Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New mobile.united.com site?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mmayer
Galaxy S7, Android 7.0, Chrome

www.united.com = Mobile optimized desktop site

mobile.united.com = same old crappy mobile site

FWIW, same behavior in the Samsung browser as well
That's it -- THANKS! n my Android phone I was using mobile.united.com -- going to www.united.com I get the new site.
mmayer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just wondering...why do people use the mobile site via iPhone/Android when the United app does basically everything (except change reservation (which opens a browser) and display expert mode information)?

The photo being shown on the home page above is now the photo that loads on the mobile app upon opening it. The mobile app on iPhone just updated today.

-RM
Because it's bloated, slows down/drains your phone and has no consideration for your privacy - it needs access to your location, phone, photos, identity, calendar and many others. There is no tracking what United does with your location history or phone call logs for example.

They have an app because they don't want to develop modern, responsive mobile website. There is not a single feature or functionality that cannot be replicated using web technologies. If they used camera and augmented reality for identification of planes or barometer data to predict weather or whatnot, it would make some sense. Right now the deal is - just let us vacuum your private data and bloat your phone for limited functionality.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by danielSuper
Because it's bloated, slows down/drains your phone and has no consideration for your privacy - it needs access to your location, phone, photos, identity, calendar and many others. There is no tracking what United does with your location history or phone call logs for example.

They have an app because they don't want to develop modern, responsive mobile website. There is not a single feature or functionality that cannot be replicated using web technologies. If they used camera and augmented reality for identification of planes or barometer data to predict weather or whatnot, it would make some sense. Right now the deal is - just let us vacuum your private data and bloat your phone for limited functionality.
On iOS at least it only asks for Location (set to "While Using" by default, and can be disabled) and Notifications by default. Will also ask for Calendar when you try and add a reservation to your calendar, and Camera when using the Passport/document scanning feature.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You do know most of that is completely false, right? Yes, UA may use your calendar, camera and location. But that's only if you let it. Just like most other modern apps, you can choose what the United app can and cannot access on your phone. For example, it cannot access my location or camera, ever!

I hardly see how the United app is bloated by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, I don't like how some of it functions (the "flight status" is still a pet peeve of mine) but it does what it needs to do.

For those who say they use the mobile website for changing itineraries, etc. then that makes complete sense. The app can't even do that yet and winds up opening a web browser to allow you to try and change your flights (and 99% of the time it has never worked for me).

I'm simply pointing out that you are not correct in stating UA uses all the data you suggested it does. You, as the user, has the option to allow United to use the data or not. Whether the app is bloated or not is a point of personal impression I believe.

-RM
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Now I get a nice front screen with the pretty mountains, etc, then I snaps back to the old front page.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You do know most of that is completely false, right? Yes, UA may use your calendar, camera and location. But that's only if you let it. Just like most other modern apps, you can choose what the United app can and cannot access on your phone. For example, it cannot access my location or camera, ever!

I hardly see how the United app is bloated by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, I don't like how some of it functions (the "flight status" is still a pet peeve of mine) but it does what it needs to do.

For those who say they use the mobile website for changing itineraries, etc. then that makes complete sense. The app can't even do that yet and winds up opening a web browser to allow you to try and change your flights (and 99% of the time it has never worked for me).

I'm simply pointing out that you are not correct in stating UA uses all the data you suggested it does. You, as the user, has the option to allow United to use the data or not. Whether the app is bloated or not is a point of personal impression I believe.

-RM
This is latest version of app on latest pure Android - https://i.imgur.com/fMNhmKR.png Can you point average user where he can disable the permissions?

You need to go 8 clicks deep to arcane menu, and even there it will warn you, quote "This app was designed for an older version of Android. Denying the permission may cause it to no longer function". And it will crash on certain actions as a result.

I assure you 99% of population has all this tracking enabled by default. And for what? It's 200MB unpacked HTTP wrapper with limited functions that runs in background, eating the battery and doing who knows what. If thats not bloated, than I don't know what is.

Hope that answers the question "why do people use webpage instead of an app"
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This is latest version of app on latest pure Android - https://i.imgur.com/fMNhmKR.png Can you point average user where he can disable the permissions?

You need to go 8 clicks deep to arcane menu, and even there it will warn you, quote "This app was designed for an older version of Android. Denying the permission may cause it to no longer function". And it will crash on certain actions as a result.

I assure you 99% of population has all this tracking enabled by default. And for what? It's 200MB unpacked HTTP wrapper with limited functions that runs in background, eating the battery and doing who knows what. If thats not bloated, than I don't know what is.

well, maybe that’s how Android handles prviacy, but anyone concerned about that would seem to do much better with an iPhone. All of those permissions are used enabled, and most importantly, are not turned on by default - in fact, not allowed from any app in the Apple App Store. Obviously, those who jailbreak their phones and using non-Apple approved apps are excluded. But in order to grant permission, the app displays a window the first time you ask for a function that uses said feature needing permission, with a pop up with ‘allow’ or ‘don’t allow’ - neither button is highlighted over the other and both are the same size. You can then choose to allow, which allows you to complete what you are doing or not allow, where you can’t finish what you’re doing that needs that permission. Much easier to do. But that’s the difference in Apple + Android and privacy.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
...well, maybe that’s how Android handles prviacy, ...
At installation you can deny those invasive permissions. But once you have enabled, it takes the more involved method to disable.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Now I get a nice front screen with the pretty mountains, etc, then I snaps back to the old front page.
I get the same...
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:55 pm

The full desktop site no longer works on my phone. when i try to book a flight the box is basically a big blue square w nothing in it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has the old mobile site gone away completely now? I can't find a way to access it any longer. First noticed consistent redirection to the new perhaps a couple weeks ago but didn't try to force.

edit add:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At installation you can deny those invasive permissions. But once you have enabled, it takes the more involved method to disable.
It is somewhat involved, but not terrible I think:
'Settings' > 'Apps & notifications' > 'See all __ apps' > 'United Airlines' > 'Permissions' > toggle each one off.
That's only six layers.

It would be good if there were an option to 'allow for 5 minutes' or the like. As you say, if you ever allow the app permission to something, you have to disable it manually again afterwards.

Last edited by fumje; Jun 21, 2018 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.