Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
How can anyone not realize that putting the dog in an overhead bin might kill it? All it takes is a minimal IQ and some tiny amount of compassion. This is all over the media and will hurt UA badly. Remedial action is needed and if all you can do is to berate the dog's owner, you should take a long look in the mirror,.
spin88 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:51 am

This story seems to line up perfectly with the attitude I've come to expect of most UA FAs. I'm a sample size of one, but FAs on Delta and AA always seem far nicer and perhaps even happy to work for their employer.

With so many of these stories about FAs making poor decisions I have to think there's a systemic issue at United.
spin88 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by euslaner
How can anyone not realize that putting the dog in an overhead bin might kill it? All it takes is a minimal IQ and some tiny amount of compassion. This is all over the media and will hurt UA badly. Remedial action is needed and if all you can do is to berate the dog's owner, you should take a long look in the mirror,.
For someone, like myself, who doesn't travel a lot even getting on a plane can be stressful. Add a baby and a dog into the mix I can completely understand where logic may be replaced with poor judgement when an agitated FA is barking at you and the line is piling up behind you. Besides the FA. is in control and the assumption is she ( or he) knows what the f^ck they are doing. Have some compassion here. UA has a lot of explaining to do. I just read that of the 24 recorded pet deaths last year on a plane.....18 of them were with United!!
spin88 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
CNBC talking about this and replaying clips of the Dao incident. UA is only ever going to get back customers if they spend money on them at this point...certainly doesn’t seem like something Kirby is willing to do.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
CNBC talking about this and replaying clips of the Dao incident. UA is only ever going to get back customers if they spend money on them at this point...certainly doesn’t seem like something Kirby is willing to do.
Not even close. Customer experience is low on the list for Kirby, and more cuts are coming.

Karma?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
This story seems to line up perfectly with the attitude I've come to expect of most UA FAs. I'm a sample size of one, but FAs on Delta and AA always seem far nicer and perhaps even happy to work for their employer.

With so many of these stories about FAs making poor decisions I have to think there's a systemic issue at United.

There is no excuse for what happened here and as a dog owner and fairly frequent UA traveler I have never in my time seen a dog in a dog carrier put into the overhead bins. The employee should be fired and I hope United writes a large cheque to the devastated owners which no matter how large will never adequately cover pain and loss. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN and it is a big black mark on UA's name that will be remembered for a long time. Just as the images of Dr. Dao being dragged off a UX plane in Chicago last year are starting to fade, it is very upsetting to hear the initial reports. As a dog owner myself (who stopped flying pets after a sub-par experience on TWA) I am truly shocked. Nothing will replace the deceased pet for this family, and this story is already viral, so hopefully UA public relations will fess up to a huge mistake being committed, and management to green light a little more on the employee training budget than worrying about their quarterly EPS numbers for the next year.

Having said the above, and perhaps because I only fly United (versus never Delta or American so I can't make a fair comparison), I find front line employees to be very professional and very friendly. Of course I encounter indifference from time to time but overall, in my experience, I don't see systemic poor service by the frontline on United. Overwhelmingly I find the vast majority of UA folks I come across to be professional, doing their best, and in a friendly manner.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by travelindandy
The husband (who was not flying) says they paid for the animal: https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemc...0w#.edYzB4G1vN

