Wiki Posts
Search

can I pay UA for a ticket with a check?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
can I pay UA for a ticket with a check?

Apparently UA doesn't want to accept checks (per phone agent) for a ticket (but she said they WILL accept cash and ?covert it to a debit card). I need to be able to track the payment for a number of years and since I change credit cards often I thought it would be easier to pay with a check (since that account doesn't change)
Is the info I got really true?
Old May 6, 2018, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
See UA's Accepted forms of payment
Old May 7, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks sorry I didn't see this. First under acceptable forms of payments it says "
  • Cash payment at an airport ticket office or United ticket office"
But then...."Payment transactions at airports

As part of our efforts toward creating a faster and more efficient airport experience for our customers, the United check-in counters and kiosks at some of the airports we serve no longer accept cash as a form of payment."

Almost all sites are listed under "no longer accept cash" - and there are no more city ticket offices - so cash which I thought was "legal tender" for payment in the US isn't for airline tickets - weird. further investigation led me to this:

"This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise."

Live and learn
Old May 7, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: UA
Being pedantic, but I think there are at least 2 CTOs left, one in NY Penn Station and one in Honolulu at the Ala Moana Mall.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t understand what you mean by having to trace the payment for a number of years. Isn’t it just a single payment? If you put it on a credit card, you’ll still have that payment statement.
Miggles and seat38a like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Old May 7, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A note about cash at airports: there is a machine that converts cash to a card at EWR.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Almost all sites are listed under "no longer accept cash" - and there are no more city ticket offices - so cash which I thought was "legal tender" for payment in the US isn't for airline tickets - weird. further investigation led me to this:
The legal tender law is often misunderstood. As you've found, there is no (US) law requiring that cash be accepted for anything besides debts; if you find a way to owe United money, they'd be required to accept cash for it.

None of that helps you with getting UA to accept a check, however, as a check isn't legal tender anyway.

You may be able to find a travel agent who's willing to sell you a ticket via check, if the fees are worth it to you.
smc333 and AceReport like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm so tempted to ask...what is a check?
Old May 7, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Pretty much all business travelers need to track their air ticket purchases and retain those records for as long as 7 years (in the US). Many of those people will change credit cards at sometime during the time period and, even if they do not, the ability to track funds online is usually limited to far less than seven years.

If you could explain in a bit more detail what you require, you might get a bit more helpful information here.

Otherwise, you should simply either print your electronic statement or not consent to electronic delivery of your statements. You may then store those statements in whatever form you store your other records, e.g. in a paper file, as a PDF, or something else.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by estnet

Businesses aren't required to accept cash. They can go credit/debit/check only if they want to.

Legal tender simply refers to the ability of a merchant to refuse certain bills if they do accept cash payments. For example: a business cannot refuse your $20 bill but accept other forms of cash payment (such as $1 bills). And also, as another poster said, they're required to take cash if you owe them a debt.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I don't understand why a check payment would be easier to keep track of than a credit card payment.

If you'd like to pay using your checking account, Paypal is an option, as is any debit card.

But if you really want to use a paper check, your best option may be an old fashioned B&M travel agent.

Or AA will still take check payments "over the counter" at airports. https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...nt-options.jsp
Miggles likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by oopsz
I don't understand why a check payment would be easier to keep track of than a credit card payment.

If you'd like to pay using your checking account, Paypal is an option, as is any debit card.

But if you really want to use a paper check, your best option may be an old fashioned B&M travel agent.

Or AA will still take check payments "over the counter" at airports. https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...nt-options.jsp
I think the real question is: why does the OP need to pay with a check? All they have to do is print the receipt and the record of the transaction from the statement and file it for 8 years... Or save it on their desktop for an electronic version.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Pretty much all business travelers need to track their air ticket purchases and retain those records for as long as 7 years (in the US). Many of those people will change credit cards at sometime during the time period and, even if they do not, the ability to track funds online is usually limited to far less than seven years.

If you could explain in a bit more detail what you require, you might get a bit more helpful information here.

Otherwise, you should simply either print your electronic statement or not consent to electronic delivery of your statements. You may then store those statements in whatever form you store your other records, e.g. in a paper file, as a PDF, or something else.
Uhhh...what? I assume this would only be for self-employed or 1099 work. As a W-2 employee I certainly am not keeping records for 7 years on anything.
N104UA likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mtftw
Uhhh...what? I assume this would only be for self-employed or 1099 work. As a W-2 employee I certainly am not keeping records for 7 years on anything.
Uhh... This. One must be prepared to provide backup for tax purposes for 7 years. If you are an employee, it goes without saying that your air ticket expenses are not taxable events to you and thus don't matter. Your employer, which does deduct those air tickets as a business expense, keeps those records.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.