Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa availability with MileagePlus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa availability with MileagePlus

I am looking to book a Biz award to Europe (from the US East coast) for early June. I see Biz class availability on Lifemiles that wasn't showing on United or Aeroplan (but IS showing on expertflyer).

I haven't called any of the plans to attempt booking but any idea if this is more likely to be phantom availability, an error on both United/Aeroplan sites, or real difference in availability?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ECR12
I am looking to book a Biz award to Europe (from the US East coast) for early June. I see Biz class availability on Lifemiles that wasn't showing on United or Aeroplan (but IS showing on expertflyer).

I haven't called any of the plans to attempt booking but any idea if this is more likely to be phantom availability, an error on both United/Aeroplan sites, or real difference in availability?
If EF is showing you have a good chance of it being real, I recommend calling
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EF uses the LH Group inventory IIRC, not *A partners. And LifeMiles is known to have access to more space than other partners.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

This is helpful, thanks sbm12
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I've been seeing quite a bit of availability come up on AC and NH that isn't on LH, no idea what's going on. wondering if LH is tired of too many credit card miles from the US being spent? hehe
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
EF uses the LH Group inventory IIRC, not *A partners. And LifeMiles is known to have access to more space than other partners.
It's actually the opposite. EF notes: "The Lufthansa Award search shows partner award inventory. Availability to Miles & More members may be greater."

Came across the same situation and posted about it in the LH F thread. EF/NH/SQ all showed availability. UA and NH couldn't see it. No idea if it is deliberate blocking or a system error. It doesn't make sense because there are similar awards that are being shown.

In case anybody wants to follow along from home:
LH 452 (MUC-LAX) is available on 5/21/18 on EF and SQ, but not UA or AC.
Yet the same flight is available on the next day (5/22/18) on UA.

In the past, the potential work around was a long sell. But I finally got an agent to try to long sell (or so she claimed) on a separate flight (the unicorn LH F West coast TATL). She said she knew just what to do as she's done it for revenue flights, but when she tried, the system blocked her and gave an error message so in the end I wasn't successful. And of course the O is now gone.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jmanirish
It's actually the opposite. EF notes: "The Lufthansa Award search shows partner award inventory. Availability to Miles & More members may be greater."
It is LH point of sale though, right? It used to be.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is LH point of sale though, right? It used to be.
Not sure I understand what you mean. Point of sale in airfare is usually a location, not a carrier.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am having the same issue, EF and NH are showing availability on LH, but I can't find it on UA, has anyone had luck calling in?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N104UA
I am having the same issue, EF and NH are showing availability on LH, but I can't find it on UA, has anyone had luck calling in?
I called United and they did NOT have availability (which was being shown on ExpertFlyer and Avianca). I decided to use Avianca and had no problem booking online after transferring the Citi pts. I was hoping to use my United miles rather than redeem a transferable currency but the trip's only a month away and I wasn't seeing much else out there.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
No luck. Even had what sounded as a very knowledgeable agent try to circumvent the system - with no luck. Second time I saw LH 'O' open up, I transferred Amex points to SQ and sucked up the high taxes/fees. This was also >14 days out, so consistent with what the bloggers are reporting that LH F is available to *A partners further out, just not UA or AC.

I called United and they did NOT have availability (which was being shown on ExpertFlyer and Avianca). I decided to use Avianca and had no problem booking online after transferring the Citi pts. I was hoping to use my United miles rather than redeem a transferable currency but the trip's only a month away and I wasn't seeing much else out there.
I hear you. Sadly I didn't have any citi points to transfer to aviance, so SQ (and the related surcharges) was my only choice
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:27 pm

UA does not see LH availability?

For a bunch of XXX-FRA-JFK itineraries in August, LH awards in biz seem to be available via AC, NH, or SQ. None of them come up when searching via UA. Very annoying.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AustinPilot
For a bunch of XXX-FRA-JFK itineraries in August, LH awards in biz seem to be available via AC, NH, or SQ. None of them come up when searching via UA. Very annoying.
Did you search individual segments? If FRA-JFK has biz award available, call UA to get to book your trip.
Good luck.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Did you search individual segments? If FRA-JFK has biz award available, call UA to get to book your trip.
Good luck.
Individual segments, both XXX-FRA and FRA-JFK, are all available (in I) when I search AC, NH, or SQ. Neither segment shows on UA. UA offers some LH but only on complicated 2- and 3-stop itineraries with overnight layovers.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustinPilot
Individual segments, both XXX-FRA and FRA-JFK, are all available (in I) when I search AC, NH, or SQ. Neither segment shows on UA. UA offers some LH but only on complicated 2- and 3-stop itineraries with overnight layovers.
Call UA; this is the rare situation where they might be able to book something that doesn't work online. No promises, but it's worth a call.
SPN Lifer and N104UA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.