Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern Lights visible on UA routes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by seenitall
NRT-EWR generally flies pretty far south of Alaska to take advantage of the jet stream. You would need a flight that: (a) flies farther north; and (b) flies at night. Flights from EWR to Asia meet the first criterion, but most of the trip is in daylight. EWR to India could be a better bet. But you also need to sit on the north side of the plane, and the northern lights have to active on the day you fly. After multiple trips, I have yet to have seen them from a plane.
contrary to your handle, I guess you haven't "seenitall" :P
seenitall likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw them for about half an hour on the night departure TLV-EWR. I'm not sure with what regularity you get them, but yesterday's route looks like it might have had a chance.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:11 am

I can tell you that Star Alliance partner Air China has direct flights from PEK to JFK (CA981) that go far enough South to often get Northern Lights on the left side (facing North) while passing over Siberia. I have had this lucky situation 50% out of my flights. The return flight JFK - PEK travels through here during daylight hours and does not see them.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandablood
I can tell you that Star Alliance partner Air China has direct flights from PEK to JFK (CA981) that go far enough South to often get Northern Lights on the left side (facing North) while passing over Siberia. I have had this lucky situation 50% out of my flights. The return flight JFK - PEK travels through here during daylight hours and does not see them.
UA88 (PEK-EWR) takes a similar route but is timed slightly later, so I might be hopeful that it would get the lights, although I wouldn't be sure. I have only taken the other direction, though, and there were no lights visible obviously.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I saw the northern lights this past November flying BOS-HKG on CX. It was actually pretty bright.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by jtet
Well, then I guess you'll have to change your screen name!
You got me there.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Isn't it on every flight where the safety video is played?

snowed and StuckinITH like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I've only been lucky enough to see Northern lights over the US-Canada border on a transcon. They were only visible from the flight deck, there was too much light in the cabin to see them. Sometime in February '18, if memory serves. According to that flight crew, it happened quite a bit around that time, but there was hardly anything visible from the cabin usually.

As far as routes to look for them on, I've heard EWR-TLV (or the other direction? I forget) quite often, and SFO-LHR on occasion.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:02 am

How about seeing the Chinese space station that's falling? Its current trajectory is always between 42 deg south and 42 deg north, at about 95 miles high now and falling fast. It's tumbling so should appear like a fast moving blinking object, going around the world about 88 minutes per pass. Commercial airlines routinely fly about 7 miles high. Polar routes may be a bit too far north to see it, but once it gets fiery this weekend...
Heavens-Above

Northern lights can be low. I have friends who've seen them from above while flying polar routes.
Here's for current forecast:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/a...inute-forecast
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:19 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I would somewhat hope *not* to see the northern lights while flying!

A couple of chest x-rays worth of exposure per flight through northern lights, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.