Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 665 over sold by 50. IAH - EWR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Absolutely you get PQD (assuming the ticket is eligible for PQD)- it is exactly the same as any other payment method. It can only be used for the person on the voucher though. You can't buy you and your SO each a $3500rt ticket to XXX.
Nice...do 2 of those a year to get your 1K spend, then get the rest if your PQM's on other *A carriers. Or make sure to spend it on a high fare category toward GS spend.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
See, what would I do with a $7500 voucher? I presume they have the same stipulations attached that my small fry ones did, use within a year (though I ended up getting mine extended by a year for free, didn't even really have to ask as I recall, then I bought flights, cancelled them for totally different reasons, and got extended almost another entire year...to the point I just wanna fly em so I can delete the damn pics off my computer lol) and on ONLY UA operated itineraries from the UA site. I like how easy they are to use, tech-wise, but like I'd really have to force a trip to ever use any kind of big value. I'm not gonna burn like $5000+ on a domestic F itinerary, I can't use it to fly to BKK, cuz that last flight will always be NH/whoever, can't fly to HEL/MOW cuz those will be connections. So like you really have to force a trip to a UA destination, which might be fine, but it also means you gotta use it on UA flights that might not appeal. If you wanted to go to SIN, you'd have to buy a ticket on the 787 with the non-polaris biz, as opposed to flying via NRT (or is it HKG?) on the 77W.

100% I would still take one, they'd never get near 5000 with me around, I'd jump. Maybe I've missed out on lots of these, as I don't usually hang around the gate early, but whenever they ask for volunteers at check-in, I say yes, and only recently did I ALMOST get to take a bump on a BOG-IAH flight...they ended up not needing me, which sucked.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
That is one thing I am not sure of....

Can they be used on JV tickets? NH or LH bought off of UA.com? I think the part for vouchers and stuff is grayed out for those tickets. It has to be 100% UA metal. I could be wrong, I am not totally sure
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by tvhead
For $7K, I would reschedule a wedding or a funeral.
I'd like to pay you $7k to reschedule my funeral for me
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Can they be used on JV tickets? NH or LH bought off of UA.com? I think the part for vouchers and stuff is grayed out for those tickets. It has to be 100% UA metal. I could be wrong, I am not totally sure
No. The terms and conditions limit the vouchers to United and United Express operated flights. Unfortunate, because United relies on its partners so much to get to places where it doesn’t fly.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by PSPAirliner

what alternate flight/s were offered to you? Rebook next day, other routing or put on *A?

thanks!
Fly next day through NRT in F or direct in coach— but both were next day and couldn’t be made to work with my shipping schedule from china.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

yes, they can be used on JV flights, but only indirectly. Check the corresponding thread.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
It's odd they would be offering VDB and then going out with empty seats. If I had to guess I'd say the big money would have been for F only - a reduction of 12 seats is a lot! The 'empty' F seat could have been in inop, which would have only made the situation worse.
In 2011 or so I was trying to get standby on an IAH-SFO flight that, when I arrived at the gate, had just been downgraded from a 767 to a 757 (IIRC, definitely wide->narrowbody). The flight number had changed to a 2xxx also, so everyone needed a new boarding pass. The three GAs were like fast-paced wizards, they had everyone line up and processed them one by one at a frantic pace. Everyone was offered $300 ETC to change to a later flight -- or in many cases, if SFO wasn't final destination, to a flight connecting through a different city, or even a direct fight on UA or OAL. Those who wanted to stay on the flight were given a new boarding pass and told they still might be VDB/IDBed if enough people didn't change for $300. A bunch of people in F were super-pissed but ultimately there were fewer F seats than tickets so they either had to take a downgrade or a later flight, no amount of yelling at the GA would create more F seats. Most of the Y pax seemed pretty happy to take their boarding pass or $300 on a later flight.

Boarding was happening simultaneously (they had augmented GA team, including a supervisor) and by the time the dust settled, the flight was 45m late and had 3 empty Y seats. They cleared 3 standbys, though unfortunately I was not one of them. I think clearing the standbys was probably easier/faster than trying to rank / page / rebook / revoke compensation from a bunch of folks they had just rebooked on other flights and had mostly wandered off.

(Meanwhile, somewhere on Flyertalk there is probably a thread entitled "I was VDBed so NRSA could fly!")
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
yes, they can be used on JV flights, but only indirectly. Check the corresponding thread.
I tried several search strings and couldn't find the referenced thread. Can you please post it or PM me? I think I may know what you are getting at.

I've tried quite a few times using them flights that require a connecting UA codeshare on NH (connection in NRT to places where UA used to fly, BKK, MNL, etc.) and it's so far been impossible. It pains me that this isn't directly allowed as it makes eCerts much harder for me to use. I makes the OP's situation a lot less desirable to a passenger like myself. Sure for $7k I'd alter my itinerary to use UA direct to/from an alternate city, lol... but not going to take a VDB for a few hundred dollar eCert for sure.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Careful: person taking your offer might move it earlier (!)

Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Last time I was in situation like that at BWI, 737-800 down to a -700 if I recall, they cancelled the flight, and made a new flight on the -700 and manually rebooked everyone. I would assume no one got compensation. Needless to say, took a huge delay. I ended up arranging to get transported to Dulles and arrived at my final destination before my original itinerary would have. Would have loved a ridiculous $7000 voucher though! Best I've gotten is a measly $700 for VDB on EWR-BWI.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Originally Posted by cfischer
I tried several search strings and couldn't find the referenced thread.
See wiki of UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by s0ssos
hmmm, earlier or later.........
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:41 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
A $7K etc could go a long way!
It's been a while since I've seen a 'do you want to volunteer option' pop up when checking in on the kiosks.
Do you still need to stick around the gate or are they doing stuff in the app now?
btw, how does status come into play with these VDB? Do they try to bump off the non-elites or do elites get preference if multiple people volunteer?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by drvannostren
See, what would I do with a $7500 voucher?
Well, what about cash? About a year and a half ago I was on an LX RJ100 service from MUC to ZRH, which was oversold by 27 pax (at a capacity of 92 pax). They offered EUR 250/pax, which nobody accepted. Then they started INVOL offloading, according to EU rules also leading to compensation. They offered vouchers. So far as usual (LX is notorious for overbooking).

But this time the unlucky ones insisted to see cash. Immediately. LX argued no cash available and then the pax called police, The police officers insisted on cash and the Captain had to use his corporate credit card to withdraw cash from an ATM. (Obviously, us, the lucky ones getting the seats, got unlucky by now, because this delayed the 45 min flight by almost 2 hours ...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.