Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kayak suggested the following routing to go JFK-LAX on UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kayak suggested the following routing to go JFK-LAX on UA.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You have not gone through immigration formalities, but you have still entered the country.
It is the "physically vs legally" entering a country. Most international airports like this that allow transit-without-immigration are cases where you enter physically before you (if you ever) enter legally.

OTOH, US Preclearance in Canada/other airports is a case where you exit a country legally before physically, and enter the US legally before physically.

The word legally here is used quite loosely as in the case of preclearance you are generally subject to all local laws even though you are legally "in the US" at that time.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by chermorg
The word legally here is used quite loosely as in the case of preclearance you are generally subject to all local laws even though you are legally "in the US" at that time.
Nothing "general" about it AFAIK. Clearance means the US found you and your belongings admissible. Preclearance just means the US made this finding in another country. You're still very much in that other country.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Would I have to go through immigration and Customs at Narita? Or would my bag be transferred directly to the flight to LAX?

Think fhis his is a suspicious enough routing to get SSSSelected?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adrouault
Would I have to go through immigration and Customs at Narita? Or would my bag be transferred directly to the flight to LAX?
If you could get them to check the bag through in the first place, it would go all the way through.

Originally Posted by adrouault
Think fhis his is a suspicious enough routing to get SSSSelected?
Possibly. You may also have an interesting conversation with CBP on the way back into the US.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Back in the early days of LifeMiles, you could fly routes like YYZ-FRA-DEN in Lufthansa First for the regular domestic three class First price of 35,000 miles.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
I once flew Tokyo --> LAX via Frankfurt so I could do two LH First Class long-hauls instead of one ANA First long haul (since it was gonna be the same # of miles either way).
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Some...
I have once read (on a blog? I can't remember where...) somebody going from LAX to JFK via Europe as domestic flights were full/cancelled because of a snow storm...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:04 am

I wonder if this would ticket. I don't think this would be allowed under cabotage rules, even if United is the plating carrier. UA isn't allowed to sell US to US via CN on AC flights with UA codeshare so why would NH via TYO?
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:43 am
formerly RZachSmith

Originally Posted by thibderoc
I have once read (on a blog? I can't remember where...) somebody going from LAX to JFK via Europe as domestic flights were full/cancelled because of a snow storm...
Yep...The Crazy Way I?m Re-Routing Due To New York Weather - One Mile at a Time

LAX-DUB-FRA-JFK
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airzim
I wonder if this would ticket. I don't think this would be allowed under cabotage rules, even if United is the plating carrier.
UA would need to operate one of the legs. NH-operated to NH-operated is cabotage, even with two UA codes. NH-operated to UA-operated is not.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA would need to operate one of the legs. NH-operated to NH-operated is cabotage, even with two UA codes. NH-operated to UA-operated is not.
I don't understand this. Isn't NH-operated just the same as any international mileage run?
For example, I can buy a ticket from Korean Air LAX-ICN-JFK with an immediate turnaround. Is this illegal?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbeckett
I don't understand this. Isn't NH-operated just the same as any international mileage run?
For example, I can buy a ticket from Korean Air LAX-ICN-JFK with an immediate turnaround. Is this illegal?
It's a gray area. Read at its most strict, the law would seem to require that either (a) there be a stopover in ICN or (b) two carriers be involved in the international legs. Asiana got fined for selling tickets from GUM-ICN-(mainland US), then got in trouble again for selling SPN-ICN-(mainland US) tickets.

I doubt anybody at the DOT would get too worked up over a 35-hour LA to NYC route though.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Some...
RZachSmith, thanks, that was it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.