Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Helicopter returns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

EWR Helicopter returns

During the last cycle an outfit called US Helicopter had a deal with Continental for flights from 34th street and Wall Street to Newark.

It was rolled into the price of full fare biz class tickets, but being the unsustainable venture it was, US Helicopter also had some pretty lucrative sales. I remember paying less than $100 one way for a ride from Wall Street to EWR (purchased directly from the helicopter company, not CO).

Now the option is back...but priced very differently...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/unit...licopters.html

$2099 for a ride for up to 3 people - that's just the helicopter ride.

United - Home

It's basically piggybacking off an existing charter operation, not regularly scheduled service like US Helicopter was.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

That is certainly different pricing. I remember taking USH from Wall Street to EWR for $109. 8 total minutes, TSA screening was done at the heliport, so a quick walk from the helipad into the C-3 concourse. Helicopter used to land where the C130W/X/Y/Z bus gates are now. While $109 was not sustainable, I always hoped there would be a price point somewhere in there that would be serviceable.

I would think there would be a large customer base (financial, law, etc) located in lower Manhattan that could probably make a more expensive option realistic were travel times to be significantly reduced.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A very few high net worth individuals who pay for their own travel or are the control person of a privately held outfit, might do this. But, the demand for even large businesses likely isn't there. As soon as start discounting to drive demand on a service such as this, it's doomed. NYC isn't Los Angeles. People may spend a lot, but they don't toss it around to be seen. At LAX there are people who would pay to be seen offloading from a chopper and eat ramen noodles for a month to pay for it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:48 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by gernabae
That is certainly different pricing. I remember taking USH from Wall Street to EWR for $109. 8 total minutes, TSA screening was done at the heliport, so a quick walk from the helipad into the C-3 concourse. Helicopter used to land where the C130W/X/Y/Z bus gates are now. While $109 was not sustainable, I always hoped there would be a price point somewhere in there that would be serviceable.

I would think there would be a large customer base (financial, law, etc) located in lower Manhattan that could probably make a more expensive option realistic were travel times to be significantly reduced.
I suspect the actual market is not the time-conscious but the status-conscious. What price can you put on ushering your new girlfriend into a chopper, eh?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:51 pm

Great point, didn't think about it that way. I'm so amused thinking about people literally sacrificing everything so they can be seen but you're absolutely right.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gernabae

$109 is cheaper than a cab or Uber sometimes... that's a steal. I can see that it would be more expensive now.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Right, but these days, it can take 2+ hours to get from Manhattan to EWR (as it did for me on Friday)....and at $109, it would've been cheaper than my Uber! I can see how that model isn't sustainable.

But I would gladly pay in the $250-300 range for this service. Beyond that, I'd take my chances on the third world bus terminal known as LGA (which I often do when I don't have a connection).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
$109? No question! $2100 or $700 pp assuming one could get three to divide it? I don't think I could expense that

Originally Posted by TCD
I suspect the actual market is not the time-conscious but the status-conscious. What price can you put on ushering your new girlfriend into a chopper, eh?
Or avoid the TSA PreCheck lines at EWR, assuming the check is done at the helipad and you're "shuttled directly to the terminal...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 11, 2018 at 8:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I respect that UA is pushing this now, but it really isn't especially new. Blade is the other option for a (slightly) more budget-friendly helicopter transfer. Still not as good as the $100 USH rides (I did it a couple times) but it should be cheaper than the $2000+.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I took the helicopter maybe twice many years ago from E34 when flying on full fare J and I think it was thrown in. .It was a magical experience for just the views. If you can, do it.....the views of the Statue of Liberty then navigating into EWR are tremendous.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:47 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Or avoid the TSA PreCheck lines at EWR, assuming the check is done at the helipad and you're "shuttled directly to the terminal...
True, but as I've never spent more than 10 minutes in the PreCheck line then that does work out at about $12,000ph. You'd have to really, really, hate waiting in lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.