Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Maple Leaf Club membership to get into United Clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

Perhaps this is a silly question, but you can get a Maple Leaf Club "North America" membership for about $350USD, which is much cheaper than a United Club membership, and it seems to get you into United Clubs.

Am I mistaken or is this a better way to get into the UA clubs? I'm already *G so I'm not worried about the lack of international lounge access from MLC membership.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
According to the Star Alliance Lounge Finder, yes Maple Leaf Club Membership would get you into United Clubs.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
According to the fine print, the Maple Leaf Club doesn't include guest privileges whereas the United Club membership does (2 adults, or spouse and dependent children). So it's not fully equivalent.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Perhaps this is a silly question, but you can get a Maple Leaf Club "North America" membership for about $350USD, which is much cheaper than a United Club membership, and it seems to get you into United Clubs. ....
Yes to individual access but North American ML membership would not allow any guesting privileges vs 2 quest or dependent family for UC membership.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:39 pm

You may also want to consider accruing *A Gold with another airline's program (i.e. Asiana or Aegean) since that too should grant you access to United clubs when flying domestically. On side note, Asiana's program allows you to earn *A Gold status for life when you fly 500,000 "miles" on *A partners (not just UA).

Safe Travels,

James
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
You may also want to consider accruing *A Gold with another airline's program (i.e. Asiana or Aegean) since that too should grant you access to United clubs when flying domestically. On side note, Asiana's program allows you to earn *A Gold status for life when you fly 500,000 "miles" on *A partners (not just UA).

Safe Travels,

James
The issue with that though is *G status on partners doesn’t get you economy plus seats, GPUs, CPUs, or RPUs, all of which are benefits I value more than domestic UA club access

As far as guests, I usually travel alone so that’s not an issue for me, I just wanted to know if there was some catch to the Maple Club membership that I was missing.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In addition to the guest difference already mention, ML membership will only get you into a UC if you have a departing Star Alliance flight.

UC membership will get you in with *any* boarding pass (for any airline) - including on arrival.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Agremeister
The issue with that though is *G status on partners doesn’t get you economy plus seats, GPUs, CPUs, or RPUs, all of which are benefits I value more than domestic UA club access

As far as guests, I usually travel alone so that’s not an issue for me, I just wanted to know if there was some catch to the Maple Club membership that I was missing.
There have been reports of FTers entering the UC by presenting their foreign *A Gold cards with their booking details (including mileage accrual and FFP) being tied to their UA account.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
There have been reports of FTers entering the UC by presenting their foreign *A Gold cards with their booking details (including mileage accrual and FFP) being tied to their UA account.
Yes, this works perfectly and I do it all the time for domestic flights.

However I think the point that was being made was that for most people crediting to a foreign program means that you won't earn enough points to get UA MP status, and thus will miss the UA benefits.

If you fly enough to get status with multiple airlines then it works, but even then you're still ending up with miles split across multiple airlines, and potentially missing out on higher status with one of them. (In my case I have no trouble making 1K plus TK Elite, but doing it did cost me 2 additional RPUs with United last year)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
MLL Access for UA Club Members regardless of Boarding Pass

Originally Posted by docbert
In addition to the guest difference already mention, ML membership will only get you into a UC if you have a departing Star Alliance flight.

UC membership will get you in with *any* boarding pass (for any airline) - including on arrival.
Hello Docbert and fellow FT-ers -

I came across this interesting reply, and wanted to have some feedback about Docbert's assertion above: has it been tested? I am looking at the official Star Alliance lounges policy, and only found that access to *A for UA Club and AC MLL paid memberships only apply when the flight is operated by a *A carrier. Therefore, I was wondering if this is an unofficial benefit.

I will have a return trip LGA-YUL operated by DL (for work, couldn't choose), and since the MLL is the only lounge available in the U.S.-bound flight terminal, I would be really happy to be able to enjoy some comfort, despite flying on a DL-marketed/DL-metal flight.

Thanks for your feedback!
-vinnyc
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by vinnyc
Hello Docbert and fellow FT-ers -

I came across this interesting reply, and wanted to have some feedback about Docbert's assertion above: has it been tested? I am looking at the official Star Alliance lounges policy, and only found that access to *A for UA Club and AC MLL paid memberships only apply when the flight is operated by a *A carrier. Therefore, I was wondering if this is an unofficial benefit.

I will have a return trip LGA-YUL operated by DL (for work, couldn't choose), and since the MLL is the only lounge available in the U.S.-bound flight terminal, I would be really happy to be able to enjoy some comfort, despite flying on a DL-marketed/DL-metal flight.

Thanks for your feedback!
-vinnyc
I just flew YUL-LGA on Delta last week. I am not *A Gold but I have a United Club membership.

The Maple Leaf lounge agent did not let me in. She said I had to be flying *A.

Unfortunately the priority pass lounge in YUL is not accessible if you are departing to the USA.

The gate area was comfortable, though.
vinnyc likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
. She said I had to be flying *A.
That is correct. " You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. "
vinnyc likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:17 am

Thanks for your replies guys.

Indeed, I mis-read in the sentence:
"UC membership will get you in with *any* boarding pass (for any airline) - including on arrival."
For some reason, I was thinking of my particular case (access to the MLL in YUL on a DL-operated flight). Reading again, I understand Docbert's assertion as applying to access to UAL Clubs, irrespective of the operating airline.
My bad!

-vinnyc
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by vinnyc
For some reason, I was thinking of my particular case (access to the MLL in YUL on a DL-operated flight). Reading again, I understand Docbert's assertion as applying to access to UAL Clubs, irrespective of the operating airline.
My bad!
That's correct - With a UA Club membership you can access :
1) Any United Club, at any time, as long you have any a boarding pass for a flight to/from that airport.
2) Other Star Alliance lounges (such as the MLL), but ONLY when departing on a Star Alliance carrier from that airport.

In your case, if there had been a UA Club in YUL, you would have been allowed enter. As there was only an MLL, and you were not flying *A, you were correctly denied entry.
vinnyc likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
That's correct - With a UA Club membership you can access :
1) Any United Club, at any time, as long you have any a boarding pass for a flight to/from that airport.
2) Other Star Alliance lounges (such as the MLL), but ONLY when departing on a Star Alliance carrier from that airport.

In your case, if there had been a UA Club in YUL, you would have been allowed enter. As there was only an MLL, and you were not flying *A, you were correctly denied entry.
Actually, it will be on an upcoming flight next week, so I won't be denied entry, since I know now the rules! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.