Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel with no status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Award travel with no status

I've been participating in United's bug bounty recently and given how easy it has been so far I imagine I will be doing a lot of award travel on United in the long-term. I am still getting used to United's award program, as I fly out of DTW and have never really had a reason to fly United.

One issue is that I cannot achieve any status at all via award travel. Is there a potential "workaround" here? Can I use some miles to make award travel suck less? Excluding doing first/business fares, which I certainly intend to.

Credit card suggestions are useful but my credit is too undeveloped for any of them at the moment.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Get the MP Explorer credit card for better economy saver availability.
rufflesinc and MSPpete like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedmiles
I've been participating in United's bug bounty recently and given how easy it has been so far I imagine I will be doing a lot of award travel on United in the long-term. I am still getting used to United's award program, as I fly out of DTW and have never really had a reason to fly United.

One issue is that I cannot achieve any status at all via award travel. Is there a potential "workaround" here? Can I use some miles to make award travel suck less? Excluding doing first/business fares, which I certainly intend to.

Credit card suggestions are useful but my credit is too undeveloped for any of them at the moment.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You won't be able to achieve status without paid flights. If you're flying in F or J, it won't matter as much, as you'll be treated about as well as a premier traveler. If you think you'll earn enough miles to fly everywhere you want to go in J or F anyway, I can't think of any status benefit worth paying for.

The one advantage of status in DTW specifically is that if you get Star Alliance Gold status -- requires 50K PQM and $6K PQD on UA -- you'd get access to the Lufthansa lounge before trips -- whenever it happens to be open. But since you can buy a United Club membership for under $600 -- or one-time passes on eBay for as little as $20 -- that seems like overkill. (If you're flying internationally in J/F, you'd get lounge access as part of the fare)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... One issue is that I cannot achieve any status at all via award travel. Is there a potential "workaround" here? Can I use some miles to make award travel suck less? ....
What particular benefits are you looking for? As others have mentioned, status will require paid travel or very significant pre-purchase cash outlay, however, many individual benefits can be had via other means and more modest cash investment. And some can be purchased with just miles
UC annual membership 70,000 miles
In flight wifi access
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You could buy economy fares and upgrade with miles (and 'co-pay'). This way you earn miles on your flights, but sit at the front.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You could buy economy fares and upgrade with miles (and 'co-pay'). This way you earn miles on your flights, but sit at the front.
You can do this, but the co-pay often makes it unprofitable.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Question: Will being an authorized user on the Mileageplus Explorer card give the OP BG2 and Premier access? Or is that for the cardholder only?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Question: Will being an authorized user on the Mileageplus Explorer card give the OP BG2 and Premier access? Or is that for the cardholder only?
Primary cardholder has to be traveling
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can do this, but the co-pay often makes it unprofitable.
I know; just offering another suggestion!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:01 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat

I fly out of DTW also usually Delta, have you looked in to Marriott status and the MP Credit Card?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I've been participating in United's bug bounty recently and given how easy it has been so far I imagine I will be doing a lot of award travel on United in the long-term.
Did you discover any high severity security bugs? Will you get to travel international?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:25 am

Can't you pay for UA tickets purchased on a UA Explorer card with UA Miles? It's 1 CPM, so a pretty bad redemption rate, but, on the other hand, if OP is earning > 1MM miles, he/she could nearly get to 1K that way.

Or use the PQD waiver at $25k spend plus some mileage runs put on the Explorer card to get to platinum.

Do award seats count as BIS for the million miler program? With enough award travel, OP could also qualify for status that way.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Did you discover any high severity security bugs? Will you get to travel international?
Given the OP's post, i believe it is yes to both questions (and in premium class) in case he didn't give that hint out enough
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mduell
Get the MP Explorer credit card for better economy saver availability.
Yup. Also group 2 boarding = spot for your carry-on. And pay the taxes with it for the Trip Delay protection for forced WX overnights.

I know people on this board complain about the CCs a lot (and maybe they're right), but if you travel on United in Y a lot and have no status, it's a no-brainer (and well worth the $95). With the exception of BG2, the benefits don't really erode any benefits for actual elites.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Presumably you received a boatload of miles from the bug bounty program, why not look for saver awards for first or business class? You'll get Premier Access, group 1 lane, 2 checked bags for free with priority tag, United Club access if traveling internationally, and guaranteed seating in first/business class without dealing with the upgrade lottery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.