Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 5 March 2018 per Chicago Tribune (and confirmed by internal employee memo
United walks back new bonus lottery system that angered employees
United Airlines on Monday reversed plans to begin awarding bonuses through a lottery system that angered employees.

Scott Kirby, president of the Chicago-based airline, said United was “pressing the pause button” on changes that would have handed out larger bonuses to only a fraction of its workers after hearing employees’ feedback since announcing the changes late last week.

Per Chicago Business Journal, 2 March 2018
​​​​​​​United Airlines employees shocked: Bonuses replaced with lottery

United Airlines President Scott Kirby sent shock waves through the employee ranks at the Chicago-based airline today.

Kirby issued an employee memo in which he announced that the Chicago-based airline is dropping the quarterly performance bonuses the carrier had been giving out to all employees qualified to receive them.

Kirby said in the memo, obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, that the bonus payouts are being replaced with a new program called "core4 Score Rewards," which Kirby said would include quarterly prizes like cash ranging from $2,000 to $40,000, luxury cars, vacation packages, and a grand of prize of $100,000 awarded to one eligible employee per quarter.
Print Wikipost

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by halls120

you’re kidding, right?
about as much as the person who posed above that this was obviously a master-stroke as United would have run a survey and found this was the way to go.

If there is on thing that 2012-2018 has taught us about United in the Smisik-Kirby era, it is that UA just makes simplistic decisions w/o bothering to do the type of market research as to the impact their (usually short term cost cutting) decisions will have.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Rather than a random lottery it would be better if it was at least performance based.
"Performance based" and "union" go together like oil and water.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Cannot speak for all national media, but this made news on Fox late this morning. My brother's MIL is a senior FA for UA, and very outspoken. I keep waiting for something from her on FB, but I know she is on vacation at the moment.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
"Performance based" and "union" go together like oil and water.
And yet it seems to be the non-union management at United that is giving the most lackluster performance. Interesting.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I betcha my CEO and Kirby know each other. When we were discussing how to recognize our employees for an outstanding year, someone brought up the $1000 bonuses. Thought the CEO was going to be ill. He suggested we hand out tee shirts instead. I said it would not be long before we saw tee shirts saying "The shareholders got a $45,000,000 kiss from the feds and all I got was this lousy tee shirt!"
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
764toHI and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
To add-on, Bloomberg is saying UAL will solicit feedback from employees before going out with a new incentive plan. If anything, glad to see this management team responds to criticism / negative feedback.

notquiteaff, wrp96 and SkiPremier like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
There was an announcement up on the employee site about "pressing the pause button" as referenced in that tweet.

It disappeared for a bit, then came back slightly re-worded and via email (from Kirby) as well.

Props to them (for now), I guess...
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Annnd another Kirby initiative had to be pulled back.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Next step is to get rid of Kirby altogether and give Oscar a 2nd chance to fix things. If not, out with Oscar also.
ContinentalFan and Austin787 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Well folks, it's been fun. Until the next alt universe great idea is presented.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
I hope he isn't. it's a well written post and I agree totally.
UA employees aren't working on commission. Setting up a bonus system that fails to recognize that it takes the entire team for a flight to leave and arrive on time is counterproductive to UA stated goals for on time departure and arrival. Kirby's idea would be great if United sold cars on the lot, but they don't. It' a massively stupid idea that is going to undercut UA's performance across the board.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by oopl
Next step is to get rid of Kirby altogether and give Oscar a 2nd chance to fix things. If not, out with Oscar also.
I wonder what’s going on with the executive team today. Kirby really messed up—and publicly too. His days should be numbered. He wasn’t offering the employees a bonus plan; he gave them an IQ test with predictable results.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Nevermind. Kirby is walking back the plan after it blew it up his face. The Chicago Tribune this afternoon reports there will be no change.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-united-bonus-lottery-20180306-story.html
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Well folks, it's been fun. Until the next alt universe great idea is presented.
Oh it's not over. Kirby is merely “pressing the pause button” on this plan. I'm sure they're meeting right now to discuss another way to word a similar, cost-cutting plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.