Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

Just saw that United has begun selling Priority Boarding to non-elites that would place them in Group 2 for as little as $9. Taking into account the significant # of people who purchase premier access, hold UA credit cards and of course all of us elites...you might as well just have two boarding groups. You already have the following customers in group 2:
  • Premier Gold
  • Star AllianceSM Gold
  • Premier Silver
  • Star Alliance Silver
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access
  • United MileagePlus Explorer, Club, Presidential PlusSM and Awards Cardmembers
Thoughts?

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/uni...rity-boarding/
http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...rity-boarding/
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Time to push the credit card holders down a notch.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
It'll be interesting to see on which flights this is available, and what logic is used for determining to whom the offers are made. Even more of a reason to line up and board on time since G2 will be longer than usual.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

aren’t they somewhere like in group 5 on AA (obviously, the groups aren’t necessarily identical otherwise)?

how is selling access to boarding groups much different than selling premier access, though?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ierAccess.aspx

“Premier Access lets you enjoy the convenience of dedicated airport check-in lines, exclusive security lanes at select airports and priority boarding, so you can get to the gate, your seat, and the overhead bin sooner.

Prices, starting at $15, are segment-based and subject to change. Premier Access is subject to availability. Premier Access purchases do not include priority baggage handling.​​​​​“

With PreCheck I don’t need or want exclusive security lines. And my dedicated checkin line is usually my smartphone.

And how many of those non-elite passengers that are allegedly choosing primarily based on cost are actually going to be willing to pay $9?
Fizzer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or at least bump Golds (and dare I say MM fliers) up a notch
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

aren’t they somewhere like in group 5 on AA (obviously, the groups aren’t necessarily identical otherwise)?

how is selling access to boarding groups much different than selling premier access, though?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ierAccess.aspx

“Premier Access lets you enjoy the convenience of dedicated airport check-in lines, exclusive security lanes at select airports and priority boarding, so you can get to the gate, your seat, and the overhead bin sooner.

Prices, starting at $15, are segment-based and subject to change. Premier Access is subject to availability. Premier Access purchases do not include priority baggage handling.​​​​​“

With PreCheck I don’t need or want exclusive security lines. And my dedicated checkin line is usually my smartphone.

And how many of those non-elite passengers that are allegedly choosing primarily based on cost are actually going to be willing to pay $9?

My In-laws would be a great example. They only fly twice a year and because of my influence, they don't fly Frontier, ever. They are happy to pay for simple stuff like this. Guess I picked a bad year to drop from 1K to Gold... I even talked them into Global Entry last year!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Said Jennifer Cool-Perik (merchandising program manager): Priority Boarding as a standalone product will offer choice to customers who want to board early yet do not want the full Premier Access product, primarily those with TSA PreCheck who do not need the security component."
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
$$$$$
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Getting to the point at some airports First Class/business security line quicker then precheck.
Halo117 and DErg like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

Not sure how larger group 2 will get with this, but I think it's time for UA to re-think the boarding groups. I think UA elites (even Silver) should get priority boarding over those who pay an annual fee for a credit card. AA does this to an extent; holders of the more expensive credit card get to board with the lowest-level elites (AA Gold) on AA, but all other card holders with priority boarding board after that group. UA could do this: let Club card holders board with Silvers and place Explorer card holders to a lower group. (Interestingly, AA gives people who purchased priority boarding the same priority as AA Gold members.)

It just seems odd to be me that Golds and Silvers, who fly a lot with UA and spend $6k or $3k in fares on UA (or gets a waiver by spending $25k+ on their Explorer card or by living outside the US), would get the same boarding priority as someone who pays $95 a year for a credit card.

For comparison:
AA: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp
DL: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-priority.html
elitefreak and DErg like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
My grumble is that purchasing E+ doesn't bump one up in the queue. I just plunked down $80 USD for an E+ seat YVR-IAH and I'm still going to have to board in Group 11. Even more annoying when you consider that the E+ seats are all full of Group 1 and 2 pax, so bins will be full - So I'll need to head down to row 68 to stash my bag, then swim up against the flow all the way back to seat 20 to sit down. Then repeat the process when I deplane.

Bottom line? Buying E+ should also buy you Group 2.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I have this offer on my trip coming up in May for all segments. EWR - SFO - OGG and back again.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
My grumble is that purchasing E+ doesn't bump one up in the queue. I just plunked down $80 USD for an E+ seat YVR-IAH and I'm still going to have to board in Group 11. Even more annoying when you consider that the E+ seats are all full of Group 1 and 2 pax, so bins will be full - So I'll need to head down to row 68 to stash my bag, then swim up against the flow all the way back to seat 20 to sit down. Then repeat the process when I deplane.

When you buy the equivalent on AA (Main Cabin Extra), you do get bumped up to group 5 (same group as CC holders).

I do think UA should give those who spend more better boarding priority.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by goalie
Or at least bump Golds (and dare I say MM fliers) up a notch
This would go a long way (although very late) to make up for the way MMers were treated/downgraded post merger. It would certainly do a lot to make me feel that those million+ butts in seat miles had/have some value/appreciation.

If the don't do something like this, group 2 will be an even bigger challenge (I am being polite).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by gglave
Do any of the other carriers do this? My parents were in MCE for their flight out to Denver this week and BG5 on their boarding passes. That's basically 'real' boarding group 6. Every elite was in front of them.

The short answer. $$$. But unless other carriers offer it (AA doesn't and I'm not positive about Delta) why should UA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.