Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Pilot base for Boeing 787-10 (under consideration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

Boeing 787-10 to have an EWR pilot base - sort of makes sense, Remember, the 77W was supposed to be mainly EWR-based until the it was decided that the 744 retirement was moved forward, I believe twice. Newark is bursting at the seams and could definitely use maybe two flight to Frankfurt and maybe just one to CDG, for example. And larger planes to LHR. Whether any of this happens remains to be seen but curious what others think....
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Saw where?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It would make sense to have one at EWR. It would also allow for EWR-JNB to maybe be a reality someday

Would be good to know where it came from, though...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
A EWR 787 pilot base is under consideration. If implemented, the target date in next spring.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Saw where?

That other airline website - there was a quote from a UA exec. Then it disappeared 10 minutes later.
tryathlete likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau
That other airline website - there was a quote from a UA exec. Then it disappeared 10 minutes later.
Andrew Nocella said the EWR Polaris club would be open in May, and that turned out to be untrue. Perhaps not worth putting too much stock into what UA execs say - trust in the press releases instead
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Andrew Nocella said the EWR Polaris club would be open in May, and that turned out to be untrue. Perhaps not worth putting too much stock into what UA execs say - trust in the press releases instead
Well the Polaris Lounge at EWR is opening in June, according to whether you believe UA press releases. So a month late which in annals of NYC/NJ interior contractor work is a bit of a yawn.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It would make sense to have one at EWR. It would also allow for EWR-JNB to maybe be a reality someday
787-10 can't make EWR-JNB nonstop.
milypan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell
Too bad. What’s the furthest it could go?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Too bad. What’s the furthest it could go?
Practically, with economic loads, about 6000 mi.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It’s not very exciting. It seems to be about the upper range of a replacement for the B757, though with more passengers. I can see why EWR (or ORD) makes sense for the B787-10.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It’s not very exciting. It seems to be about the upper range of a replacement for the B757, though with more passengers. I can see why EWR (or ORD) makes sense for the B787-10.
It is significantly further than the 757 flies. And it is even more significantly larger. The 787-10 is about replacing the 767-400 or 777-200 (non-ER) more than anything else.
Originally Posted by adambrau
Well the Polaris Lounge at EWR is opening in June, according to whether you believe UA press releases. So a month late which in annals of NYC/NJ interior contractor work is a bit of a yawn.
That's a month late after pushing how far from the original plan? Remember that the 2016 Polaris product launch had multiple lounges (including EWR) in 2017. It is very, very late. And it isn't a NYC construction problem.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:37 pm

I know. But having a Dreamliner base in EWR means a 789 route is theoretically possible. ^
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The United pilot agreement requires the company to issue a Notice of Proposed Decision Making ("NPDM") any time the company intends to make a decision on allocation of flying. The NPDM is an administrative process which gives ALPA the opportunity to review and comment on the company's proposal, based on the issues the company is trying to address. I haven't seen anything personally, but reportedly an NPDM was issued for the opening of a 787 domicile in Newark by Spring 2019, ostensibly for the forthcoming 787-10 fleet, and the closure of the LAX 777 domicile, which will be substantially replaced by additional 787 positions.

EWR 787 seems to be targeted primarily at Europe.

I wouldn't count that out just yet... let's see where we are by the end of May.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 29, 2018 at 7:07 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is significantly further than the 757 flies. And it is even more significantly larger. The 787-10 is about replacing the 767-400 or 777-200 (non-ER) more than anything else.

That's a month late after pushing how far from the original plan? Remember that the 2016 Polaris product launch had multiple lounges (including EWR) in 2017. It is very, very late. And it isn't a NYC construction problem.
OK well it's 2018 and we're all still here. Alive presumably. As *A partner Swiss shows at it's Terminal A/B concourse lounge in Zurich, they are in week 42 of upgrading it and they show a picture for each month of progress. The last picture shows an unfinished space and the only promise is late Spring 2018, which is June.

So ok, we've encountered these delays from over-optimistic initial projections from United. At a certain point we all have to move on and find closure from the disappointments and heart breaks in life. Or do we wish Polaris had never been launched?

Is United perfect? No.

Is Newark perfect? No.

I did say NYC/NJ contractors.

I started this thread about a rumored 787-10 pilot base which appeared on airliners.net and disappeared within 10 minutes - a direct quote from a UA Exec (title I don't remember) but something to do with fleet planning. Although unconfirmed, I thought the possibility of getting the 787-10 into Newark might be a development avgeeks might find positive.

It's a tough crowd.
tuolumne likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.