Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Infant (lap) not showing on reservation booking by Expedia on UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat

I booked the trip on Expedia (tried United directly initially but they couldn't complete the attendant hotel reservation at checkout, so I gave up on them and went to Expedia).

On the Expedia itinerary page the infant does have her own ticket number (though her ticket number and those of the rest of the travelers are not sequential, but only hers). There is only one airline confirmation number associated with the Expedia reservation and all travelers.

When I went to manage the trip on the United site, the infant's name was not on the list of travelers. I called the toll free number and the agent said she did not see any lap infant associated with the the confirmation number. I gave her the ticket number and she found the infant, although not immediately. She said the infant was listed under "special requests".

The United agent wasn't the most pleasant person in the world and wouldn't really answer my question of whether this would be a problem at the airport. I suspect it will be an issue at online check-in because I cannot input the child's passport particulars (the flight is between Canada and the US).

Should I be calling Expedia to ask them to fix this? Should I be concerned?

Thank you in advance.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, Travel agencies can’t add lap infants to reservations, only UA can. I beleive the agency adds as a speacial request and then. UA has to handle it. I don’t book through agencies much, but at least last time I tried through UR, I had to call it in to UA after. I beleive this was for a domestic flight though, so not as important as that’s easy to add at the last minute.

Heres a question: did you pay taxes for the lap infant to Expedi? That is charged on tickets to Canada (actually, it’s only for the segment from Canada, if you want semantics). If the answer is no, than I would almost guarantee the lap infant is not ticketed properly. It’s beena year or so, but IME, done multiple trips to Canada with a lap infant between about 2015 and last year, and the taxes required for all of them (all booked directly from UA) were about USD $16 or $17.

Id call UA and make sure the lap infant is properly ticketed on the same PNR.

Also, IME, having ticket numbers in sequence doesn’t really mean anything - even when booking flights for multiple pax on a single reservation on UAs site, it isn’t necessarily done that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.