Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bhunt
Getting to the point at some airports First Class/business security line quicker then precheck.
Not for those of us who refuse the nude-o-scope treatment.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does not impact me when I am in BG1 so I am fine with that business decision.
The lack of empathy on FT is amazing.

Originally Posted by windhund
I do think UA should give those who spend more better boarding priority.
Welcome to our latest game show, Bidding for Boarding!

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TCD
I don't really see the point of group 3. It always seems tiny compared with group 2 and 4 anyway
I realize everyone here is Group Onesers and Twosers, but has anyone ever figured out what causes one to wind up Group Three? I'd love to be able to figure out how to get in there more often.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by gglave
My grumble is that purchasing E+ doesn't bump one up in the queue. I just plunked down $80 USD for an E+ seat YVR-IAH and I'm still going to have to board in Group 11. Even more annoying when you consider that the E+ seats are all full of Group 1 and 2 pax, so bins will be full - So I'll need to head down to row 68 to stash my bag, then swim up against the flow all the way back to seat 20 to sit down. Then repeat the process when I deplane.

Bottom line? Buying E+ should also buy you Group 2.
Agree - this is something Delta and American already do.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

The lack of empathy on FT is amazing.
Please do not quote me out of context. My original comment was a statement about UA being a business and they are there to make money for the shareholders. This business (UA) decision does not adversely impact me. If it did I would then look at my options.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gglave
has anyone ever figured out what causes one to wind up Group Three?
Groups 3-5 are Window, Middle, Aisle.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Please do not quote me out of context. My original comment was a statement about UA being a business and they are there to make money for the shareholders. This business (UA) decision does not adversely impact me. If it did I would then look at my options.
That's completely in context, as you have just reaffirmed. You don't care because it doesn't affect you personally. Everyone else be damned.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by caburrito
What AA says will happen at the gate vs what actually happens at the gate can often be very very different. "Now boarding group 1. Now boarding groups 2-4."
That depends of course on the gate agent. In MSP, they went through the list correctly, and it greatly irritated a lady in Group 4 who had already been camping the priority line. "They usually go quicker!" she says to the person next to her; then as I walked past in First, she told me "Uh they're only boarding First right now". I merely responded "I know" and kept boarding.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
That's completely in context, as you have just reaffirmed. You don't care because it doesn't affect you personally. Everyone else be damned.
Not to get into semantics, but no my comment is that if I were adversely impacted I would like at my options. UA is a business which makes business decisions in the interest of their shareholders. I need to make decisions based on what is best for me, and in this case I support the decision of UA as it ensures UA obtains more revenue and they will be around for the long term which is of interest to me. If the traveling public that are impacted and do not like the business decision of UA they can move their business elsewhere - people have choices. It is not like it is UA of nothing (for the majority of the traveling public).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm back to checking a bag, no desire to stand in BG2 if seated near the front of the airplane hoping for overhead space. I'm ok with being humbled in this case. Don't even care if I make it back to 1K, it isn't what it used to be. Long conversation with a fellow FT friend this morning, but I no longer care now that UA doesn't care about me. Flying UA this coming week, and flying SW the following week. I'm not upset with UA doing what they do, but if I'm stuck in Economy, and my company lets me expense the bag, there is really no need for me to focus anymore.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Just confirms my decision to make sure my carryon fits under the seat in front of me so I can wait peacefully in the gate lounge while the boarding circus rages around me then be one of the last through the gate
Sure I come across my occasional aisle seat poacher but that has always been easily and firmly resolved.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted
abaheti likes this.

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:30 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Hesitant to drop to Gold in the future because of this...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:59 pm

As a no status infrequent vacation flyer, I think I'm gonna buy this. Seems right up the alley for someone like me.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not for those of us who refuse the nude-o-scope treatment.
This isn't related to United though. While I have left the industry, trust me, the nude-o-scope should be the least of your concerns.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Perhaps some form of dynamic Boarding Group approach might be considered when the lines get too unbalanced. If BG2 is most of the plane and BG1 is smaller than a set amount, then other Premiers would get placed in BG1 by status. This has the advantage of not disrupting the CC and TOD purchase of Priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.