Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need DPS to EWR award for 6, only 4 presently available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I was lucky enough to get awards to Bali for the 6 of us(7/29 on CX) and trying to get us home on 8/27 or 8/28-economy award with United.I can only find availability for 4.Is it possible to purchase the 4 seats and then try again for 2?Anyone ever had success doing that?I know I can split us up on the 2 days,but I'm the only experienced traveler and the others are a bit nervous about travelling without me...any input appreciated,tia...
Barbara
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by samee
Is it possible to purchase the 4 seats and then try again for 2?
They may open up more inventory at some point, but there's no guarantee either way.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you only see xn or x at 4, you will not see more after booking. Maybe find the four the better routing, book yourself the other route, and keep checking to move over. If UA metal, they may even let you waitlist.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I see 6 tickets available on 8/28 (at a standard rate, not saver) for DPS-SIN-PEK-EWR (SQ, CA, and UA metal respectively). Long layover times, but it is what it is...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
If you only see xn or x at 4, you will not see more after booking. Maybe find the four the better routing, book yourself the other route, and keep checking to move over. If UA metal, they may even let you waitlist.
Since UA doesn't fly to DPS, there's at least one partner segment in there.

OP: I would search for awards from SIN, CGK, HKG, BKK, or MNL, and then consider purchasing a positioning flight to there. If you're willing to consider LCCs (e.g. AirAsia), you can likely find a pretty reasonable fare. You may want to give yourself a long layover at the connecting point, though -- and don't forget to budget for any luggage you need to bring.

Otherwise, just keep watching inventory from DPS and hop on anything that looks reasonable -- it can disappear quickly, especially when you need 6. You might consider an ExpertFlyer subscription, as you can set alerts for award space on your preferred flights.

Good luck!
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Good idea-thanks jsloan.There are 6 from Bkk so checking air asia..Psi-thanks,unfortunately I only have enough for saver...thanks everyone for your responses...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I like jsloan's idea.

Head the warning though: SQ availability through UA is spotty at best and SQ will be your best option out of DPS. I recently had an award ticket to DPS booked through UA (xxx-LAX-SIN-DPS). I made a change to the ticket and the agent botched the entire thing and never moved SIN-DPS to the correct date (thus I would have arrived in SIN after my SIN-DPS actually left). Both ExpertFlyer and SQ agreed there was "X" space open on the SIN-DPS flight I wanted to get on but United said no. I tried and tried and tried and never got them to book the space. Then I saw all SQ SIN-DPS flights disappear from United for an entire month. I wound up cancelling that entire itinerary and went to SYD instead via the IAH-SYD route.

-RM
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:12 pm

Looks like the amount is DPS-SIN constrained. SIN-EWR has availability for Aug 28 (6 people, using SIN-LAX, 40K miles). Perhaps just pay for DPS-SIN on AirAsia for a few people ($62 a person as of now) and book them on the SIN-EWR award, and the rest on the DPS-EWR on the same flight?

Looks like jsloan suggested this above.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Update-so I took a chance and booked the 4 seats yesterday;about 5 mins later 1 more opened up so I grabbed it!So now I'll just have to wait it out for myself,but at least the 5 are together.Appreciate your input...
mrt88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.