Wake me up when they start trying "out of abundance of common sense" instead.
wideman, Miggles, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Generally speaking, people with bombs who intend to detonate them, don't usually scratch warning messages about it in toilets
But idiots who deserve to be prosecuted, sued for the cost of the diversion, and banned for life do.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k

That message could have been there for hours, days, weeks or who knows how long. Forcing people to give handwriting samples?
I'm genuinely curious what you think they should have done?
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Imstevek
I'm genuinely curious what you think they should have done?
Assuming passengers and their bags were properly screened at FCO, I don't see anything else was needed. I agree the guilty party should be found, but since there is no practical way to do this, everything else is just showmanship "out of an abundance of caution". Terrorists with sophisticated explosives that can be brought around or through airport security don't leave crazy notes, and crazy people who leave notes, don't have sophisticated explosives.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA *G

I thought European terrorists like the IRA and ETA had a history of giving warning calls ahead of actual explosions? So I wouldn't be surprised if an aircraft in European airspace took a warning note seriously.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
We are now trained. "If you see something, say something". Agree that people who might seek to bring down a plane don't leave advance notes. But for that 1 in 1 billion cases where it happens, UA would be done for by continuing the flight and then a disaster occurred. PA103 followed weeks after a threat called into the Helsinki embassy and several prominent people reportedly switched off.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau
We are now trained. "If you see something, say something". Agree that people who might seek to bring down a plane don't leave advance notes. But for that 1 in 1 billion cases where it happens, UA would be done for by continuing the flight and then a disaster occurred. PA103 followed weeks after a threat called into the Helsinki embassy and several prominent people reportedly switched off.
True, but I think it's more complicated when you start thinking about the possibilities....if the terrorist is real, and onboard, what will they do when they realize the flight is being diverted? Detonate the bomb? Give up? If someone calls in a threat in advance, I would hope there are mechanisms in place to filter out the source to determine if it needs further action or likely a hoax, but leaving a random note on a flight, which may or may not be the flight the note writer is on, is less likely to be real vs a hoax. Dumping the flight is one answer - what about cargo? Did they screen that at SNN? If not, why?

To me, when they look only at passengers and bags, it's more theater than realistic....if they dump everything and do a thorough inspection (like hours and hours of searching with dogs, going through fixed and removable components, catering carts, trash, etc), passenger bags, cargo and everything else, I would give them more of a pass because it's an honest attempt to leave no stone unturned to clear the aircraft and everything on it. Not to go back into the old TSS forum arguments, but when you focus 99% on passengers and bags and ignore most of everything else, I am really not impressed about the authority's real intentions.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:13 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
This is about as dumb as the case a couple of years ago where some mechanic drew the smiley face + "bye bye" in the cargo hold, and the flight attendants refused to fly and were fired for it.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:22 pm

True, but I think it's more complicated when you start thinking about the possibilities....if the terrorist is real, and onboard, what will they do when they realize the flight is being diverted? Detonate the bomb? Give up? If someone calls in a threat in advance, I would hope there are mechanisms in place to filter out the source to determine if it needs further action or likely a hoax, but leaving a random note on a flight, which may or may not be the flight the note writer is on, is less likely to be real vs a hoax. Dumping the flight is one answer - what about cargo? Did they screen that at SNN? If not, why?

To me, when they look only at passengers and bags, it's more theater than realistic....if they dump everything and do a thorough inspection (like hours and hours of searching with dogs, going through fixed and removable components, catering carts, trash, etc), passenger bags, cargo and everything else, I would give them more of a pass because it's an honest attempt to leave no stone unturned to clear the aircraft and everything on it. Not to go back into the old TSS forum arguments, but when you focus 99% on passengers and bags and ignore most of everything else, I am really not impressed about the authority's real intentions.
Sounds good... how? When my ship was preparing to deploy for the Persian Gulf back in Oct 1990 ….a deployment which was public knowledge - we received numerous "bomb threat" calls from so called anti-war activists (funny how they didn't seem to care about the invasiuon of Kuwait by Iraq but whatever) trying to disrupt our departure....and yes we quickly started to ignore them..... but a warship is a difficult target for such things....and there was no "public" to worry about.... HOW do you cavalierly dismiss any possible threat against hundreds of "civilians"?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Sounds good... how? When my ship was preparing to deploy for the Persian Gulf back in Oct 1990 ….a deployment which was public knowledge - we received numerous "bomb threat" calls from so called anti-war activists (funny how they didn't seem to care about the invasiuon of Kuwait by Iraq but whatever) trying to disrupt our departure....and yes we quickly started to ignore them..... but a warship is a difficult target for such things....and there was no "public" to worry about.... HOW do you cavalierly dismiss any possible threat against hundreds of "civilians"?
Life comes with risks - we need to balance risk against safety, but besides that, I answered in my post - if the authorities feel the threat is credible, then search everything, not just passengers and their bags. If there is reasonable concern of a bomb on board, I expect to see the aircraft and every component turned upside down in the search, otherwise I would be hesitant to get back on board myself! If the threat is not really credible, and I put this note in that category, just move on. If someone told me they found a note on board, I wouldn't give it much thought - if someone told me a call from a suspect area overseas, or to an embassy or other official channel, was made targeting my flight with specifics, then I would expect better measures be taken than extra bag checks and silly questions. If someone cannot prove to me that all cargo was checked and all catering and service carts were physically inspected and dogs were taken throughout the cabin and cargo areas, then I might be inclined to skip that flight and find another way home.

I don't have much patience for govt stupidity, but that doesn't mean I'm careless or stupid myself.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

Agree that we have a lot of theater in aviation security and since the plane landed safely in SNN and then ORD, it was obviously a sick prank. But as we all know too well, commercial aviation has been targeted, sometimes with individuals indicating willingness to forgo their own lives to bring down a plane. I can only imagine that for many pax that must have been an unsettling diversion which fortunately ended only with a 24 hour delay.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic reminder

As this is the UA forum, we should focus on UA's response in this incident or UA handling of potential future incidents. Recent posts are drifting into OMNI or Travel Safety/Security

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Assuming passengers and their bags were properly screened at FCO, I don't see anything else was needed. I agree the guilty party should be found, but since there is no practical way to do this, everything else is just showmanship "out of an abundance of caution". Terrorists with sophisticated explosives that can be brought around or through airport security don't leave crazy notes, and crazy people who leave notes, don't have sophisticated explosives.
That's a very reckless approach, which you can afford from your armchair. Using that perspective to be overly critical is just as reckless. Again, UA is damned if they do, damned if they don't. And they do enough wrong to be critical. In this case, not so sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.