Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated YYZ (Toronto) logistics / customs / connections / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated YYZ (Toronto) logistics / customs / connections / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
There is also a premium lane at YYZ T1 transborder security if the OP's flight to ORD is in business class.

OP does not need to be in business class to use that lane. At least for the US pre-clearance side, priority is also Premier Access security which they get as being a Premier Gold.

Per the Star Alliance Gold track website:

Priority security for Star Alliance Gold and First/Business Class passengers for all Star Alliance member carriers operating to YYZ in the respective areas:
  • domestic - AC
  • transborder - AC/UA
  • international - all except UA
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso

OP does not need to be in business class to use that lane. At least for the US pre-clearance side, priority is also Premier Access security which they get as being a Premier Gold.

Correct, but OP's profile doesn't list *G.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:59 am

Correct, but OP's profile doesn't list *G.
Originally Posted by Moflav
Would we have access to the United lounge (I am United Gold)?
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold

No business class on Embraer RJ145

Take your physical Global Entry card....
Thanks Liddy0021

I was not going to bring the physical card but after your advice, I found it after 15 minutes of frantically looking for it in an unorganized desk drawer

And thank to all for the tips!
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by liddy0021
I don't think pre-check or fare class, for that matter, enable you to use Nexus, unless you have a paid Nexus membership card.
Nexus OR Global Entry.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We are arriving from DXB to YYZ on Emirates airlines. Our next flight is on United to ORD. We are US citizens with Global entry.
The EK flight arrives at YYZ from DXB at 9:15 am at Terminal 1 and we fly out on United to ORD at 12:17 pm. What is the process to reach our connecting flight to ORD?
I am assuming no interline agreement between Emirates and United so do we will pick up our luggage after customs and immigration and proceed to the ticket counter at United?
How much time does this normally take?
Would we have access to the United lounge (I am United Gold)?
Actually the information provided upthread is only correct IF you have checked bags AND your bags will not be checked through by EK.

So this is how it will work:

1, checked bags NOT checked through by EK - follow instructions above
2. No checked bags, OR you can convince EK to check them through, upon arrival and going upstairs to the arrivals walkway, you will look for the USA Connections area and go directly into the US pre-clearance area, clear security, find a GE machine and process as usual, enter the transborder area and you can go upstairs to the Maple Leaf Lounge before your connecting flight
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Clear Canada immigration/customs, collect bags, recheck bags with United, clear security, clear US immigration/customs.

~1 hour for the Canada immigration + bag collect/recheck part.

There is no United lounge in YYZ. You have access to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge.
note to OP, you’ll need to follow signs for customs A, as if you’re final is YYZ. Otherwise, presumably you won’t get through anywhere else without an onward BP, but also, even if you could, without the checked bag through, you won’t be able to retrieve it. Then you’ll go upstairs to departure level to check in with UA. If you’re *G or premier, use the Premier Access line, even if the sign only says 1K or Polaris - you will have access, even if only a silver. The regular lines force you to use the stupid ‘common’ kiosks, and they regularly don’t read US passports or Nexus cards (and presumably GE cards) properly - at least IME.

Originally Posted by liddy0021
Also - I **believe** you can use the fast lane through security screening if you have your physical Global Entry card. Maybe someone here can confirm, but I seem to remember that from my last trip through Vancouver in May (when I cussed myself for not having it and the line was 5 miles long). I assume all Canadian airports have the same policies?
unless something has changed in the past few months, the sign only specifies Nexus and not specifically GE. I’ve definitely heard of them allowing both sometimes, but not sure if that is SOP. YMMV, I guess...I have Nexus so I’ve never had to figure out for sure. What I can say is even though the line is shorter and typically takes less time then the regular line, it does seem CATSA pays extra special attention to the bags going through the trusted traveller line then the regular line. It’s super slow. For those who think the TSA is awful, CATSA beats them hands down...and that has to take effort.

Correct, on the security check.

Because OP has to collect bag, immigration lines may be long depending on the volume of arrivals. If not, OP would have been able to do airside transit (international to transborder) at YYZ T1.
yup. I’ve arrived behind the EK 380 before, and have definitely seen them metering folks from entering the customs hall at YYZ. That was before they had the kiosks for Canadian/US residents to use, but I’ve seen it happen (on the other hand, I’ve seen way worse in T3, so there’s that).

when did that change? I know the priority security line used to only be for certain Amex cardholders (plat?) as well as Only Air Canada elite/premium cabin, and not other carriers. Traveling in UA F, sometimes they would let me in, but apparently at least at that point they weren’t supposed to (this was before the Nexus line existed). Non AC elites, including UA *G definitely weren’t allowed access. If that’s changed, that’s a huge improvement.

