Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
Getting to the point at some airports First Class/business security line quicker then precheck.
Shh, let's keep that on the down low.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of you have suggestions that are only going to work if UA goes to 3 formal early boarding groups like Delta (Premier, SkyPriority, Zone 1) vs UA's 2 (BG1, BG2). Then everyone would complain about copying Delta (especially Plats moved to BG 2 and a lot of current BG2ers pushed to (a new priority) BG3. UA send out an e-mail suggesting a trial of a new hyper-priority group (Front cabin and GS/1K) being tested at LAX, but I haven't experienced it in the last couple of times through (incl. LAX-LHR, which I thought would have been a candidate) - and it didn't re-juggle the remainder of the mob.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Meh, I don't think this is really anything to get crazy about. I can't imagine the delta between those who would've purchased premier access vs. just priority boarding will be very significant.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:20 pm

Group 2 already is like 50% of the plane..why not just call it the "Everyone" boarding group.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:21 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Shh, let's keep that on the down low.
Yeah, but don't you have to do the whole taking your lap top and toiletries out of your bag, taking off your jacket etc malarkey? I'd need the Premier lane to be a quite a lot faster that Pre-Check to make up for that.

Back on topic, in the current system I don't really see the point of group 3. It always seems tiny compared with group 2 and 4 anyway, so you could purpose it for cardholders and those paying $9 and still keep the existing 5 boarding groups intact. Then you'd have:

Pre-boarding as usual
BG 1 - business/first, 1K, Plat
BG 2 - silver & gold
BG 3 - cardholders & payers
BG 4 - economy
BG 5 - basic economy
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:24 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Never understood why people would pay to board early on anything but WN. As if multiple hours on a tube isn't long enough. Especially with the basic Economy options taking out some carry-on luggage.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by caverunner17
Never understood why people would pay to board early on anything but WN. As if multiple hours on a tube isn't long enough. Especially with the basic Economy options taking out some carry-on luggage.
This is directly aimed at those with bad experiences/anxiety over space in the overhead bins. I don't think anyone without a carry-on would pay for it.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by caverunner17
"Perceived Value". Personally, I'd rather pay $25 to check my luggage and not have to lug it around multiple airports than pay $18 for my husband and I to sit on the plane longer.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
This would go a long way (although very late) to make up for the way MMers were treated/downgraded post merger. It would certainly do a lot to make me feel that those million+ butts in seat miles had/have some value/appreciation.
This.
abaheti likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
UA is running a business. Many of us here in FT want to ensure we get our perceived entitlements as elite flyers, but UA needs to remain in business for us to maintain those. Am I happy with the TODs? Not when it means I do not get my upgrade, but longer term UA needs to be profitable to be viable long term. As someone who had lifetime club membership with Ansett Australia when they went under all my elite entitlements disappeared. So whatever UA can do to remain in business long term (well at least as long as I am alive) I am in full support. However, if it comes too much at what I consider the loss of my entitlements/benefits then I will take my business elsewhere. $9 to stand in BG2? Does not impact me when I am in BG1 so I am fine with that business decision.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
This is directly aimed at those with bad experiences/anxiety over space in the overhead bins. I don't think anyone without a carry-on would pay for it.
Unless they were BG5/Basic.

Hmm. Methinks this is potentially a way to tweak BE adding some options that's not as expensive as the current BE restrictions but allows them to look for some incremental plus ups, so to speak...

UA Website: ok, yes, I know that you bought BE, but for $9 more, we'll throw in a priority option...

And, besides, many of the BE folks are getting E+ seats anyway...

David
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Group 2 boarding lines are already a joke. I have seen literally half the plane (or more) standing in the Group 2 line now. It is a "false" benefit now that is even made worse. It is alllll about the $$$$.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by windhund
Not sure how larger group 2 will get with this, but I think it's time for UA to re-think the boarding groups. I think UA elites (even Silver) should get priority boarding over those who pay an annual fee for a credit card. AA does this to an extent; holders of the more expensive credit card get to board with the lowest-level elites (AA Gold) on AA, but all other card holders with priority boarding board after that group. UA could do this: let Club card holders board with Silvers and place Explorer card holders to a lower group. (Interestingly, AA gives people who purchased priority boarding the same priority as AA Gold members.)

It just seems odd to be me that Golds and Silvers, who fly a lot with UA and spend $6k or $3k in fares on UA (or gets a waiver by spending $25k+ on their Explorer card or by living outside the US), would get the same boarding priority as someone who pays $95 a year for a credit card.

For comparison:
AA: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp
DL: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-priority.html
What AA says will happen at the gate vs what actually happens at the gate can often be very very different. "Now boarding group 1. Now boarding groups 2-4."
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bhunt
Getting to the point at some airports First Class/business security line quicker then precheck.
Whenever flying out of DEN these days I always go to the bridge premium security line, and pretty much never anyone there. Definitely worth it instead of waiting 5-10 mins in Pre Check line.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
deleted

Last edited by Two Bee; Mar 9, 2018 at 5:30 pm Reason: decided to stay away from this subject

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.