Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by petey2428
Between 9A/9L, is there a side that is better? I remember reading about how the door bangs on one side because the bathroom is accessible.

I'm considering picking 9A/9L on a daytime flight from Frankfurt to Chicago.... but I don't feel totally comfortable with that decision.
The door bang issue at 9A is on the 77W not on the 772, although it has not been that loud for me to continue choosing 9A.

The door bang issue on the 772 relates to the closet doors (see photo up thread) on both 9A and 9B. FA can be heavy handed when close those doors.

I am not a fan of 9A and 9L on the 772. The proximity to the bathroom, closet and galley bother me, especially the bathroom traffic.

Perhaps the daytime flight is better if you are awake, but I note passengers use the bathroom more often during daytime flight.

Others on this thread have expressed different views.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumje
Assuming it is later enough in the year that there is any chance of SFO-LHR running, 3DG is fine. I generally pick it over 5DG, actually, since meals arrive a little sooner; I could never notice a difference in foot traffic or privacy feeling between those two.
Agree with this. I've flown polaris with my wife a few times and 3DG>5DG
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The door bang issue at 9A is on the 77W not on the 772, although it has not been that loud for me to continue choosing 9A.

The door bang issue on the 772 relates to the closet doors (see photo up thread) on both 9A and 9B. FA can be heavy handed when close those doors.

I am not a fan of 9A and 9L on the 772. The proximity to the bathroom, closet and galley bother me, especially the bathroom traffic.

Perhaps the daytime flight is better if you are awake, but I note passengers use the bathroom more often during daytime flight.

Others on this thread have expressed different views.
What's your preferred seat on the 772? Row 15?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petey2428
What's your preferred seat on the 772? Row 15?
Any odd window seats are fine except for row 1 and row 9, IMHO. 1A is reserved for crew, and 1L is directly behind the galley and it is a hot spot for FA to socialized.

I do have a preference for row 15 because I primarily fly Polaris internationally. I feel less foot traffic in the last row because all the traffic is ahead of me, and I can monitor the bathroom traffic better. It is quiet because there is a divider between Premium Economy cabin and Polaris cabin.

The only drawback in row 15 or any window seats from 9 to 15 is the impaired outside view due to the engines on the wings.
Row 3 and Row 5 have better views
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I am planning travel way in advance for my grandparents, they are well-traveled and able bodied but get nervous with "short" connections. They would be flying FRA-IAD-XXX on UA933 with a 01h45min connection, to domestic on same ticket. Non-US citizens with ESTA. I know the connection is fairly easy since immigration, customs, bag claim and TSA are all done inside the transit facility of C/D and wait times were minimal when I last took UA933.

So my question is, which Polaris seats should I pick for them so they can make a quick exit. AFAIK, deplaning is via door 2L so I would pick from 6DG, 7DG, 8DG and 9DG. How easy is it to talk to your seatmate in the even number rows and are the odd number rows too "awkward" to sit in? Also, I presume the mini cabin is quieter so me personally I would go for 9DG, but I'll take any recommendations.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
So my question is, which Polaris seats should I pick for them so they can make a quick exit.
Of the seats you were considering, any would do. While well-intentioned, you may be overthinking this.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I am planning travel way in advance for my grandparents, they are well-traveled and able bodied but get nervous with "short" connections. They would be flying FRA-IAD-XXX on UA933 with a 01h45min connection, to domestic on same ticket. Non-US citizens with ESTA. I know the connection is fairly easy since immigration, customs, bag claim and TSA are all done inside the transit facility of C/D and wait times were minimal when I last took UA933.

So my question is, which Polaris seats should I pick for them so they can make a quick exit. AFAIK, deplaning is via door 2L so I would pick from 6DG, 7DG, 8DG and 9DG. How easy is it to talk to your seatmate in the even number rows and are the odd number rows too "awkward" to sit in? Also, I presume the mini cabin is quieter so me personally I would go for 9DG, but I'll take any recommendations.
I have booked for my aging parents, and I suggest 9DG. You will be able to speak to each other. Hard to communicate in the even number seats. 9DG will allow quick entry into seats and exit the plane. They don't need to go far to use the lavatories either.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Thank you both!

Originally Posted by 747FC
Of the seats you were considering, any would do. While well-intentioned, you may be overthinking this.
Given that they will fly HEL-FRA-IAD-ATL, I'd rather try to be extra careful so they don't end up spending the night at IAD. Yes, I realize it's quite overthinking and almost sounded like this thread but given that boredom sets in during this pandemic one starts to think about small details like this too.
Finnair Australia to Europe. citro's AY Travel Questions

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have booked for my aging parents, and I suggest 9DG. You will be able to speak to each other. Hard to communicate in the even number seats. 9DG will allow quick entry into seats and exit the plane. They don't need to go far to use the lavatories either.
9DG it is then, only drawback is the whole Y cabin walking thru, but given that they have 1h25min at FRA, by the time they reach the UA gate boarding is already underway.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Ditto on the thanks for info... was just looking at 9DG for our trip and was looking in this thread for feedback on that choice!
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:44 pm

How private are bulkhead seats in Polaris, 1D/1G?

Flying IAH - LHR next summer (hopefully) and am trying to decide the best seat for my wife and me. Sitting in Polaris thanks to 60k saver award space.

Would like the bulkhead for the extra space in footwell but unsure how private the seats will be. Specifically as I've seen some pictures showing the various help yourself wine station being set up on the "shelf" space above the IFE screens in row 1 d/g.

I thought all of that would be contained in the galley area where I've seen countless photos of all the snacks, drinks, etc set up. But if people are coming up to my seat to get a drink, that's going to be annoying to me.

First world problem, I know, but when I'm already playing with house money, why not attempt to have it all.

Maybe row 3 would be the better option?

Does anyone have experience with the 772 in polaris longhaul that can tell me one way of the other if anything will be placed in that space?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The angle out of the seats slices into the galley area and you're more likely to be looking into galley lights, etc. Use of the space in front was hit or miss.

Personally I would go with Row 3 (or 5), but I don't find any of the Polaris footwells to be an issue. My top seats on Polaris configs are 3-5 A/L.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The angle out of the seats slices into the galley area and you're more likely to be looking into galley lights, etc. Use of the space in front was hit or miss.

Personally I would go with Row 3 (or 5), but I don't find any of the Polaris footwells to be an issue. My top seats on Polaris configs are 3-5 A/L.
Thank you for your feedback! Rows 3/5 sound like good options as it will remove united's inconsistencies from the equation.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:15 am

Any downsides to 2L? That's the only (solo) window seat available, there are lots of seats available in the "middle 2" configuration ... but going to pass on them
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
The even row seats are angled in a way that make it seem like you have less space, and the space you have less accessible. And either your body or your legs feet are exposed out in the aisle depending on row/position. Especially an issue if you’re tall. But if I were traveling alone, I’d take an even row window vs any middle. But I search for odd/window!
malgudi likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with all points of the above.

The white marble-esque counter area for the seat is sort of behind your right shoulder in that seat, so to use it you have to contort a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.