Just to add my 2 cents...Look, I agree with many on here who say its a combination of unfortunate events that led to this. I agree that FAs are super stressed out and have to deal with selfish idiots on every flight. I'm sure, as well, that the lady did say it was a dog in there. It was probably one giant cluster of miscommunication (and since I'm Hispanic I feel free to say this...you don't know if there were any language/accent issues in the communication. The family is clearly Hispanic. Just saying it could have contributed is all.) I do wonder about these things though:
  1. For everyone who says this woman was "overwhelmed" with traveling the baby, etc...the reports say she was flying after visiting her husband, which makes it sound like she was returning home. So...hadn't she already flown with this dog on the way from NYC to Houston? Wouldn't she know what to do? She had ALREADY flown with a baby, young child, and dog at least once. Its not like this was her first flight, so I don't really buy the "overwhelmed" argument.
  2. As someone who flies with my toddler frequently, I'm well aware how the boarding process usually works. She's traveling with a baby so she was more than likely preboarded (especially since she has that huge stroller...which is VERY conspicuously missing a gate-check tag...if that wasn't gate-checked its tells me something else about the passenger). She should have had MORE than enough time to settle in and get things squared away. Unless their row mate was the next person on, they should've had more than enough time to get the dog situated properly as they must've on their PREVIOUS flight.
  3. Ms. Gremminger (who really seems to be more than willing to become the center of attention here) says there was a bit of back-and-forth with the FA finally convincing the passenger to place the dog overhead. Which makes me wonder...did the FA who gave this order not mention it to any of the other FAs? Even in the "there's some crazy ... lady in 23C who fought with me about her dog" sense? If the dog is paid for and on a manifest, if the dog is barking (even for only a short time), if the FA had such an encounter where they "wearily" pleaded with passenger to move their dog...you're telling me none of the other FAs knew about this? That the dog never barked once during the safety demo (after all, the dog was supposedly barking up until crusing altitude)??? That the dog NOR passenger NOR passenger's daughter made no sound, no comment to the OTHER FA's who were helping with drink service as they sloooowly moved along. I feel like all of that is somewhat unlikely when taken all together and then I feel like I'm being asked to believe a conspiracy theory. I can't believe another FA didn't know and I can't believe they wouldn't have done anything.
  4. Lastly, look, I've traveled with my child alone, when they were 9 months, 15 months, and 2.5 years. I know what its like to sit there with a baby in-lap on a terribly uncomfortable flight. I just cannot believe she was so preoccupied with the infant (even if she was breastfeeding) that that was the reason she didnt' follow up with the dog. If turbulence was the issue, she could've called for a FA and asked if THEY could check on the dog. Makes me wonder, that's all.
In the end, I believe the FA probably did talk to this lady and didn't HEAR one thing she said. The FA was probably on auto-pilot and just repeating what she had been saying thousands of times all day. The passenger, for whatever reason, probably did not explain herself well enough or took a tone that the FA just blocked out. Then the dog died very early into the flight...and here we are.
--------------------
Thank you. You have managed to sum it up perfectly. I'll ask it again......why didn't any of those "horrified" passengers nearby - the ones who reacted only on Facebook and Instagram after the fact - do anything about this while on the flight for 3+ hours ? Where was their outrage (or compassion) before, during and after that dog was put in the bin - by the passenger !!? Who puts their dog in a bin and doesn't remove it or check on it ?? Seriously, the passenger is truly at fault. Animal cruelty.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by roadkit
So what should happen is the FA union should insist this FA be fired immediately. Not tomorrow, today. Instead of protecting morons like this FA, the union should try to clean its own ranks of these types of people.

