Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Choose That Seat?!! {seat next to me but empty cabin}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond

I booked a UA flight a while back, and when I chose my seat (1A), I was the only one in F. On checking it just then, I see this...

Why on earth would you choose the one seat that has someone next to you?!?!!!!!

If you want bulkhead aisle, why not 1E? Is there something about 1B on the UA 737-900s that makes it particularly attractive?

And no, I'm not moving... :P
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
How far out is the flight? Could it be a FAM? Do they take 1B or 2B?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sol95
I booked a UA flight a while back, and when I chose my seat (1A), I was the only one in F. On checking it just then, I see this...

And no, I'm not moving... :P
Presumably for the same reason you chose 1A? Although apparently you'll get a chance to ask in person.

If you want a bulkhead aisle seat, it's either 1B or 1E, right? It's a short-haul UA flight; presumably you know the flight's going to fill. May as well sit next to the person that you can 100% guarantee won't ask you to switch so they can sit with their companion. And that's assuming that there's not some comfort difference between 1B and 1E. (I'm a window, non-bulkhead guy -- at least, on short-hauls -- so I don't know.

Either that, or they didn't select a seat and the computer just assigned them 1B.

Or, they like getting bumped to coach for "operational reasons."

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What difference does it make?

99% chance F will go out with every seat filled. if you prefer 1B, then better to pick that now than pick 1E and end up with someone next to you anyway...

(the other option is that it's blocked and not actually picked up a person, or auto-assigned, or FAM, or ...)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Maybe they like the cutout
TerryK and sgfood like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:47 pm

I prefer the aisle on my right due to the way i usually lean
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Or perhaps the seat was "auto-assigned" by UA when some purchased/bought-up/upgraded into a premium cabin.

Lately, UA has been assigning bulkhead aisle seats to me unless I am buying a premium cabin seat right from the start and can pick the seat during the purchase process. When that happens, I just go in later and pick the seat I want.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Or perhaps the seat was "auto-assigned" by UA when some purchased/bought-up/upgraded into a premium cabin.

Lately, UA has been assigning bulkhead aisle seats to me unless I am buying a premium cabin seat right from the start and can pick the seat during the purchase process. When that happens, I just go in later and pick the seat I want.
Or auto assigned by a Corporate TA. They always give me the worst seats and I have to change them myself.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I took it because we never got a chance to finish that political debate from the last flight.
FlyingNone, fastair, nnn and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I took it because we never got a chance to finish that political debate from the last flight.
I fear we may have the answer. It was obviously booked by someone who enjoys a good conversation and who chose to seat to be sure to be next to someone. I'd be sure to pack those Bose headphones and hope for the best.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As I recall, 1B has more legroom than 1E.
TerryK and sgfood like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Weight and balance. There will be a mis-routed German Shepherd and his handlers occupying rows 37-38 D-F, so they need to stack up pax in front cabin A-C. Beware, the guy in 1B is probably going to be very very heavy as a result.
getagb likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jp12687
I prefer the aisle on my right due to the way i usually lean
I knew I wasn't the only one! My mom always takes a particular side aisle b/c of a bum knee (can't remember which). Not that it's the case here but it's especially important to me with layflats since I can only lay on my right side or back, and I don't want to feel claustrophobic facing the seat shell.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:37 pm

Wanted to be sure they weren't going to have to sit next to an upgrader or non-rev...
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Because they're Number 1!!! (B)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.