No business class on Embraer RJ145
was wondering about that. Thought the noon flight was the E45. Which is why I always take the 11am to ORD when leaving around midday - that one is usually a 738 or A320).

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually the information provided upthread is only correct IF you have checked bags AND your bags will not be checked through by EK.

So this is how it will work:

1, checked bags NOT checked through by EK - follow instructions above
2. No checked bags, OR you can convince EK to check them through, upon arrival and going upstairs to the arrivals walkway, you will look for the USA Connections area and go directly into the US pre-clearance area, clear security, find a GE machine and process as usual, enter the transborder area and you can go upstairs to the Maple Leaf Lounge before your connecting flight
i don’t beleive UA and EK even have an interline agreement anymore. Didn’t they drop that a few years ago with them and a bunch of other ME carriers?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe

unless something has changed in the past few months, the sign only specifies Nexus and not specifically GE. I’ve definitely heard of them allowing both sometimes, but not sure if that is SOP. YMMV, I guess.

GE card holders most definitely can use the Nexus priority security line. In fact, I think CATSA has started actually putting it on their signs (at least I've seen it on some signs recently).
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Any recent experience for UA at YYZ?
I have a 7am flight on July 1 to SFO and then PPT. I cannot check in online - probably SSSS due to one way award ticket.
I recall UA doesn't have a *G counter - just 1K at YYZ?
Will 4am at the airport be early enough these days? TK*G and NEXUS card holder.
Many thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
I'm doing a same-day turn EWR-YYZ-EWR in January to connect onto another reservation (ticket 1 EWR-YYZ, ticket 2 YYZ-EWR-(multi-day layover)-XXX).
I gave myself a 5 hour connection time in case of issues, but curious if anyone has any recent transfer data points on how long immigration takes these days. Hoping to standby for a flight that leaves ~3 hours after arrival.
I assume I can't standby for an AC flight like YYZ-LGA when I have a UA ticket booked on 016 stock.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Dec 28, 2022 at 10:04 am
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:55 pm

Following up on my previous post: I flew EWR-YYZ-EWR today.

Flew in on UA UA 3556 and landed early at 1:44 PM. Originally scheduled to return on UA 3525 at 7 PM but was able to SDC to a confirmed seat on the earlier UA 3653 at 5:20 PM before departing Newark.
UA 3653 was canceled while I was in the air due to weather and I was rebooked back on UA 3525 (lol).

I had Global Entry and the sterile transfer back to the US gates was a breeze, didn't take 5 mins. CBP officer didn't give me a hard time about the same day turn. Because there were no lines at immigration, I was able to run back the gate my aircraft arrived at and fly standby on UA 3651 back to Newark, making an insane 47 minute International connection. This was the last flight out for several hours due to cancellations.

Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
I assume I can't standby for an AC flight like YYZ-LGA when I have a UA ticket booked on 016 stock.
Answering this question - the SDC feature in the app was offering confirmed seats on AC flights for a UA flight booked on 016 stock (at least to Newark, didn’t try asking an AC agent about LGA).

Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ericw
Any recent experience for UA at YYZ?
I have a 7am flight on July 1 to SFO and then PPT. I cannot check in online - probably SSSS due to one way award ticket.
I recall UA doesn't have a *G counter - just 1K at YYZ?
Will 4am at the airport be early enough these days? TK*G and NEXUS card holder.
Many thanks.
US customs doesnt open until 4:30am
Not much of a counter at YYZ, mostly kiosks with staff assisting self check in
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Answering this question - the SDC feature in the app was offering confirmed seats on AC flights for a UA flight booked on 016 stock (at least to Newark, didn’t try asking an AC agent about LGA).

img
Very weird. Seems like the app is partially mixing up codeshares?? The last AC8202 to operate was YXS-YVR in 2015. So those are the wrong flight numbers for the airline code. They put the UA codeshare number on the AC flight, but indeed it is AC metal (AC8884 / UA8202).

I am quite curious if you could confirm onto one, although I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work. Never seen this before.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fumje
Very weird. Seems like the app is partially mixing up codeshares?? The last AC8202 to operate was YXS-YVR in 2015. So those are the wrong flight numbers for the airline code. They put the UA codeshare number on the AC flight, but indeed it is AC metal (AC8884 / UA8202).

I am quite curious if you could confirm onto one, although I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work. Never seen this before.
I was expecting it to throw the ticket out of sync, thus requiring the OP to call UA or find an agent to fix it (though I'd wonder if they would say it was just a glitch and keep him on UA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.