Wiki Posts
Search

HKG via GUM to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum
HKG via GUM to Japan

Hi there, I am trying to meet the 4 sector requirement on UA metal. Being based at HKG, there are limited intra-Asia options since many of the 5th freedom flights are gone
UA flies HKG-GUM and GUM to multiple Japanese airports but I have not been able to price this on a single ticket but can do it as two separate tickets.
Does anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CS300
UA flies HKG-GUM and GUM to multiple Japanese airports but I have not been able to price this on a single ticket but can do it as two separate tickets.
UA isn't particularly interested in selling HKG-GUM-(Japan) flights. It's way out of the way -- for example, routing HKG-CTS via GUM is 78% further than routing via NRT on NH. I think they'd rather people just flew somebody else on that route, as I doubt they can make much money trying to serve those customers.

They do have fares filed, but they all seem to be Y fares and thus extremely expensive.

The cheapest destination from HKG might well be HNL or SFO; the quickest turnaround on a reasonable fare is probably SPN.

Play around with matrix.itasoftware.com and see what you can find. Keep in mind that UA only offers service to/from HKG on certain days. The advanced control you're looking for is probably o:ua o:ua+ -- that's "at least two segments, with all segments operated by United" and goes in the "routing codes" boxes after you click the "Advanced Controls" link.

Good luck.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA isn't particularly interested in selling HKG-GUM-(Japan) flights. It's way out of the way -- for example, routing HKG-CTS via GUM is 78% further than routing via NRT on NH. I think they'd rather people just flew somebody else on that route, as I doubt they can make much money trying to serve those customers.

They do have fares filed, but they all seem to be Y fares and thus extremely expensive.

The cheapest destination from HKG might well be HNL or SFO; the quickest turnaround on a reasonable fare is probably SPN.

Play around with matrix.itasoftware.com and see what you can find. Keep in mind that UA only offers service to/from HKG on certain days. The advanced control you're looking for is probably o:ua o:ua+ -- that's "at least two segments, with all segments operated by United" and goes in the "routing codes" boxes after you click the "Advanced Controls" link.

Good luck.
thanks very much!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:46 am

Take a look at the last few messages in this thread: UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai
Might be something worth exploring (or not)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by br2k
Take a look at the last few messages in this thread: UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai
Might be something worth exploring (or not)
along these lines, there have been some extremely competitive TPAC fares to/from Hong Kong. Not sure which status level you are chasing, but I found a fare in the other direction YYC-HKG for C$1,000 including W one way, which allowed me to burn a GPU on the way over. Also got hobo first on the way back. Did this trip two weeks ago.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by CS300
Hi there, I am trying to meet the 4 sector requirement on UA metal. Being based at HKG, there are limited intra-Asia options since many of the 5th freedom flights are gone

Thanks in advance.
UA flies many destinations out of GUM. If you are just looking for 4 segments try something really close by like SPN, you can even just buy two round separate roundtrips (HKG-GUM and GUM-SPN) and spend a day or two at each place. Or you choose something more unusual like YAP. You do not need to go all the way to Japan unless you really want to. Good luck, I like Guam, it is a nice place to rent a car and explore.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

thank you for all the advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.