Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA "Visit London" promotion at NY Penn Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

UA has a display at NY Penn Station promoting travel to London and the Heathrow Express. There's also a kiosk where you can register for 2 tickets to London.

Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've never seen shinier brass outside of a music store.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Was this put together by one of their "presidents"?
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The full-time UA agent there, Diane, rocks. It's the only domestic city sales office left.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Perhaps the president is playing one of those brass instruments?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
for those puzzling over this comment
UA add NYC & California president role
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's the only domestic city sales office left.
Actually no, there's a UA ticket office in HNL at Ala Moana Center.
wxguy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
If only they flew NY-LHR nonstop. Still, an impressive display.

and I will be sure to walk by the CTO in HNL next time I am there.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
If only they flew NY-LHR nonstop. Still, an impressive display.
Drink the Koolaid and believe it, UA clearly thinks it does why else would they label it Newark/New York
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I tried entering the web site address showing on the kiosk photo (unitedpennstationsweepstakes.com) into a browser on my computer to see if you could register for the promotion without actually going to the kiosk. It just took me to the web site for their marketing partner.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
The Kiosk has been there for a few years now, The display rotates every three to six weeks. They just came off of three weeks of promoting the NYC half-marathon that UA is sponsoring, and before that UA promoted their Olympic sponsorship for three weeks. The prizes available for the drawings change with the promotions and display, and do not always include airfare. They also usually give away some little UA branded items. At times, the prizes and promotions give way to six weeks of Pre-check or Global Entry sign-ups.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
What does the real estate (exorbitant rent) cost for this location ?.......I will never understand UAL dumbing and cheapening everything else down yet they will maintain an expensive ticket office (and salaries) at Penn Station NYC. Who goes in there, people who want to change seat assignments ? Everyone does everything on line. As well, dozens of former "Continental" city ticket offices worldwide (especially Central America). Ridiculous and expensive at the expense of employees who should be getting comparable bonuses that other airlines are giving their employees.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
What does the real estate (exorbitant rent) cost for this location ?.......I will never understand UAL dumbing and cheapening everything else down yet they will maintain an expensive ticket office (and salaries) at Penn Station NYC. Who goes in there, people who want to change seat assignments ? Everyone does everything on line. As well, dozens of former "Continental" city ticket offices worldwide (especially Central America). Ridiculous and expensive at the expense of employees who should be getting comparable bonuses that other airlines are giving their employees.
I'd have to think they're locked into long term leases on this space, and thus have to minimally staff them. I'm assuming that there is no more than one person on duty, except when there is some kind of promotion like the London brass band.

What happens when the lone agent in Penn Station has to go pipi?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps the president is playing one of those brass instruments?
I'm pretty sure that isn't Clinton playing the sax.
Dublin_rfk and PVDProf like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
I highly doubt these costs are in any way significant to the bottom line of a company of United's size with over 36 billion $ annual revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.