Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passenger Opens Emergency Exit, Uses Slide To Leave Plane Parked At Gate At Newark

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Opens Emergency Exit, Uses Slide To Leave Plane Parked At Gate At Newark

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As fastair points out, that's just for the main doors, not the emergency exits.
The exits at the rear of the plane are not generally "emergency exits", and those exits as well are disarmed upon landing for servicing of catering, cleaning, etc (who enter from the rear of the plane in most cases). The article states the passenger "went to the back" so I am presuming he was using one of the rear-most doors, which depending on the situation may have been armed or disarmed at the time.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:44 am

For normal operations, overwing exits will always be armed as they aren't opened unless its an emergency. Maintenance will deactivate the exits before opening them if they are opened for non-emergency reasons.
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wayside
For normal operations, overwing exits will always be armed as they aren't opened unless its an emergency. Maintenance will deactivate the exits before opening them if they are opened for non-emergency reasons.
Which was what I thought may have happened, but then upon rereading the story this: "and then went to the back of the plane" - this makes me think he was using one of the rear galley doors. The story further separates the actions of opening the door and deploying the slide: "as other passengers were boarding, opened the emergency exit door, deployed the emergency slide and then went down it" - and the story does so with a comma. It's arguably semantics, but my reading is that he went to the back, opened the disarmed door, and pulled the slide release mechanism to deploy the slide and leave (in lieu of him just jumping out).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I just hope he gets a bill.
this. Any expenses related to this, up to and including revenue lost because the plane can’t fly it’s scheduled flights due to having the slide replaced, should be recovered by UA from this idiot.

If you want to get off the plane while the flight is still boarding, there is an easy way to do this without affecting everyone else on the flight, plus downline segments on this frame. Even fairly easy to get the plane back to the gate if it’s already taxiing. Opening the emergency exit is the probably the way that is the most disruptive to every stakeholder.

Also hope this pax is banned from UA for life.
wrp96 and chermorg like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Just don't decide you want to get off while the plane is taxiing to the runway, as happened on a flight of mine VIE-LHR. He came forward, and asked to be let off.
Needless to say, he was eventually met by folks in cars with flashing lights... The rest of us had to go to the penalty box, confirm all of our checked luggage, and re-enter the airport. Major PITA.I would have loved to send the guy a bill for my disruptions...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Pax will probably use public defender to plead reason of insanity - paranoia set in and had to leave...
What a moron.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
From the pictures I've seen, this plane was an airbus.

A319/320s are equipped with 4 door exits, and 4 over wing emergency exits. The over wing emergency exits are always armed, unless maintenance is being performed on them (and no pax are present). The 4 door exits are armed after main cabin door closure ("Flight attendants, prepare doors for departure....") and disarmed upon arrival to the gate.

From the pictures, it was a door exit that was blown. Looked like the 2L door to me but I can't be 100% sure. If it was the 2L, the passenger would've had to have gotten up (after door closure and arming), walked to the rear, and pulled the handle. Safety demo time is always my personal fear of this happening - the closest FA is by the OWE, leaving a clear path for someone to blow the slide.

Also, from what I've heard, it's about $20,000 to repack one of those things.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: most of them
how could he get on the wrong plane? don't they check bps at boarding?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by chermorg
...opened the disarmed door, and pulled the slide release mechanism to deploy the slide and leave (in lieu of him just jumping out).
I don't think this is possible due to the nature of the arming mechanism. If an unarmed door is opened, it must be shut, armed, then re-opened to blow the slide. The door must have been armed first in this scenario.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
It happens more often than you would think. Gate reader beeps, GA doesn't hear/ignores it, and you have a passenger on the wrong plane. If it's a full flight, then a seat dupe is the first sign of an issue onboard. Some FAs make an announcement confirming the flight number and destination for just this reason (personally, I inject a bit of humor into mine, and get chuckles occasionally)
jetaway96 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fezzington
I don't think this is possible due to the nature of the arming mechanism. If an unarmed door is opened, it must be shut, armed, then re-opened to blow the slide. The door must have been armed first in this scenario.
To my knowledge it is not just an option but an FAA requirement that all slides have a manual deployment handle/strap in case the door either is not armed or the slide does not automatically deploy.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by chermorg
To my knowledge it is not just an option but an FAA requirement that all slides have a manual deployment handle/strap in case the door either is not armed or the slide does not automatically deploy.
There is a manual deployment strap. It's located on the slide, and is for when the slide fails to automatically inflate when deployed.

The slides are housed in the doors. "Arming" a door means connecting the slide to the body of the plane. The 737 is the easiest way to demonstrate:
-- the girt bar is connected to floor brackets, so that when a door is opened in the armed mode, the slide (located in the door on the bubble near the floor) is deployed. If it fails to inflate, there's a manual handle. An airbus does the same thing, but it's done with a lever:

Opening a disarmed door leaves the slide in it's stowed location. (You can see it every time you board a plane)
goodeats21, jetaway96 and chermorg like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Which credit card was used to book the trip?
Will Chase/Amex/Barclays etc... foot the bill for the $20,000 expense?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by glennaa11
The article linked by OP indicated that he did have a ticket for the flight he boarded.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Has economy gotten THAT bad that he couldn't survive a trip to Tampa?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Has economy gotten THAT bad that he couldn't survive a trip to Tampa?
Perhaps an emotional support creature lurking in his vicinity triggered a panic attack?
muji likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.