Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA - Sports equipment: Golf
United accepts one item of golf equipment per customer as checked baggage.

An item of golf equipment consists of:
  • One golf bag containing 1 set of golf clubs
  • Golf balls
  • One pair of golf shoes
All items must be properly encased in a suitable container. The golf bag must be covered or enclosed in a heavy, rigid carrying case. United is not liable for damage to golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

First or second checked bag service charges may apply.Golfing bags measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain golf equipment will not be subject to any applicable oversize checked baggage service charges. Overweight baggage charges are applicable. Golf bags that do not contain golfing equipment will be subject to any applicable oversize and overweight checked baggage service charges.

Note: All customers, including MileagePlus® Premier® members, who check a golf bag may experience a delay in receiving their bag at the baggage claim due to the manner in which oversized items and sports equipment are required to be loaded, unloaded and delivered to baggage claim.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Nephroid
I've heard similar when I've checked skis. But in reality I throw in boots, jackets, helmets and dirty clothes on the way back. Never had a problem.
Rules for ski bag allows a bit more, 2 sets of skis, 1 separate boot bag and "associated equipment" as long as gross weight is under 50 lbs. So the size is waived, but not the weight for excess (in addition it allows the boot bag as an addl free piece.) https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/sports.aspx

"Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag.

If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply"
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I have been traveling with my golf clubs on a routine basis for the last 5 years without any incident, and my Callaway golf travel bag always contains one (in some case 2) pair of shoes, rain gear, and even a spare golf shirt & short. On return flights, I sometimes stuff in my dirty laundry bag.

I often get the TSA card telling me that the bag has been inspected, but my bags always arrived with me.

I will be flying with my golf bag again this coming Monday, and will let everyone know what the result will be.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Tblack15

Most posters have stated that they do and/or PLAN to lie in this situation (I agree it's a white lie & I'VE DONE IT!).Which would mean they believe their additional items are not allowed in the bag per the policy. Most posters also agree that this policy is in place to protect oversize & additional checked luggage revenue.

I plan to lie simply so that I minimize the risk of dealing with an arrogant agent who might feed me false TSA security info and hinder my bag reaching its final destination.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by zeus2120
..United has come such a long way with the onboard service -- to me it's usually outstanding..

Ok maybe they do smile. But with the disgusting food in intl. Y, no amount of personal service can compensation for that insult.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by zeus2120
I plan to lie simply so that I minimize the risk of dealing with an arrogant agent who might feed me false TSA security info and hinder my bag reaching its final destination.
I think how you pitch it to them is important, so they don't feel they are driving a wedge between the customer and the UA policy. There has to be fair way to everyone to save some green on this. I do think too much stuff in the bag could be a hazard, though.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sapguy
I have been traveling with my golf clubs on a routine basis for the last 5 years without any incident, and my Callaway golf travel bag always contains one (in some case 2) pair of shoes, rain gear, and even a spare golf shirt & short. On return flights, I sometimes stuff in my dirty laundry bag.

I often get the TSA card telling me that the bag has been inspected, but my bags always arrived with me.

I will be flying with my golf bag again this coming Monday, and will let everyone know what the result will be.
Checked my golf bag at PHL today, and not a word was said. They simply tagged the golf bag and my other suitcase & sent me on my way.

Now, this is my home airport, so they know me here.

I will be checking the golf bag again at PHX tomorrow and again at IAH on Wednesday, so we'll see how things go
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC
The ironic thing about all this is that United has a deal with the PGA Tour. So I'd say a fair amount of players fly United. Coming from a player who's taken advantage of said deal and have had way more than one pair of shoes and some balls with my clubs. Never heard a word about anything. Gonna chalk it up to being an over-zealous agent.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:47 am

Question Are Golf Clubs for Silver considered part of the baggage allowance or do I pay extra?

Looking for some help on a basic question for a colleague of mine.

She is a Silver on UA. She will be traveling with golf clubs and she wants to know, assuming she carries on her personal belongings as a carry on and she checks the golf clubs (under 62 linear inches in total), will the golf clubs be considered her free check bag? Thxs
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Yes, she'll be fine. See Sports Equipment section on United.com

Golf clubs count as a regular bag.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Flying business transatlantic on United. I have * Gold status (TK).
Can I take 2 bags + golf bag or 3 bags + golf bag?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
If *G in Business traveling intl... 3 bags tops. (two bags + clubs. )
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by tods27
Yes, she'll be fine. See Sports Equipment section on United.com

Golf clubs count as a regular bag.
I'm also a Silver and can confirm that there will be no issues. I wasn't charged the baggage fee when I checked my golf clubs and took a carry on with me on the plane.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm travelling this weekend with a cousin who is on his own PNR and does not have status.
As a Plat, can I check both his and my clubs?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:27 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by hindle
I'm travelling this weekend with a cousin who is on his own PNR and does not have status.
As a Plat, can I check both his and my clubs?
You should be able to check in up to 3 items as a plat on your PNR.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
You should be able to check in up to 3 items as a plat on your PNR.
Yes, but UA may refuse the second golf bag. Per the policy linked earlier in the thread:

United accepts one item of golf equipment per customer as checked baggage
(emphasis added)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.