Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQM 300% Bonus Not Showing on J Fare on SA (SAA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQM 300% Bonus Not Showing on J Fare on SA (SAA)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Question PQM 300% Bonus Not Showing on J Fare on SA (SAA)

I am trying to book a ticket from JNB to JFK for May. There is a nonstop flight UA7225, which is operated by South Africa Airways. When I go to book it (I suspect because I am booking one-way) the cheapest fare is the J fare, which according to the PQM rules on United, should be 300% PQM. However, on this route, it only shows up as 100% PQM. I was also looking at a flight through FRA operated by Lufthansa (again, same J fare) and that appears to get the full 300% PQM. It's not a whole lot longer, nor more expensive to go through FRA on Lufthansa, so all things being equal, the ~20K PQM seem to be worth quite a bit. The lack of a nonstop flight is a bummer though. As an aside, booking directly with South African Airways is a lot cheaper, which is a real kick to the teeth.

Is this all because South African Airways is operating on different codeshare rules than Lufthansa?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
As you can see on the MileagePlus chart in the following link, J class on South African only earns 100% PQM: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...n-airways.html
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffLac
I am trying to book a ticket from JNB to JFK for May. There is a nonstop flight UA7225, which is operated by South Africa Airways. When I go to book it (I suspect because I am booking one-way) the cheapest fare is the J fare, which according to the PQM rules on United, should be 300% PQM. However, on this route, it only shows up as 100% PQM. I was also looking at a flight through FRA operated by Lufthansa (again, same J fare) and that appears to get the full 300% PQM. It's not a whole lot longer, nor more expensive to go through FRA on Lufthansa, so all things being equal, the ~20K PQM seem to be worth quite a bit. The lack of a nonstop flight is a bummer though. As an aside, booking directly with South African Airways is a lot cheaper, which is a real kick to the teeth.

Is this all because South African Airways is operating on different codeshare rules than Lufthansa?
MileagePlus miles are awarded based upon the operating carrier, no matter whose code is on it. You can't get more PQM for the same flight by booking on UA vs. booking directly with SA. They only difference is that flights ticketed on 016 stock (issued by United, that is) will accrue PQD, whereas those issued on other airlines won't.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! So many different charts to consult and they're not always linked together.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by 764toHI
As you can see on the MileagePlus chart in the following link, J class on South African only earns 100% PQM: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...n-airways.html
That page has some interesting contradictions and interestingly refers to SAA as EgyptAir in the footnotes
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
MileagePlus miles are awarded based upon the operating carrier, no matter whose code is on it. You can't get more PQM for the same flight by booking on UA vs. booking directly with SA. They only difference is that flights ticketed on 016 stock (issued by United, that is) will accrue PQD, whereas those issued on other airlines won't.
This isn't quite what I was getting at, but you bring up a good point. If I book directly with SA, can I earn PQM on United?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffLac
This isn't quite what I was getting at, but you bring up a good point. If I book directly with SA, can I earn PQM on United?
Yes, absolutely. Just credit the flight to MileagePlus. You'll earn the same PQM that you would if you booked on United. You'll earn redeemable miles based upon distance, instead of price, and you won't earn PQD, but those are the only differences.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, absolutely. Just credit the flight to MileagePlus. You'll earn the same PQM that you would if you booked on United. You'll earn redeemable miles based upon distance, instead of price, and you won't earn PQD, but those are the only differences.
which on a full J ticket will be quite substantial. 10k miles vs. 75k miles ... or something like that? I would book via ZRH or FRA on LH or LX.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
which on a full J ticket will be quite substantial. 10k miles vs. 75k miles ... or something like that? I would book via ZRH or FRA on LH or LX.
Well, yes, but presumably the reason to book on SA was to avoid paying full-fare J prices. OP mentioned it was much cheaper. For expensive tickets, if there's no price difference, you should book UA, but when there is a substantial price difference, you're normally better off booking the other carrier. You can buy the extra miles from Award Accelerator cheaper than the difference in fare between discount J and full-fare J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.