And of course, the next time I fly UA, if there is a problem, I won't be looking to the FAs for guidance. I know I'm on my own. A flight attendant who is so stupid they can't remember something simple like "Don't put a pet in the overhead" can't be trusted to do things right "for our safety" when there is an emergency.
------------
Why would you assume that ? No FA would be "so stupid" as to risk their job and command such a ridiculous order (IF THEY EVEN KNEW OR SAW THERE WAS A DOG IN THE CARRYON). Secondly, why is everyone just absolving the passenger from any responsibility ? - WHY DIDN'T THE PASSENGER REMOVE HER DOG IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FA WALKED AWAY ? - She (and other passengers) had no concern or curiosity how the dog was doing for 3+ hours ??? Then the Facebook and Instagram "witnesses" are suddenly outraged after the fact ? What were they thinking during all of this ? Get your perspectives in order instead of just assuming it's all on United or one of their flight attendants and "poor training". People are responsible for their children, their pets, their own lives and if they witness something wrong, should be stepping up to help or get help. This whole story is more about uncaring observers who did nothing.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:22 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I've been IaH based for 8 years now and what I'm going to say may hurt some feelings but so be it.
PmCO FAs are very opinionated and have that southern mentality. They boss passengers around. I'm a nice guy so most of them liked me but I could see the dragon side of them being hidden ready to pop.
i don't k ow who the FA was but most likely a person who would force a passenger to do that is a pmCO.
United needs to fix this attitude quick. 😡
Ive been based in IAH for 9 and haven’t noticed that specifically w/r/t pmCO FAs. Had mostly great FAs and a few grumps across the spectrum.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by euslaner
-----------
.."anyone".....Right - and that would include the dog's owner and all the outraged witnesses around her.....the same people who were so quick to jump on Facebook and Instagram after the fact but did NOTHING while all this enfolded for 3+ hours = those "anyone". So they became outraged, concerned and suddenly compassionate AFTER the flight ?
Xyzzy, coloneltigh and Oxnardjan like this.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Mar 15, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Is there anyway to fact check the statement from the Husband that passengers were not allowed to get up for a 3 1/2 he flight for turbulence according to his wife.

I find that highly unlikely.

But in the end there were mistakes on both sides. imo. Miscommunications.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:21 am

UAL is a buy today!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
--------------------
Thank you. You have managed to sum it up perfectly. I'll ask it again......why didn't any of those "horrified" passengers nearby - the ones who reacted only on Facebook and Instagram after the fact - do anything about this while on the flight for 3+ hours ? Where was their outrage (or compassion) before, during and after that dog was put in the bin - by the passenger !!? Who puts their dog in a bin and doesn't remove it or check on it ?? Seriously, the passenger is truly at fault. Animal cruelty.
This is the real question, isn't it? So many commenters on-line have jumped to this "well, if the FA says it of course the passengers believe it"-argument. Or the "If they say something they'll be dragged off the flight"-argument. I'm sorry, I can't believe that the passengers who have taken to the media and seem so eager to be in the spotlight now were "intimidated" by a flight attendant. Younger people, like the ones who take to SnapChat and Instagram to "out" these kinds of things, are usually not afraid of a confrontation.

The one plausible explanation for the dog owner's inaction, to me, is that they were afraid of calling attention to themselves or having a confrontation. The other passengers, I don't know what they're excuse is.

And to be clear, I'm not absolving the FA of wrong-doing...but no situation like this is black-and-white and I find it ridiculous people are calling for the FA to lose their job over what could be a tragic case of an honest mistake.
FlyingNone and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by travelindandy
This is the real question, isn't it? So many commenters on-line have jumped to this "well, if the FA says it of course the passengers believe it"-argument. Or the "If they say something they'll be dragged off the flight"-argument. I'm sorry, I can't believe that the passengers who have taken to the media and seem so eager to be in the spotlight now were "intimidated" by a flight attendant. Younger people, like the ones who take to SnapChat and Instagram to "out" these kinds of things, are usually not afraid of a confrontation.
How is this an issue with the passengers? If I'm a customer, I'm not responsible for the well being of my fellow passengers. This is 100% on United.

The idea that blame for a FA making the wrong decision is trying to be shifted to customers is absurd. Any company who starts blaming customers for mistakes they make is destined to fail. Thankfully United is smarter than a lot of people on here and is taking full responsibility.
spin88 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by WorldLux
If I start the engine in a closed garage that's connected to the rest of the house, I will eventually die even though the garage is not airtight while people in the rest of the house will be fine. A dog in an overhead locker will eventually use up all the oxygen available and there's not enough air circulation to provide fresh air.
In your suicide example the person would asphyxiate from the presence of CO; that has nothing to do with lack of oxygen and, as almost all metaphors on FT, is completely irrelevant. Moral of the story, don't start a car in the closed overhead bins?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:35 pm Reason: discuss the issue ;not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.