Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another day, another dog {misshipped}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Dogs and United, Dogs and United
Don’t Go Together Like A Horse And Carriage....
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
What was the name of that airline specializing in transporting dogs ? Greyhound ?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
This never happened with Ted. Woof! Er, I mean RAR!
SFO 1K and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
This airline is really going to the dogs.
Hey that's my line! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29524763-post30.html
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
This never happened with Ted. Woof! Er, I mean RAR!
RAR. I wonder if Easy Chicken would have any comments.
SFO 1K and Mike Jacoubowsky like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I presume, this was not a mainline aircraft, but a United Express "poodle jumper."
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder who made them decision to divert.
Somebody must have barked the order.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder who made them decision to divert.
Had this not been the third dog debacle this week I doubt they wouldn't have diverted. My guess is someone high up made the call to try and avoid another PR CF though not sure this was the right call, many human passengers were no doubt inconvenience (some may have missed connections, meetings, etc) for this "save" which was really only a few hundred miles...seems putting the pooch in a van and driving it to the owners house would have been a better solution. I have to imagine that whomever is the top dog at the Pet Safe division is busy dusting off their resume at this point...
MSPeconomist and wxman22 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryan182
Had this not been the third dog debacle this week I doubt they wouldn't have diverted. My guess is someone high up made the call to try and avoid another PR CF though not sure this was the right call, many human passengers were no doubt inconvenience (some may have missed connections, meetings, etc) for this "save" which was really only a few hundred miles...seems putting the pooch in a van and driving it to the owners house would have been a better solution. I have to imagine that whomever is the top dog at the Pet Safe division is busy dusting off their resume at this point...
The PetSafe Head has screwed the pooch and needs to look for opportunities in a different field.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A diversion to avoid <500 mi of flying is a high price to pay for a misloaded dog. I think UA PR is overreacting.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:38 pm

United management might need a reminder that this is a dog eat dog world.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Yip - it's ruff to be United.

David
I actually was writing an email to someone I know at United and I started it with "Rough week." And, for some reason, said it it out loud to myself. Probably because I am drugged up on cold meds. Then realized rough=ruff and started giggling.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....though not sure this was the right call, many human passengers were no doubt inconvenience (some may have missed connections, meetings, etc) for this "save" which was really only a few hundred miles.....
It was pretty much a straight line diversion and doubtful many EWR-STL flyers were making connections in STL -- for UA you could only go to another hub, so why connect in STL? And Doubt STL is a valid connection point for UA routings.
Did arrive 2 hours late, 6:50 PM vs 4:45 PM, some late dinners.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course not.....the diversion was just for show. Some big dog at UA decided to spend a boatload of money to inconvenience a planeload of human customers for a dog that probably didn't know the difference. However, the PR probably looks good until you think about it for a few seconds.

I'm imagining a business person on the flight apologizing for a missed dinner meeting by saying that it was some dog's fault, sort of like the dog ate my homework. It could have also been interesting to hear the inflight announcements about the diversion and its reason. This adds a new dimension to airline operational unreliability, although UA probably blamed ATC as they would have needed to get ATC permission to divert and land.

OTOH, it probably cost more to dispatch the private jet to Japan to retrieve the dog that was sent there by mistake, although that might have been a relatively unpublicized two for one deal if the dog that should have been sent to Japan got to ride in the private jet on its outbound positioning flight.

wxman22 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Should I make an effort to avoid any flights this week where expert mode says there's K 9 availability?
iluv2fly and bhunt like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.