Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Above seat carry on space in first class if late arrival and/or row 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Above seat carry on space in first class if late arrival and/or row 1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by findark
They already do this (gate checks are free) and it hasn't solved the problem.
Originally Posted by fezzington
This already happens every day when GAs offer free gate checks. And still, people in group 4 (and occasionally, late arriving elites) have to check bags.
No, a gate check is different. A lot of casual flyers don't want to "lug their bag all the way to the gate", including through non-precheck TSA, esp if they get the airport early and want to do some shopping or eat some food. Once they are at the podium and the flight is boarding, the marginal hassle of getting the bag on the plane is small (and less, maybe, than waiting at baggage claim on the other end).

I offer as evidence that the overhead bin space was usually not as crowded before the majors starting charging for bags (2008). Yes, loads were lighter too, but I think there was a natural equilibrium where enough people checked bags that it wasn't such a crisis like it is now. Add a $25 fee for the half the plane that is likely to consider checking, and boom: big problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.