Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reward reservation change fee not paid, rest of itinerary cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I initiated a reward reservation change online for the return segments but did not complete the process by paying the change fee.
Hence, the change was not completed. As a result, the remaining itinerary ie the returning segments were cancelled.
I did not receive an email regarding this. I only found this out by accident when I decided to check on my itinerary.

I called in and was told that when I did not complete the reservation change fee, the remaining itinerary is cancelled.
Is this standard procedure???

I was given very limited options on alternative days to my destination HKG. I accepted the flights offered.
A few days later, I found a better option to a nearby airport SZX on my desired date. However, I was told SZX is in a different region
for mileage purpose and it would cost me additional 25K in miles. I accepted the change. However, 2 days prior to my returning flights,
I found a reward flight available to HKG. The change was made.

Do I have a recourse to recover the additional 25K miles I paid since my destination is HKG?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if you were charged too many miles you can ask for a refund. Based on the gazillion changes you already initiated I would probably fly the ticket and then ask for the 25k miles back.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The lesson I take from OPs experience is to never try and change any award booking. Even initiating a change but then not completing it can have negative consequences.

For me, it's book or cancel and then book something else (actually book something else then cancel the original booking). As OP discovered, United is very good at cancelling bookings, but not so much at changing them.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
The lesson I take from OPs experience is to never try and change any award booking. Even initiating a change but then not completing it can have negative consequences. ....
Generally it is a bad idea to do an online change of a booking with a partner flight -- as in this case, if any goes wrong, include phantom inventory or partner does not confirm the new itinerary, the original award will be lost and UA may not be able to reverse the damage. Partner flight changes should ONLY be done with an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.