Wiki Posts
Search

NYC / Tahiti / New Zealand - Feb 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
NYC / Tahiti / New Zealand - Feb 2019

Hi all - a long time lurker, and a first time poster!

I am in the process of trying to plan my honeymoon and want to make sure I am making the most of my points in the process. I have been saving these UR points for forever and wanted to maximize for my wife and I to have a once in a lifetime experience.

The Points
350k Chase Ultimate Rewards (which I plan to transfer to United at 1:1)
50k United
No status on United
Am OK spending some out of pocket if needed

The Logistics
Would like use United Points to book 2 business class RT flights from NYC to New Zealand via Tahiti (stopping in Tahiti on the way to New Zealand)
I know the SFO - PPT flight exists now and would be fine getting creative with the routing if it makes sense to do so
Flexible on dates - would like to leave closer to the beginning of Feb if possible

Any suggestions on how you would book this itinerary via *A and ideally at the Saver Level? Tahiti would hopefully be a free stopover!

Let me know what you think and I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section - feel free to shift. Thank you again!!!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Premium cabin award space to Tahiti is likely to be extremely tight, as is space to NZ in general.

Free stopovers on award tickets were eliminated last year.

Last edited by mduell; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some threads to review

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...7-forward.html -- to get an idea on present awards rules

The older Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles? which discusses the difficulty of getting from Tahiti to NZ

The newer UA to fly SFO-PPT 787-8 starting October 30 2018. which is likely to be a popular destination initially

Best to avoid popular travel periods and be flexible on travel days -- fixed date itins will be problematic.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

honeymoonhelp Welcome to FT & congratulations on the upcoming marriage

Another thread today on getting USA PPT, albeit with Oneworld BA avios:- Avios redemption LAX-PPT

There are other threads on getting awards to PPT
Air NZ is know for not releasing award space. But at occasional times some appears a few weeks before a flight.

Getting 2 business class awards on the same flight is 3 times as hard as a single award.

PPT is one of the most difficult places to get to an a ffp award.

Chase UR thread Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timeline, etc (2017)

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand are (not from all airports to all airports)And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 29, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.